Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier importance

I've shot two local matches so far and have had a blast and definitely learned my weak points and flaws in shooting. My big question is that this coming weekend I have an opportunity to either shoot another local match Saturday or the classifier Sunday and I can only attend one of the two and not both. I plan to get my idpa membership this week and I'm curious if it would be better to just shoot the match for practice or shoot the classifier Sunday to become classified?

I would shoot the match for experience. I have not shot an IDPA classifier yet (there is one in April, but it conflicts with a USPSA match at another range). The last chance that I had to shoot an IDPA classifier there was also a match conflict. I chose to shoot the match for experience. You will know your classification by how well you do in a match against the best shooters. I've discovered at two nearby ranges with IDPA shoots that more than a few people practice the classifier a lot and then shoot it, but do not shoot "their classifier class" at matches.

Edited to add recent example. Last week I shot an IDPA match with 20 people (it was a bit chilly that morning). There were four stages with some steel, lots of targets half-covered with no-shoots, a couple of moving targets with no-shoots in front of them, etc. The match winner and second place finisher were A-classified and high B-classified USPSA shooters. I was third place (I hold no classifications) by only .38 seconds (only 4.8 seconds behind the winner) I was first shooter in my squad on Stage One and we had to start kneeling with hands on a prop. We had to scoot over and shoot from cover at an array of five targets at varying distances and positions. Two targets were half-covered by no-shoots. My second shot touched the perf line of a no-shoot (and thus a penalty). Without the penalty I would have won the match ("coulda shoulda" . . .). However, there were at least 12 experienced IDPA shooters, several with classifications, below me (fourth place was seven seconds behind me). Some of those shooters were MMs and SSs. I know I can "hang with" or beat SS IDPA shooters (from this match and previous match experience). I don't what I would get in a classification, but I don't really care at this point in time. I "estimate" my classification based on match results.

Edited by Steppenwolf

at some point you need to be classified (rated) to participate in major matches. in my experience, shooting regular matches is way more fun than doing the classifier, so i'd pick the match over the classifier.

classifier does "teach" the basics though so good to do. strong hand, weak hand, barricade, moving forward and backward, etc.

Most clubs follow the rules. You don't NEED to shoot a Classifier yet, but "participating in major matches" has nothing to do with being Classified.

3.19.5 I will maintain an accurate Classification by shooting a Classifier at least every 12 months. Unless a Master or Distinguished Master Classification is attained, a Match Performance Promotion has occurred in the last 12 months, or a Sanctioned Match has been completed in the last 12 months without DNF or DQ. See rule 9.2 for more details.

If you have access to a 20 yard range, 3 targets and a few barrels you can easily set up and shoot the Classifier by yourself.

I highly recommend it as a training exercise. Even as dry fire.

Some of the best 90 rounds you will expend...BUT, it is a MEASURE of current skill. Improving your skills requires more repetitions of fundamentals.

Except for the fact that a lot of major IDPA matches require membership and classification to participate.

Of course they do. And it's not "a lot of" major matches, it's every single one of them. That's the point. It's a match requirement to be currently classified to participate in that match, but it's an IDPA membership requirement to be classified.

shoot the classifier. matches happen all the time, the classifier doesn't. it's also really the only constant with which to track your progress.

Bingo.