Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Southern Precision Rifles 6.5 Creedmoor!

ccoker

Just got it!

• Defiance Deviant action
  • Mueller Rifle Works cut rifle barrel, Sendero profile, 22″
  • Badger bottom metal
  • Cerakoted black graphite
  • Huber 2 stage trigger
  • McMillan A5A stock in Mcmillan camo
  • Steiner Military 5-25×56
  • Talley tactical rings
  • Crux brake and Nemesis30 silencer

20160318_170157-e1458431478723.jpg

20160318_170318-e1458431344204.jpg

20160318_170329-e1458431297763.jpg

20160318_170243-e1458431403207.jpg

20160318_170418-e1458431157212.jpg

20160318_170458-e1458431029293.jpg

I also think that, by a small degree, the 6.5 Creedmoor loses less case volume to 140 grain class bullets than the 260 Remington.

How is that? The creed is a smaller case, or an I thinking wrong?

It is certainly a tad shorter, but I don't think the case volume is that much less without bullet. Then once you factor in intrusion from the larger bullet into the 260 volume *and* the difference in operating pressures, I think the 6.5 comes out at least even. Plus, it can fit easier in a magazine. Ballistically, very similar performance but can handle longer/heavier bullets a little better. Since I lean more toward semi-auots, I lean more toward 6.5 Creedmoor. But I don't talk crap about anybody picking a 260 Remington. The differences are subtle, to my eye.

Huumm... For sure food for thought... the ar platform has different considerations.

I've been comparing a 260 to a 6.5 creed, and getting higher velocity with the 260 across the board, upwards of 200fps, same bullet and powder...but these are both bolt guns. The 260 is a 700 and the 6.5 is a RPR, so may be trying to compare apples and oranges... :)

jj

You've got more room in the bolt gun. I believe it, absolutely.

Of course, if I do any 6.5mm bolt gun, I might just do a 6.5 SAUM GAP 4S and be done with it. I'd like a very similarly configured 308 as a trainer and for special matches that restrict to common military calibers.

The differences are so small that you can call them pretty much equal. With both of these it will come down to shooter skill, and not an advantage that you will gain from either caliber. Michael, you've been talking about building a rifle for two years. Come on man, it's time to get with it. Take a lesson and scroll to the top of the page, and copy, paste and print, and take it to your smith. If that doesn't work, buy a Ruger RPR in 6.5 and be done with it.

I agree, enough internet masturbation. Call Dustin at GA precision and order up gun. You will have 6-9 months to save up the coin to pay for it. Then another 6 months and you will have enough for glass.

OK guys, not to highjack the thread, but finances are much worse than might be expected. I can't do/initiate anything for the next few months. The 6.5 Grendel barrel was an unexpected gift, but I still have to wait on a bolt, gas block, etc. because of money. I do appreciate the support and enthusiasm, but my hands are tied. Things might break my way in the next couple of months, so keep those fingers crossed, etc.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled thread.

The comment about different ammo available more widely in 6.5 Creedmoor is another positive point to bring out. Prime ammo and Gorilla ammo may alleviate that imbalance to some extent with their 260 Rem offerings, but they are pricey.

Nice rifle. Waiting on one being built right now. Been using one of my 3 gun rifles as a long range gun. On the plus side I have glass waiting on a new ride. I went with 6.5 cm because of factory ammo.

Had a great day at the range with my new 6.5 Creedmoor.

The Hornady 140 ElDX, Winchester 140 match and Hornady 140 Amax all shot one ragged hole groups (and I am out of practice for shooting tiny groups) and all impacted within an overall 1/2 group.

First round hits out to 1k

I am digging this rifle.

Had a great day at the range with my new 6.5 Creedmoor.

The Hornady 140 ElDX, Winchester 140 match and Hornady 140 Amax all shot one ragged hole groups (and I am out of practice for shooting tiny groups) and all impacted within an overall 1/2 group.

First round hits out to 1k

I am digging this rifle.

Sounds like a sweet shooter. Congratulations!

That is awesome! Texas is a great place for long range stuff. Lots of good matches down there, although just cause you live in Texas, and there is a match in Texas, doesn't mean it's anywhere near close! You need to bring that rifle up to NC and let Michael shoot it.

Huumm... For sure food for thought... the ar platform has different considerations.

I've been comparing a 260 to a 6.5 creed, and getting higher velocity with the 260 across the board, upwards of 200fps, same bullet and powder...but these are both bolt guns. The 260 is a 700 and the 6.5 is a RPR, so may be trying to compare apples and oranges... :)

jj

That has to be due to the rifles as the .260 will not give you 200fps more than the 6.5 Creedmoor. Their velocities are very similar. I am running 140 ELDs at 2850fps in my Creedmoor and I would bet that you couldn't get them going 3050fps out of a .260 ;)

• 2 months later...