Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon titewad powder for 9mm

Kepo

Hey guys anybody have experience using titewad powder for 9mm plinking loads. I have a boat load of this powder from when I was shooting sporting clays, and would like to work up some plinking loads for my glock 19. Hodgdon has load data for this powder using a berry's 124 gr hollow base bullet. I am wanting to use precision delta hollow points loaded at the same OAL. I guess my question is how much of pressure increase if any would I see using a flat based bullet as opposed to the berry's hollow base.

BULLET WEIGHT124 GR. BERB HBRN TP

ManufacturerHodgdon

PowderTitewad

Bullet Diameter.356"

C.O.L.1.150"

Starting Load

Grains2.9

Velocity (ft/s)847

Pressure28,700 PSI

Maximum Load

Grains3.4

Velocity (ft/s)942

Pressure32,200 PSI

Edited by Kepo

Load data is a report, not a recipe. You determine your OAL with a push, plunk, and/or spin test. OAL used in the data is irrelevant. It's your pistol, not their test fixture. And in this case, not only is it not the same bullet -- it's plated vs jacketed, and it's not even the same profile. Push, plunk, spin. Find your OAL.

With the Precision Delta 124gr JHP and Titegroup, you will probably see 130PF somewhere around 3.9 grains IF your OAL is 1.09. I suspect you can load that bullet out to 1.13/1.14 or more in your Glock, so you probably won't see 130PF until somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.1/4.2gr. Please start low and work up. ;)

Load data is a report, not a recipe. You determine your OAL with a push, plunk, and/or spin test. OAL used in the data is irrelevant. It's your pistol, not their test fixture. And in this case, not only is it not the same bullet -- it's plated vs jacketed, and it's not even the same profile. Push, plunk, spin. Find your OAL.

With the Precision Delta 124gr JHP and Titegroup, you will probably see 130PF somewhere around 3.9 grains IF your OAL is 1.09. I suspect you can load that bullet out to 1.13/1.14 or more in your Glock, so you probably won't see 130PF until somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.1/4.2gr. Please start low and work up. ;)

This data is for titegroup. OP has a bunch of titewad which is a quite a bit hotter than titegroup. I personally haven't used titewad but just wanted to make sure the OP didn't read this thinking it was titewad load data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This data is for titegroup. OP has a bunch of titewad which is a quite a bit hotter than titegroup. I personally haven't used titewad but just wanted to make sure the OP didn't read this thinking it was titewad load data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea i caught the different powders bouboy 02. Thanks for looking out!

Whoah! Sorry, brother. Yeah, not Titegroup. My bad.

With Titewad, your top load at max standard is 942. You're probably not seeing minor PF load data for it because it won't do minor inside standard pressures.

Again, sorry for the mix up. ;)

Whoah! Sorry, brother. Yeah, not Titegroup. My bad.

With Titewad, your top load at max standard is 942. You're probably not seeing minor PF load data for it because it won't do minor inside standard pressures.

Again, sorry for the mix up. ;)

No worries thanks for your help. I rephrased that part, I dont need to hit a minor pf floor just was going to use this load for practice/ plinking.

• 3 months later...

I did try Titewad with some success in .40 and .45ACP but had no luck getting any 9mm to reliably cycle with it except a H&K P7, even after raising the load until the primer started to flow (for a Glock though you should have no problem finding a really light recoil spring). If it just happens to be accurate with a near maximum load then it is really sweet for plinking and even softer and quieter than Clays, but seemed so touchy that I weighed every load on a Chargemaster. That got old fast.

I was happy with MG, PD + Zero .40 180 RNFP @ 3.5gr or 200 @ 2.9gr loaded short at 1.120", and plated + cast .45ACP 230 RN @ 3.4gr 1.250". The brass just dribbles out of the ejection port and falls straight down, but the cases are bulged and primers flattened just like full-power factory ammo, indicating pressures are maxed, but brief (it probably burns completely within the first half inch of barrel).

You may have noticed that it is really dirty at shotgun pressures but it cleans up at the high pressures you must use for a semi-auto--it's not the cleanest (and the residue is hard to scrub off unlike the greasy mess left by Titegroup) but it's cheap and you don't use much. For mouse fart loads I prefer the safer Tin Star or even N310 or Clays but if there's a powder shortage, Titewad will allow you to shoot if you take some care in reloading. It's certainly more flexible than Trail Boss which requires magnum primers in large revolver cartridges and .45ACP. It just takes up even less room in the case than Clays (hey it's more than Titegroup!).

There should be nearly no difference in pressures between HBRN and plain RN as the volume below the bullet is the same, just shaped differently. If anything the flat base will have lower pressures because the bearing surface is less which reduces friction. You can compare them in Quickload and see for yourself, but note Quickload has powder data to simulate all of the powders above... except Titewad.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying a couple of loads with Titewad recently. I'm using a Bear Creek 124 gr (Graphite-lube, no groove) with 2.6 gr loaded to 1.050 oal, and a 135 gr commercially cast RN with the same charge seated at 1.100 in my Kimber 9mm. No pressure signs, accurate, and NO RECOIL, kicks like a .22. Very fun loads, couldn't tell you the PF. Kimber has a 17lb mainspring and an 8lb recoil spring with a BarSto barrel.

• 2 years later...

I use powder coated cast lead .356- 125- 2R bullets from a lee mold which are flat base round nose over 3.0 grains of titewad with winchester small pistol primers with a oal of 1.125" and they work great no pressure signs and they cycle my sccy cpx2 with out any issues and have a velocity average of 925fps.  i have tested from 2.6 to 3.3 grains until my first pressure  signs appeared they do recoil close to a standard factory round and are super cheap to load cost per round wise. 

Edited by Cheapshot
Forgot info

• 3 weeks later...

I use Titewad in 9mm loads.  I have had guys at the 3 gun comment on how quiet my gun is compared to others.

My load is

3.1 grains titewad

147 gr Zero bullet

federal match primer

1.2" COL

875 fps

I use an STI DVC 3 gun and it has never failed with this load.  3.2 grains of titewad starts to show pressure signs.  I am going to try some blue bullets.  These coated bullets are faster so I should be able to drop my powder charge.  Titewad meters great, it is a flake powder.  I can achieve minor power factor for USPSA no problem

• 9 months later...