Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Tape

brownnutz

On 4/5/2018 at 8:59 PM, Joeg26er said:

3m safety walk does not last 

the grit comes off in a few months 

Correct! The shedding grit will embed itself in your plastic holster and gouge the slide badly if you’re not careful, too.

I use Talons right now.

In the past I’ve had really good luck with high end skateboard tape brands like Mob or Jessup purchased off Amazon for under $10, and a heat gun to warm it up so it stretches and the glue gets extra agressive.

Apply masking tape to your gun, trim with X-acto knife, peel off, and stick to the back of the grip tape.

Do the front strap and backstrap, then stick the side “grip panels” on so that they cover the ends of the previous pieces.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2018 at 6:11 PM, SkippySanchez said:

Bicycle innertube. Tried grip tape, anti-skid tape, skateboard tape - most lasted a month or two (I do a lot of dry fire). This does the trick for me.8c4f8952e9e108cabc5c90c801f19c47.jpg

Ive done this before as well. Definitely grips, but I found it more likely to catch on clothes. 

I never saw a grit tape I liked.

I had some 3M bumpy rubber tape from a local lumber yard that suited me, but the place is out of business and the big box stores don't carry it.  I could Amazon it, if I wanted to outfit the entire State Championship.  I'll check ACE.   

I have a gun bought second hand with Talon rubber and like it, but it is so expensive versus industrial products that I will look around. 

I put Dawson's pre-cut option on my dad's G17.  Went on easily, fit well.  I only shot one match with it myself, but worked just fine, I thought.

ETA: his was a G3, with the finger grooves, and the tape was nicely designed, with holes to accommodate the ridges.

Edited by peacemaker25

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Amazon used to offer a "4 x 12' roll of skateboard/safety tape for under $12 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IC15FE4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)  I see its not available any longer, but it was nice to have the extra room to cut different shapes or to trace an old Talon grip.

Can anyone recommend a Silcone Carbide application or process?  I've been talking to my local glock-smith about having the epoxy and grit added for a more permeant solution

I tried safety walk and stopped using it. 

I ordered some MOB grip tape and Dark Angel grip tape. Both of those are much grippier / coarser/ sharper than the safety walk

I've used the Dark Angel since January and it's stuck and no granules have come off since I installed on my edc. 

Compared to SWalk - that only lasted a few months before granules would be coming off.

• 4 weeks later...

I live in the hot and humid south and Talon grips started sliding around with an aggressive grip. I started cutting strips of skateboard tape and strategically placing them on the grip of my glock. The granules did not shed badly and it was plenty aggressive for me. 

I gave up and splurged on Talon rubber.  It is grippy but not rough.  It adds perceptibly to the girth of the gun.  If this wears out any time soon, I will just get a stippled backstrap (S&W Plastic M&P) and a strip of tape down the frontstrap. 

• 2 months later...

The only issue with grip tape is in extreme temps it can come off leaving a sticky mess.

If you like the grip tape feel use epoxy with silica carbine(AKA black sand) .   I just had to remove grip tape from a STI because of the glue everywhere spreading out in the heat and decided to  do the silica carbide treatment. Never happier

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Talon grip tape is really great stuff. Very thin (not noticeable increase in grip size), cut clean to each weapon. Durable. I've had the rubber grip tape on a ccw for years, and it still looks great. The sandpaper stuff is VERY rough, but great for comp. Just be sure and wipe down with the alcohol swap as directed, and use a blowdryer to really set the tape.

• 2 weeks later...