Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16" vs 18" barrel

Mike9250

Is an 18" barrel still the way to go, or are 16" barrels starting to become the norm? Do people mainly run an 18" just for the rifle length gas system, or do the extra 2" of barrel really help that much? I'm going to re-barrel one of my rifles and I'm trying to decide what is the best compromise between weight, accuracy, gas system length, balance, etc. Would also like to hear some opinions on barrel profiles. Thanks in advance

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Kurt's profile choice. I can't help but think his preferred length is skewed by the fact that he runs real irons like a boss. I'll recommend the Stretch16 barrel, gas system feels equal to a rifle length (to me), it has Kurt's favorite profile, accurate and I don't feel the slight velocity you gain from 2" of barrel helps at all at 3 gun distances.

If the barrel and ammo shoots well then take the time to chrono your load so you really understand the ballistics. Know your long range holdovers and how to use your reticle, and barrel length won't matter. Rifle gas or mid length also won't matter much if you've got a nice brake and adjustable gas system. It's really all up to you, what do you want to shoot?

Edited by Moltke

Is an 18" barrel still the way to go, or are 16" barrels starting to become the norm? Do people mainly run an 18" just for the rifle length gas system, or do the extra 2" of barrel really help that much? I'm going to re-barrel one of my rifles and I'm trying to decide what is the best compromise between weight, accuracy, gas system length, balance, etc. Would also like to hear some opinions on barrel profiles. Thanks in advance

I am liking my Stretch 16 build. Nothing wrong with the long barrels just don't think they are needed for this game. You only gain a touch of velocity.

Thanks for the replies. This build is currently set up for limited, and it has a Vortex Spitfire on it. Though it may get a magnified optic in the future. Max distance for matches around here is about 400, though 220-300 is more common for my monthly local match. I currently have a LW stainless barrel, but it doesn't seem to do well accuracy-wise when hot. I have an Odin 18" intermediate gas and a Rainier 16" mid gas to pick from to replace it. I like the looks of the Stretch, but was trying to stick with a $250-ish budget.

I am liking my Stretch 16 build. Nothing wrong with the long barrels just don't think they are needed for this game. You only gain a touch of velocity.

The trend is towards shorter barrels at the moment.

True I think 3gun nations type courses had a role in that change. But overall with the advent of the intermediate gas system on a 16 inch barrel the 18 inch barrel is no longer the standard.

Pat

True I think 3gun nations type courses had a role in that change. But overall with the advent of the intermediate gas system on a 16 inch barrel the 18 inch barrel is no longer the standard.

Pat

That said, I currently run an 18" rifle. Didn't feel like running a semi-proprietary gas system length at the moment.

There are many right answers and no perfect one. 16 and 18 are both fine, mid or rifle length gas is fine too. My current setup is a Mega Arms 16" rifle gas & Seekins adjustable gas block combined with a Vltor A5 recoil system and a JP stainless LWBCG and JP comp. My rifles recoil is flat and soft, but there are many other combinations of components that will work just as well. Really, with any decent set of parts it's the shooter not the gun.

It all about how far out the target is and the penalty when you miss it.

Rather you miss or hit has more to do with skill than barrel length.

Agreed. I guess my question should have been, "If I'm going to build a new 16" rifle, is the Stretch 16 one of the best 16" barrels available".

16" Carbine, No. 16" Mid-Length, okay. Stretch16 is the bomb. I would run an 18" rifle gas if i could not run the Stretch16. Soft as an 18", just a tad less velocity, and at least as accurate.

One of my fellow Stretch16 shooters had a case separation at SMM3G. The well polished chamber, another round went in, wedged into the front half of the case and he was able to extract it and continue. On most barrels, that stage would have been a much bigger disaster. I have shot my Stretch16s against several 16, 16.5, 17, 18 and 20 inch barrels and while it is a precision barrel, it is a great choice for 3Gunners.

Thanks for the replies. This build is currently set up for limited, and it has a Vortex Spitfire on it. Though it may get a magnified optic in the future. Max distance for matches around here is about 400, though 220-300 is more common for my monthly local match. I currently have a LW stainless barrel, but it doesn't seem to do well accuracy-wise when hot. I have an Odin 18" intermediate gas and a Rainier 16" mid gas to pick from to replace it. I like the looks of the Stretch, but was trying to stick with a $250-ish budget.

Rainier has a limited run of lightweight 16" intermediate gas for $299.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-223-wylde-barrel-int-16-rock-creek-blank

Stretch16 IMO is unnecessarily heavy for gun games, nor do I feel the cost is worth it for the gains. A lighter profile is my preference.

I'm a mediocre to average shooter, so this advice is worth what you paid for it.

Edited by SubOrbital

I put on a Faxon 18" 3 Gunner barrel a few months ago. It amazes many when they pick it up, very light with 15" Samson Evo FFT. That barrel shoots just over 1 MOA, after a full magazine dump, with bulk ammo. YMMV.

16" Carbine, No. 16" Mid-Length, okay. Stretch16 is the bomb. I would run an 18" rifle gas if i could not run the Stretch16. Soft as an 18", just a tad less velocity, and at least as accurate.

One of my fellow Stretch16 shooters had a case separation at SMM3G. The well polished chamber, another round went in, wedged into the front half of the case and he was able to extract it and continue. On most barrels, that stage would have been a much bigger disaster. I have shot my Stretch16s against several 16, 16.5, 17, 18 and 20 inch barrels and while it is a precision barrel, it is a great choice for 3Gunners.

Did that happen to someone else as well our were you talking about me? I had two case separations that I was able to get out by mortaring the rifle and kept going and luckily was able to finish the stage. I have the fluted melonited barrel and I absolutely love it