Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cost of getting into PCC

my PCC was under $800 excluding the scope... currently a Vortex Spitfire 1x... New Frontier Armory Glock billet lower and bolt.... Aero Precision upper, 16" barrel, LMT fore end and charging handle from MAS Defense...GunTech comp, but would now go with Palmetto State Armory Miculek style...ambi safety and Hogue grip

Edited by Les Snyder
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/23/2016 at 1:53 PM, Chuck Anderson said:

Marlin Camp Carbine and Ruger PC9. Neither one are sexy but both have had good success locally in our local carbine matches. I can't seem to find any for less than $600 each now which is more than I figured.

They don't make the Camp Carbine anymore. I used to have one in 45. Was fun but having 1911 mags limited capacity. The 9mm version uses smith and wesson mags not super common and expensive. 

Pat

If they made an ambidextrous 9mm AR that took Glock mags, I'd be all over it. As a lefty, I want to be able to do reloads somewhat quickly, and the typical Glock lowers just won't do it for me. It's a shame, too, because I really want to have another gun that can use all of my Glock magazines. 

Right now the Sig MPX is looking best, but I might also see if I can rig up an ambi lower that takes Colt magazines. 

On 9/28/2016 at 4:28 PM, Xanatos903 said:

If they made an ambidextrous 9mm AR that took Glock mags, I'd be all over it. As a lefty, I want to be able to do reloads somewhat quickly, and the typical Glock lowers just won't do it for me. It's a shame, too, because I really want to have another gun that can use all of my Glock magazines. 

Right now the Sig MPX is looking best, but I might also see if I can rig up an ambi lower that takes Colt magazines. 

You can get a dedicated Colt style lower, they take regular AR parts and add your favorite ambi parts, or try a mag block.  I'm 275 problem free rounds into my Rock River conversion.  First match this weekend.

i actually like the idea of the Colt pattern lower since I don't have a Glock any more and the 32 rd Metalform mags from PSA are only $20.

1 hour ago, Dannybot said:

You can get a dedicated Colt style lower, they take regular AR parts and add your favorite ambi parts, or try a mag block.  I'm 275 problem free rounds into my Rock River conversion.  First match this weekend.

i actually like the idea of the Colt pattern lower since I don't have a Glock any more and the 32 rd Metalform mags from PSA are only $20.

So I'd be able to put a Norgon or Troy ambi magazine release in one and have it function fine? 

Might be time to put my spare lower to use...

On 9/26/2016 at 1:02 AM, JAF1680 said:

Shooting PCC will actually save you money.  For anyone who is still reading this is how I justified it.  My wife and I both shoot 3gun and we go through a considerable amount of ammo.  Most of the ranges that we shoot on are less then 100 yards and in 3 gun nation PCC has its own division.  I reload a lot of 9mm and it costs around $0.10 per round.  If I shoot PCC I can engage most shotgun steel with 9mm at less then half the price of 12 gauge shells $0.23 shot shell (Walmart Value Pack).  Any rifle targets are now engaged with 9mm instead of .223 at $0.33 per 223 rifle round a savings of over 66%.  At this rate a JP-13 will pay for it self in 6,750 rounds. 

Brilliant justification!!!

I tried my Troy ambi mag catch in my RRA lower with  PSA mag block installed. Would not hold any mags in the block. I had to get a 9mm mag catch. I'd love to use an ambi. I understand it is hit or miss if a regular mag catch will work. 

On 9/28/2016 at 1:09 PM, Alaskapopo said:

They don't make the Camp Carbine anymore. I used to have one in 45. Was fun but having 1911 mags limited capacity. The 9mm version uses smith and wesson mags not super common and expensive. 

Pat

Nope, but they still exist.  And Smith mags are not that expensive.  $34.95 for 30 rounders.  Lots of options.  Not saying I'd go that way, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a 2011.  

On 9/30/2016 at 10:05 PM, OPENB said:

I tried my Troy ambi mag catch in my RRA lower with  PSA mag block installed. Would not hold any mags in the block. I had to get a 9mm mag catch. I'd love to use an ambi. I understand it is hit or miss if a regular mag catch will work. 

I had the same experience with the Troy ambi on a Rock River mag block conversion.  Too bad....

• 1 year later...
Looking for opinion and advice...
I was considering buying a CZ Scorpion PCC or a Mossberg 500 20gauge but I am leaning to the new Ruger PC Carbine. My main purpose is home defense. What are the thoughts of the experts re: PCC vs shotgun and the new Ruger PCC vs the Scorpion? What accessories do you recommend (light/laser or  red dot sight, any modifications)?

Finally, what training would you recommend for me?
Edited by tomhateslibs
addition
1 hour ago, tomhateslibs said:
Looking for opinion and advice...
I was considering buying a CZ Scorpion PCC or a Mossberg 500 20gauge but I am leaning to the new Ruger PC Carbine. My main purpose is home defense. What are the thoughts of the experts re: PCC vs shotgun and the new Ruger PCC vs the Scorpion? What accessories do you recommend (light/laser or  red dot sight, any modifications)?

Finally, what training would you recommend for me?

Just an FYI, while I don't imagine there would be any issues with discussing the technical merits of the Scorpion vs the Ruger PCC, this entire forum (not just this thread) is geared towards competitive shooting disciplines, rather than defensive use. 

Here is a moderator quote from another thread last year that was locked:

This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.) While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged. And please, no hunting or "killing animals" (of any kind) threads.

4 hours ago, Steve RA said:

I don't think the discussion of the merits of defensive weapons is in the same boat with discussing the results of defensive weapon use. 

Agree with this. But both topics still would fall in the discouraged column.  

I built my AR9 on an Anderson lower with a KAK industries Mag block for Colt mags, Nothing fancy, Spinta Bolt, Mil spec trigger with JP springs,  for a hair under $700. I like to tinker, so it was fun for me to build my own. It has mostly run pretty well, some occasional FTF and the odd FTE  which I narrowed down to ASC mags and the Spinta Bolt when new, once I got about 500 rounds thru it the FTFs disappeared. Still get the odd FTE, I blame the bolt.  I put a Taccom magwell, Taccom ULW Buffer,  and Hogue furniture over the last year, Plus a Metal form Mag with the TTI +10 extension. I didn't shoot last season (job issues) but I'm planning to shoot as much as I can this year. Planning to upgrade the BCG and buffer system to the Taccom Extreme BCG, and the 3 stage buffer. Knowing what I know now I would have went that direction from the start, and possibly would have gone with a dedicated 9mm lower for colt mags QC10 or similar. 

20180110_124831.jpg

Long time site lurker. First post. Not a lot of mention of the Sig Sauer MPX. Great rifle. Expensive mags but just as good as any custom build.

But you forgot one option. Piston driven or direct impingement?

The MPX is short stroke piston and I love it.

Upgrades.

Extractor spring

Hiperfire 243G trigger - which may get changed out

d0f986ba26962b5a8c8140c925629c97.jpg

694db9fd9e2c8c358208d7afe514babe.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Once you get past 20 rounds, the difficulty level goes way up.  I can't find my uplula so I can't comment, but they do make a loader specific to the 9mm Colt mags, which I will be picking up.
+1 get the loader for colt mags you will be glad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

On 1/18/2018 at 12:59 PM, Derwoodski said:

... Still get the odd FTE, I blame the bolt....

I would check the ejector and see if it is as close to the bolt as possible.  This has been a problem for some.  A little bending with some light hammer taps or pliers should take care of it.  A search should bring up pictures.  Out of 6 PCCs I have built or bought, one had to be adjusted.