Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM Major 124gr MG HS6 CK Arms Thunder Open

molson

Good afternoon all,

I thought I would share the chrono results for an CK Arms Thunder open using MG 124GR JHP and HS6 powder.

The specifics always seem to be missing so I will include everything that I can,

Gun is a CK Arms 9MM major Thunder Open. This has gun is their standard offering and has 3 popple holes.

9MM Major (mixed brass, no military or that stepped stuff that is out there)

124GR MG JHP

CCI small pistol #200 primers

HS6 8.0GR

1.160 Loaded Overall Length

Temp was 48 Degrees and all shots across a CED M2 Chrono with the front sensor @ 10'

This load produced a 169 average power factor, without any noticeable primer flattening.

I have included a spreadsheet with all the specifics. Take a look.

I will probably move this load up to 8.2 and re-run the chrono, but not a single velocity was below the 165 floor and I would be comfortable taking this load to a big match. But I feel I need to do more work as this is the first run at it in open and I would not be able to tell you if this is that flat or if going up to 8.2gr's will make it even flatter.

Molson

Edit: Spreadsheet did not upload. PM if you want it.

Edited by molson

Jack,

I fired 3 strings of 10 and none was below 165pf. Too bad I cannot up load the spreadsheet so you can get a good feel for the actual data. I am not what you would call a "Great" group shooter, but of the 30 I shot, it ripped one big hole in the target. Needless to say, accuracy at 11 feet is not an indicator of accuracy. I did shoot another 40 shots free style at a target out at 15 yards and all of them were within the A zone. I will need to do some accuracy testing the next time I get out.

S&W,

Any luck, and I might be able to get out this next weekend and get the new data on the 8.2gr of HS6. If I do, I will get it up here.

Molson

Interesting...

How did the gun track? Dot stay in the glass? Which optic are you using?

Seemed pretty good, but I want to see if 8.2 is even better. Seemed to just hit the top or just a fuzz outside the top. I am using the horizontal mounted slideride cmore.

As others have noted, it is dirty stuff. But I clean the gun after every time I shoot it, so I can live with it.

Molson

Good afternoon all,

I thought I would share the chrono results for an CK Arms Thunder open using MG 124GR JHP and HS6 powder.

The specifics always seem to be missing so I will include everything that I can,

Gun is a CK Arms 9MM major Thunder Open. This has gun is their standard offering and has 3 popple holes.

9MM Major (mixed brass, no military or that stepped stuff that is out there)

124GR MG JHP

CCI small pistol #200 primers

HS6 8.0GR

1.160 Loaded Overall Length

Temp was 48 Degrees and all shots across a CED M2 Chrono with the front sensor @ 10'

This load produced a 169 average power factor, without any noticeable primer flattening.

I have included a spreadsheet with all the specifics. Take a look.

I will probably move this load up to 8.2 and re-run the chrono, but not a single velocity was below the 165 floor and I would be comfortable taking this load to a big match. But I feel I need to do more work as this is the first run at it in open and I would not be able to tell you if this is that flat or if going up to 8.2gr's will make it even flatter.

Molson

Edit: Spreadsheet did not upload. PM if you want it.

Why not upload it to google drive?

Then you can post a link :)