Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig P320 9mm Load Recipes and Accuracy Thread

Magsz

Has anyone had any issues with flat points out of the 9fs? I am currently using 124gr berry fp. Have had some issues with FTE. Just changed out to the 1911 guide rod with a 12lb spring and going to give that a try with my same load. Not sure what is cauaing the issue. The gun is brand new. Had 300 rounds through it. Might be the addition of the deltapoint on top was a little much for 130pf ammo hence the reason for the guide rod spring change.

How long are you loading them? I shoot 124 Berry's FPs but I load them pretty short to avoid them hanging up on shorter chambered guns. Mine run fine in a 320 FS I own. I'd suspect extractor/extractor spring assuming your rounds pass the drop test in your barrel.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently loading at 1.055 OAL with 3.8gr ETR7

Has anyone had any issues with flat points out of the 9fs? I am currently using 124gr berry fp. Have had some issues with FTE. Just changed out to the 1911 guide rod with a 12lb spring and going to give that a try with my same load. Not sure what is cauaing the issue. The gun is brand new. Had 300 rounds through it. Might be the addition of the deltapoint on top was a little much for 130pf ammo hence the reason for the guide rod spring change.

How long are you loading them? I shoot 124 Berry's FPs but I load them pretty short to avoid them hanging up on shorter chambered guns. Mine run fine in a 320 FS I own. I'd suspect extractor/extractor spring assuming your rounds pass the drop test in your barrel.

• 5 months later...
On 1/1/2017 at 1:08 AM, Nick179 said:

124gr RN xtreme or berry's over 4.2gr of TG with a 1.135 OAL. Feed reliably and recoil isn't a factor on splits. Gonna work on some different OAL and see what happens. 

What power factor do you get out of that?  I'm still shooting 115gr and am looking to move to 124gr.  Your formula is almost exactly what I was going to go with.

• 3 weeks later...

Just my thoughts here, the 9mm was designed around the 124gr bullet and that bullet is the standard military round, and the 320 was designed for and has become the standard U.S. military sidearm. I find the 124/125 gr bullets let you shoot accuratly at differant distances with the same powder charge. I find the 147's seem to need different loads for different distances.

On 5/29/2016 at 9:55 PM, TacticalReload said:

I keep wanting to try N320, but I can't ever find any that isn't way overpriced. There was a guy at a local gun show this weekend selling 1# containers for $53. At that price, I'll just keep living on the edge and using Clays instead. ;-)

You guys should seriously look into that new French powder, Nobel Sport Prima V. It leaves the gun as clean as N320 (no really!) and it both recoils and meters nearly the same.

Best of all? It was $178 for eleven pounds of it when Powder Valley was doing a "free hazmat on 10 bottles" deal. I know Grafs and PV carry it currently.

There's a thread in the 9MM Reloading forum on this powder. Unlike my experience with Ramshot Competition, this stuff lived up to the hype.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 5/7/2016 at 8:33 PM, alma said:

I am doing 4.1 or 4.2gr of N320 with a 124gr JHP at 1.100 OAL

Alma-

Curious how you arrived at the OAL. I'm shooting TG with an OAL of around 1.150 IIRC. 125 SNS with 3.875 (avg.) of TG. Very accurate, enough so that I never played with OAL.

I'd love to shoot N320, but wasn't able to get it for a long time, and found a bunch of TG, so that's what I have, and it's much cheaper. My 320's keep running, so I don't clean them, even with TG.

:)

Not trying to answer for Alma, but I used to load for my 226 and X5 at 1.13.  Then I won a PPQ and found that my normal load wouldn't chamber in it.  Had to shorten it to 1.08.  But it turned out 1.08 works fine in my X5, too, so I load everything to that length now.

Bruce Gray told me to load those particular JHPs to 1.10 so that's what I did. 

At one point I want running some 147gr BBI that were running okay but I shortened them to the bit when I was diagnosing with feeding issue. That turned out to be not changing my 13lb recoil spring often enough. 

21 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You guys should seriously look into that new French powder, Nobel Sport Prima V. It leaves the gun as clean as N320 (no really!) and it both recoils and meters nearly the same.

Best of all? It was $178 for eleven pounds of it when Powder Valley was doing a "free hazmat on 10 bottles" deal. I know Grafs and PV carry it currently.

There's a thread in the 9MM Reloading forum on this powder. Unlike my experience with Ramshot Competition, this stuff lived up to the hype.

I've been experimenting with Prima V and I am very impressed so far. I've been loading a Blue Bullets 135gr over 3.5 of Prima V. It burns cool and clean. Out of my 320Rx it shoots 2.5" at 25 yards if I'm doing my part. Right now I'm messing around with OAL to see if I can eek out some more accuracy, but I think this is the load I'll run this year based on results so far.

5 hours ago, BillGarlandJr said:

I've been experimenting with Prima V and I am very impressed so far. I've been loading a Blue Bullets 135gr over 3.5 of Prima V. It burns cool and clean. Out of my 320Rx it shoots 2.5" at 25 yards if I'm doing my part. Right now I'm messing around with OAL to see if I can eek out some more accuracy, but I think this is the load I'll run this year based on results so far.

I've switched to Prima V as well. Very clean and runs cool like you said. I haven't done any accuracy test as of yet. But it his the "A" zone. ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2017 at 3:46 PM, lawmangr said:

What power factor do you get out of that?  I'm still shooting 115gr and am looking to move to 124gr.  Your formula is almost exactly what I was going to go with.

Sorry for the delay. I haven't chronographed them yet but striving for 125PF. They should be around 134PF if my math is right.  Figuring with temperature and SD they should be good for all match locations and chronos.

Loaded up some Berry's 124gr Target Hollow Point with 3.8gr on TiteGroup with OAL of 1.130" for one batch and 1.150". The 1.130-1.135" had an average PF of 129

The 1.150" had an average PF of 128. The shorter actually felt better both cycled just fine. 

IMG_3432.PNG

IMG_3429.PNG

@Nick179  just an FYI. Titegroup is temperature sensitive!  I shot some over my chrono at 50* as a function check of the chrono, they ran 1005 on average for 10 shots.  This same load 1.10", 3.6gr Titegroup, 125 black bullets ran 1070 average at 80*.   When it gets warmer, you're gonna gain ~5pf.

1 hour ago, SCTaylor said:

@Nick179  just an FYI. Titegroup is temperature sensitive!  I shot some over my chrono at 50* as a function check of the chrono, they ran 1005 on average for 10 shots.  This same load 1.10", 3.6gr Titegroup, 125 black bullets ran 1070 average at 80*.   When it gets warmer, you're gonna gain ~5pf.

For sure shot similar load last summer and they were definitely faster.  I did 2 groups of 10 with some of these that I let sit on the dashboard with the defroster on to get them "warm". Had an average of 30 fps faster. 

1 hour ago, bigtimelarry said:

Alma, What Chrono FPS are you getting out of your P320 with 4.1, 4.2  VV N320. are you using Montana Gold 124 JHP

I shot the exact same load last year and I was getting 131pf consistently regardless of conditions.

I should add that was with a 124gr v-crown. I've loaded the same with MG and got them same results.

Edited by BillGarlandJr
Additional info

3 hours ago, BillGarlandJr said:

I shot the exact same load last year and I was getting 131pf consistently regardless of conditions.

I should add that was with a 124gr v-crown. I've loaded the same with MG and got them same results.

Was it soft shooting ?

2 hours ago, BillGarlandJr said:

I wouldn't say it was soft. It cycled the gun briskly, and it shot flat. The thing I liked about it was the sights tracked so quickly and consistently. It's also a crazy accurate load. 

I'm going to get N320 and load some.  Since the company was bought out I heard the N320 wasn't exactly the same powder.

Any truth to that,   Also what OAL did you use ? Thanks.