Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Me decide on a limited pistol!

travisb2352

Hey guys,

New to the forum and hoping yall could help me decide on a limited pistol. I am selling my SCAR 16 to fund my USPSA addiction and would like to get a nice STI in .40 to put a lot of time and training into. I plan on ordering from Atlas Gunworks, they seem to be knowledgeable, do great tune/trigger jobs, and have good pricing.

My choice is between A.- STI DVC Limited with a Atlas tune and trigger job- keeps the plastic grip

Option B- STI Edge with metal Phoenix trinity grip, tune and trigger job. My understanding is that includes a magwell and a tool-less guide rod

Ive been reading that the DVC is super snappy and a bit finnicky due to the slide lightening, and felt recoil is alot greater when compared to a heavier edge. I'm not a rockstar shooter but can hold my own, and I plan on getting better with this gun. Im coming from shooting production with longslide glocks/M&P's also.

Does the metal grip make a huge difference, which would yall choose. Thanks in Advance!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a DVC Limited that Atlas installed a PT SS grip. Adds a lot of weight to the pistol. I feel the DVC is now a little heavy towards the grip, light in the front. Gun feels like it flips more than before. I may see if a lighter magwell helps, but I really don't want to put more money into this gun.

That may be less of an issue with the heavier Edge slide.

Good choice going with Atlas. I have Adam building my next Limited gun. Excellent work and easy to deal with.

Option B- STI Edge with metal Phoenix trinity grip, tune and trigger job. My understanding is that includes a magwell and a tool-less guide rod

This is what I shoot and I came from a glock 35. I shot it for 6 months before having the slide lightened.

I'd rather have an edge with a good trigger and metal grip than a DVC with a plastic grip.

I would go with option B. The heavier slide of the edge will help dampen recoil. You can experiment with recoil spring and mainspring weights to tune the feel of the gun. You can always have metal removed in the future if you think you need it.

I would ditch the tool-less guide rod, I tried one and the little lever bent after a disassemble and jammed up my gun big time. Luckily it was just in practice and not during a major match or a match in general. Just get a regular full length guide rod and be done with it.

I have a Brazos HP Edge with an early version PT grip, an EGW SS full length guide rod and a Cameron's BAM magwell (see avatar). It weighs in at about 50 ounces, give or take. Its big and heavy, but I am a bigger person and don't like my guns light. Does it hurt my transitions? I don't think it affects them too much. You definitely need to dryfire with it and some dummy rounds of brass and bullets to get used to the weight.

I would get what you need with just a little bit of what you want and save money for mags, pouches, holster and ammo to practice, practice, practice.

I have a Brazos HP Edge with an early version PT grip, an EGW SS full length guide rod and a Cameron's BAM magwell (see avatar). It weighs in at about 50 ounces, give or take. Its big and heavy, but I am a bigger person and don't like my guns light. Does it hurt my transitions? I don't think it affects them too much. You definitely need to dryfire with it and some dummy rounds of brass and bullets to get used to the weight.

I would get what you need with just a little bit of what you want and save money for mags, pouches, holster and ammo to practice, practice, practice.

I have handled STI Edges before but none with the steel grip. I dont mind the weight and I dont think getting a lighter gun would speed up my times (im shooting the plastic fantastics now). How does the metal grip adjust the recoil impulse and center of gravity for the pistol? Do you prefer it to a lighter plastic grip?

I do prefer the weight of the steel grips. Feels more solid in my hand. I find that the recoil is dampened a bit, but more that the center of gravity for the gun is lowered with the additional weight below the web of your hand. There is less flip during the shot because of the added inertia of the steel grip counteracting the slide movement.

The profiles of the steel grips are a little different from the standard STI plastic, so if you can find someone with a steel grip and go for a test drive, do it.

I do prefer the weight of the steel grips. Feels more solid in my hand. I find that the recoil is dampened a bit, but more that the center of gravity for the gun is lowered with the additional weight below the web of your hand. There is less flip during the shot because of the added inertia of the steel grip counteracting the slide movement.

The profiles of the steel grips are a little different from the standard STI plastic, so if you can find someone with a steel grip and go for a test drive, do it

What would be the downside to have a metal grip on the DVC? lightening the slide then adding weight in the grip seems counter intuitive

Also don't forget to look at the CZ Tactical Sport it has the metal grip on it as well.

I prefer the metal grips now on my 2011 as well. It adds weight lower and closer to where you really want it.

By the time you get atlas to work over a gun and everything you want added you are almost in the custom territory. Just remember that the gun is the cheapest part of our sport. Ammo, match fees, travel all add up very quickly. I always say to beg, plead, and borrow as many guns as you can before you decide to buy something of your own. Figure out exactly what you like and want and order that. Every ones shooting style is different. I prefer the two extremes, a short dust cover super light or an all metal heavy monster.

I have an edge w a lightened slide, and the reduced grip from xtreme shooters.

I had heard a ton about metal grips. When I got to finally shoot a couple (PT and SV), I was less than impressed. I believe it changed the characteristics of the recoil to something else that had become undesirable to me; probably from so many rounds through my plastic grip. What worked/still does for me, and everyone is different, is the lightened slide, reduced plastic grip, and a brass ICE magwell. YMMV

Best advice I've read on here is to shoot a ton of different guns if at all possible. It can get very expensive very quickly just buying parts that are hyped and may not deliver what YOU want out of them.

I have recently switched all my Limited guns to Steel Grips and SV Tungsten guide rods... shooting 200gr bullets it weighs a LOT but I love how soft it feels when shooting

I do suggest shoot different set ups and see what you like and go from there...

Edited by ogiebb

Ive looked at everything and made my choice, I will be going with CK Arms Thunder Limited .40 with the ck metal grip. Really looking forward to putting in the time and training on a great firearm. If any of you guys have suggested loads for it please dont be shy.

Ive looked at everything and made my choice, I will be going with CK Arms Thunder Limited .40 with the ck metal grip. Really looking forward to putting in the time and training on a great firearm. If any of you guys have suggested loads for it please dont be shy.

Take a look here... You'll see a bunch of load discussion for the STI DVC over the past couple of months, this will be relevant to your CK. ;)

Be sure to give us a range report when you get it! :D Oh, who did you get it from?

Take a look here... You'll see a bunch of load discussion for the STI DVC over the past couple of months, this will be relevant to your CK. ;)

Be sure to give us a range report when you get it! :D Oh, who did you get it from?

I emailed Matt C. and Bobby K at freedom/CK and talked to them about a custom build. I wanted to go all black everything on the gun and had emailed them to go ahead and put me in the production line (estimated date 7/11) then I was looking around and Facebook Messaged JJ at Magnus Sports USA and they had the exact gun brand new in stock that I would be ordering from Matt and Bobby so I jumped on it and cancelled my original order.

Anyone here familiar with the break in on a 2011? I have had 1911's in the past and never really followed a procedure but this is my first 2011 and is going to get the bulk of my trigger time...I wanna do it right

Edited by travisb2352

When I got my HP Edge, Bob told me to just go out and shoot it for a while. The particulate build up will act as a lapping compound and help smooth everything out while you shoot. I didn't clean anything until I had about 500-600 rounds through it. Of course, make sure it has good lube, I use Mobil 1 motor oil.