Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

chuck petree journeyback to shooting

chuckpetree

Starting this a little late. So a quick catchup. Right now I am working through wrist surgery. I had a cyst removed from my right wrist. The cartilage in my wrist repaired and the guyan tunnel in my wrist made larger for the nerves running through it. This has somewhat slowed down progress. It has given me time off of work to reload and shoot one handed. This is actually helping as I have only shot a handful of times in the last 20 years. 20 years ago, I shot ipsc ppc and steel matches all the time. I was sponsored by Arms mart and prophet cleaning products at the time. I have my 686 revolver ready to go and have just purchased my Cogan built Caspian as well. Each range session is getting better. Last session at 20 yards one handed only dropped on barely outside of the 10 ring standing. Plates are a no miss deal now as well. I am hoping for more range time soon. I will get my cast off my wrist in 5 days now. I would love to shoot the cup this year but will probably have to settle for the Flagler cup. God and time permitting.

Chuck,

You might want to shoot the Berrien Springs Michigan match instead of Flagler. They shoot the same weekend, just before the Cup, but the Michigan matches are 2 days back-to-back State & Regional all in one weekend. More bang for the buck! Flagler is a one-day event. Many International Cup shooters do the Michigan shoot as well.

Just my opinion.

Alan~^~

A little background will bring this more into focus. Loaded a couple hundred rounds of .38 super today. Little harder than you think with one hand. Will be headed to the range first thing in the morning; then again Sunday with some friends. Now back to the Michigan Match thoughts, which I appreciate. The reason for the Flagler cup is I was raised in Missouri. I lived there until moving to Illinois to be with my future wife. Also the Flagler cup is hosted by my old club Pioneer gun club in Missouri. I used to shoot their matches all the time and run their matches as well. Will be nice to go home as they say.

Yep, that's great club out there, I agree! Tell Chuck, Ron & Mike that I said "hello". I only went by your current location for the travel expense, but if you're "going home again" have fun with it, as I'm sure you will!

Alan~^~

Edited by Alan550

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have gotten my cast removed. The wrist is doing pretty good. I have spent alot of time lately finding the gun I truly want to shoot and getting parts and gear for it. I just purchased a stock II .40 for competition. I plan on shooting it in limited class this year and then deciding if I want to move back into open in ipsc next year. I will probably shoot my 686 in ppc and bianchi type events in open division.

Seems like everywhere you go someone knows everything. They never seem to do anything with that vast knowledge they have; but run their mouths that they know it all. I have no time for people like that nor do I want to even mess with them. So, I will keep my thoughts to myself on here and pm people if I need to speak to someone.

Edited by chuckpetree

Right wrist is about 4 weeks from full recovery. I should be able to start my road back in matches after that. Cannot wait to shoot a match again after 15 years. I will never be as fast as I was again. I hope to be able to at least be mid-pack in speed plate and ipsc matches again.

Just received my new stock II the other day. I have signed up for my first uspsa match this next weekend. We shall see how this goes. Need to find some time this week to shoot the new gun first. Luckily it is supposed to be a very nice week here. See how I do shooting unclassified in the match standings.

Edited by chuckpetree

Just went out tonight and practiced plates and reloads at 20yds. Went pretty smoothly. The feel and swing between targets is coming back pretty quickly. Mayli contacted me last night. I called Henning today and he has agreed to work over my new stock II for me.

I've never committed to a range diary on here, though I should have a long time ago. It might have motivated me through the hard times. I like to see come backs and I hope you have a good one. Don't be discouraged by people's comments. Tone is really hard to hear on here and most of our members are really great people with nothing but good intentions.

First match tomorrow. Really wondering if I have no magazine ext. basepads; if I should shoot limited 10 or limited with stock II .40... Decisions, decisions...

With no basepads, if you have enough magazines then yes L10 would be a better fit until you have the big mags. Just start cocked and locked. Though, being that it is your first match in 15 years, the capacity deficit might not matter that much.

So went to the match today. Did several walk throughs before to plan stages. Then signed in, got my squading and waited nervously. There were some differences in squading that happened at the stage changing the lineup. Went through a few shooters and went down and helped tape and setup poppers. Here the guy say chuck is on deck. Ok, great here we go get to shake out these butterflys. So I make ready, there are 6 stages today lets get through this one everything ok. I hear the beep, draw and maneuver around the right side cover being very careful not to break 180. shoot 6 shots and a quick hallway shoot, then the other hallway shoot. Then it happened, reloading the mag with the gun pointed down range I drop the mag and inserting the new one ad...I was so damn worried about the next cover to get around and not break 180 and these were tight very tight to 180. That I either did not get my trigger out of the guard or got it in too fast. either way should not have happened; I hear stop and show clear. After years of competing before, I would have never thought I would have done this. I have always been a stickler for safety this really does bother me. Yes the gun was pointed down range and below the berm but still an ad. Had a pretty good run going too. I will say the trigger felt really light in a match situation after not shooting one for akmost 20 years. This really does bother me though.