Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picked up an incomplete 550, have questions

This press does have #1 shell plate, a powder measure, priming set up and 30.06 dies.

I do have a complete Hornady LnL AP and want to "test" out this 550 without spending a pile of $ but want to prime on the press. I understand my other dies will work and will use another case activated powder measure if necessary.

Do you use a separate tube in the primer feeder ?

Is the primer catcher cup available or is there a better device ?

I do not have anything under the primer slide like I see in pictures (delrin bearing?) Is it needed ?

Can you just purchase a small primer cup ?

I'm not sure of the age of this press, the powder measure and primer set up look different than the pictures on Dillon's site.

I will take a few pictures tomorrow. Maybe it will help identify what I need to get things running.

Thanks, FWest

Compare the parts you've got with the following schematic and see whats missing. One of the great things about your press is every part is available.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/docs/550_Schematic.pdf

Additional schematics are available for the primer system.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I know that we will get some answers on costs from other members but how about you box up the press and send it to Dillon for a rebuild and replacement/add the parts needed. Some of the parts will be free and some will cost you, Dillons NO BS Warranty is awesome. Nothing fancy needs to be added to the 550, keep it clean, properly lubricated and adjusted.

Watch the video, it shows the major parts of the primer system and how they should be treated. Maybe from the video and a schematic you can figure out exactly whats missing. On Dillons web site they have the schematic. When new to reloading this guy's videos were helpful to me. Hope this helps you.

Don't know why I can't post the video, it is youtube, tactical priority, video name, "reloading on a Dillon 550b changing the primer size"

Edited by MyWifeShootsBetter

I just got a lee powder drum measurer it might be an option for you.You will need a rifle charging die from lee also probably set you back 60.00.for pistol you can just use the manufacture powder thru dies.This measure throws some seriously dead on loads over and over.The only trick to Make it run right is wash it with dawn and hot water.I threw 50 loads to settle it in and it runs like a top.

I know that we will get some answers on costs from other members but how about you box up the press and send it to Dillon for a rebuild and replacement/add the parts needed. Some of the parts will be free and some will cost you, Dillons NO BS Warranty is awesome. Nothing fancy needs to be added to the 550, keep it clean, properly lubricated and adjusted.

Watch the video, it shows the major parts of the primer system and how they should be treated. Maybe from the video and a schematic you can figure out exactly whats missing. On Dillons web site they have the schematic. When new to reloading this guy's videos were helpful to me. Hope this helps you.

Don't know why I can't post the video, it is youtube, tactical priority, video name, "reloading on a Dillon 550b changing the primer size"

I would go this route 100%

This 550 is in fine shape. I did a "major cleaning" as seen in one of the videos on Dillon's site. Removed all dried grease and oil and re lubed with synthetic blue grease I use in my shop. The ram got 30wt oil.

The issue I was having was the priming system. I called and got the answers I needed and ordered the primer magazines, small primer slider, bearing, primer catcher cup and some other gear.

Thanks for the suggestions.