Grip Tape

brownnutz

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I used the black magic skate tape because of this thread.

LOVE it. Maybe it's mental but actually think it substantially helps while shooting one handed. 

Now I'll be putting it on every one of my undisclosed number of pistols! 

On 7/27/2017 at 3:37 PM, Mban2 said:

I had the 3m grip tape on my gun, and at the range in pouring rain it fell off without even touching it.   Back to the drawing board

What? Hmm - I just put some on mine. Did you degrease your grip prior to putting it on? What gun do you have?

On 7/29/2017 at 10:17 PM, Joeg26er said:

What? Hmm - I just put some on mine. Did you degrease your grip prior to putting it on? What gun do you have?

Yeah, I cleaned with soap, then alcohol pads.  I shoot a glock gen 4 34.  I want to try something that is thinner so it will conform more easily to the factory texture

Make sure you "heat" the tape, even if with just a hair drier. I have not had good luck with 3m step tape either. If you are not going to stipple or cut your own from skate tape, like Jessup or others, the Talon grit version wraps are my competition choice for ease of application, and stickiness to frame...  IF applied right, degrease, and heat.  The Dawsons are ok too but very aggressive grit. 

FWIW - most soap is basically a lube. I wouldn't use soap to prep the grip, only alcohol or something else that "cuts" and evaporates. If going "permanent" you can also lightly sand the areas under where the grip tape will be... and then prep. Lastly, a permanent solution would be to epoxy the grip and apply grit.

I use a Talon rubber version on my carry G19. Good stuff for not wearing out your clothes.

On 3/21/2016 at 2:30 PM, TennJeep1618 said:

I like Black Magic skateboard tape as far as quality for the price, but those pre-cut options are much easier.

skate board is good enough for me too. using dryer when apply

• 4 months later...

I bought a 4" wide roll of rubber texture grip tape off amazon. Been cutting my own for several guns here and there out of it. I think it was 4"x 10 feet long or something for $20. Clean with lighter fluid, then alcohol, apply, heat with heat gun (gently). I always thought the skateboard tape was a bit too krinkly - like bending a piece of cardboard. 

1 hour ago, Joeg26er said:

Update my 3m grip tape is staying adhered but the grit has worn off totally on my edc inner side

im looking for a more durable grip tape 

suggestions??

what about stippling the grips?

I just buy a roll of skateboard grip tape, then cut it to fit the portions of the grip I want to cover and stick it on.  My limited G35 has had the same tape for around 3,000 rounds now and it is still good.  When it does lose grip, I'll just cut off another piece of skate tape and do it again.  I think the entire roll of skateboard tape was like $5.

On 1/4/2018 at 8:41 PM, Joeg26er said:

Any particular brand of skateboard tape?

Same answer s Angel except I just stopped by a skate shop and grabbed some.  I also agree that I’ll never have to buy any again (unless I lose it, which is pretty damn likely). 

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2016 at 6:42 AM, BeerBaron said:

3m safety walk has the best texture and most importantly best adhesive of the ones I've tried. It's desiged for outdoor use so holds up to moisture etc. they make a few colours and more importantly different textures too.

+1 ..... $1 per foot at ACE Hardware.

I walked into a local skateboard shop and picked out a sheet of woodland camo deck tape in 2009.  The tape is working as good as new after 9 years.  I used that pistol for Limited USPSA and Tacops 3-gun.  i cut it to shape and stuck it on.  It's been sprayed with brake cleaner every once in a while.  It's just a little dirtier now.