Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP GMR-13 vs Sig MPX for PCC

Nemesis Lead

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those were my exact choices when I was looking. Decided to go with the MPX. Figured it's at least a little different and not just "another AR in my safe" plus being gas and not a blowback design, it should be a softer shot. Also since I got the carbine, I can shoulder fire it while I wait for a stamp and later can run either the 16" barrel or swap to something shorter should I desire

I added a CMC Flatty and some +10 extensions and couldn't be happier

Edited by IntenseImage

I agree with sharing platforms. I am working hard to win and practicing accordingly.....throw in another platform? I don't need to practice something different right now with what little time I have.

I do find it funny that people are talking about recoil concerns.......9mm..........

It may only be 9mm, but it does recoil more than a .223.

We can all agree that isn't very much at all. But the 9mm does cause the dot to dance more and that is much more noticeable.

I agree with sharing platforms. I am working hard to win and practicing accordingly.....throw in another platform? I don't need to practice something different right now with what little time I have.

I do find it funny that people are talking about recoil concerns.......9mm..........

I did some testing with the MPX a couple months ago. All my AR memory worked with the MPX. Reloads, safety, charging all was very familiar and instinctive. It's one of the reasons my agency is looking at the MPX. All the skills will translate to the ARs we also have.

I've not shot the JP - or any 9mm AR for that matter but I recently purchased a MPX Carbine and shot the Zion Classic with it this weekend. My experience is that the MPX is very low recoil, accurate and fast. The experience is very similar to shooting a well tuned open gun. The MPX is a very dirty gun, which isn't really a big deal.

Overall it was a good experience. I'll start a new post to share my PCC experience.

I have a Sig MPX sbr'd. The weight and gas operation make this thing really easy to shoot. the CZ evo will be easier to transition with as its much lighter. the JP-GMR is a fun gun but the one I played with was a older one (GMR-12) And would not lock back on last shot, but what I heard the newer GMR-13 should lock on last shot.. Not like that's going to be a big deal anyways.

My issue is I like how the MPX looks with the Collapsible Sig Stock, but LOP is a little short and honestly my face fits better behind a AR style stock with a little longer LOP. Choices, choices.

My issue is I like how the MPX looks with the Collapsible Sig Stock, but LOP is a little short and honestly my face fits better behind a AR style stock with a little longer LOP. Choices, choices.

There is an adapter available for the back of the MPX that takes an AR buffer tube. Should be able to put whatever stock on you want for matches. Then leave the cool looking one on for screwing around.

Chuck, in your testing how did the Sig compare to the JP?

I haven't shot them both enough to really make a comparison. I have a decent amount of time in with 9mm AR's but have never been impressed with them. Being blowback only the recoil impulse was more than the .223. The previous versions that used Colt/modified Uzi mags also never impressed me. That said, the one time I have shot the JP version I was impressed. It was a couple years ago so I'm guessing it was the 12 version. The recoil impulse was significantly different than previous 9mm AR's I've shot. I liked it a lot. Given a choice I'd probably still go with the MPX, but only because of the new/shiny/cool factor. Operationally I think they are both pretty similar.

I have two of the JP's. One is still in jail until our Uncle coughs up the stamp, but I have had the other for a while. I do not have one of the Sig's and have not had a chance to shoot one, thats why I was interested. With the JP you can order it decked out just the way you like it, pick your hand guard, your stock, and all the other little details, but it is still a blow back gun. I am not sure if the gas system is worth the hassle or not for a PCC. It may be the ticket, but even if it is,the functional difference would probably not be enough to offset the fact that JP will make it "My way" and seems to actually care about me as a customer far more than SIG.

Thank you Intense. A few questions: Does the bolt lock back after the last round on the sig? Any malfunctions? Did you keep the OEM trigger and is it any good?

While some of this was answered ...

So, I have a few hundred rounds through the gun so far and have only had problems with my 147 reloads. They simply aren't hot enough/produce enough gas to RELIABLY run the gun. It's about 80% with them. Running other 147s that have more or different powders it ran 100% - same with all the 124s and 115s I have tried.

With that said, the only time it hasn't locked back was with my reloads.

The OEM trigger is heavy and gritty ... Tossed it and put in a CMC Flatty - best upgrade ever

To be honest, Sig is really starting to tick me off. We've been trying to get a quote, or even a call back, from Sig for months. It's like they don't want to sell us $80,000.00 in guns. I'm really, really underwhelmed with their customer service. I figure we'll probably end up passing on them at this point just because of the lack of response. I really don't want to get into a weapons system we can't even get a call back from the manufacturer on.

I have several 9mm ARs and have found that a little hotter load makes the recoil feel less clunky. The smoothest PCC I've ever shot is the MP5. I know the reloads may not be as quick as an MPX but they shoot very smoothly. I plan on running my MP5K Reverse Strech with a match trigger.