Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloads

sendthedog

More burkett reloads, fewer complete reloads.

Drop mag much earlier, while mag well is vertical.

Why are you closing your eyes at the end?

Practice reload while moving in any/all directions over very short to longer distances - field skills.

I second the above advice - Burkett reloads to get the hand speed from gun -> magazine draw -> magwell moving more quickly. Faster hands leave more time for a consistent, smooth insertion inside your 1.0 second window.

Get the button depressed before your front sight has finished lifting in recoil from your final shot, and pull the gun straight back and keep the grip vertical the entire trip back to meet the offhand, rotating it just in time to visually acquire it as the mag arrives.

Definitely lose the outward wrist flick. Hit the button before a vertical grip's trip back to your chest and it'll fall free in plenty of time. You want efficiency of motion and to maximize body mechanics.

Find Max Michels video on YouTube from HotShots. 6, load 6, load 6 in under 5 seconds. The loads are beautiful and shown in slow-mo.

Same with the Travis Tomasie "the perfect reload" video on YouTube.

Look for small things. Compare to video of yourself.

my tip is stop freaking out. if you're a new shooter, and you're not shooting under 5 seconds in el prez, you probably have little to gain from 1 second reloads, but lots to gain from nailing a 1.2 second reload EVERY TIME.

I'm an old guy with lots of slow-twitch muscles, but I found that by continuing to practice, my reloads kept getting better and more consistent. There's no magic formula besides structured practice. But I agree with the earlier comment that you seem to have excess movement with your gun. If the mags don't come out reliably without the extra shake/flip motion, then find out why and fix it.

Edited by motosapiens

Grapist, LOL. You could use a whole pile of mags like I do and just pick them all up once in a while. Intermix in a few no mag drop reloads and you can keep yourself honest on the mag drop and be more efficient.

Grapist, LOL. You could use a whole pile of mags like I do and just pick them all up once in a while. Intermix in a few no mag drop reloads and you can keep yourself honest on the mag drop and be more efficient.

Actually I normally don't drop mags at all. I start with the gun empty. I just use a mag occasionally to make sure I'm not developing any bad habits.

I don't really stress too much about the mag drop because all the time is getting the new mag off the belt and up to the gun. There is plenty of time to be very deliberate about pressing the mag release and pulling the gun in closer.

Not sure if you do that, but when dry firing get some ammo without primer and powder in the mags for the weight. Also, I believe you don't look into the mag funnel. As written above try the Burkett reload exercise, and: do it while moving out/in of a position, means: left to right, right to left, backwards and forwards. The goal is not to have on or two reloads within a second par time, but to have 999 out of 1000 within 1.2 seconds or so. Also exercise using all mags on your rig.

my tip is stop freaking out. if you're a new shooter, and you're not shooting under 5 seconds in el prez, you probably have little to gain from 1 second reloads, but lots to gain from nailing a 1.2 second reload EVERY TIME.

I'm an old guy with lots of slow-twitch muscles, but I found that by continuing to practice, my reloads kept getting better and more consistent. There's no magic formula besides structured practice. But I agree with the earlier comment that you seem to have excess movement with your gun. If the mags don't come out reliably without the extra shake/flip motion, then find out why and fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6MOkj1-3bg&feature=player_detailpage

Very impressed with your skill and motivated seeing a person in my same age group do it! Edited by johnbu