Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Extensions (Newbie Question) USPSA

Msummerf

I'm about to get into the world of USPSA, I have a G34. My question is are the mag extensions, like the TTI ones really worth it? I know I only have 2 ounces to work with, so with grip plug, talon grips, dawson sights I don't know if they are worth it. After watching videos of matches it seems people reload way before they hit the 15 round mark anyway.

It really comes down to if I want the basepads or SS guide rod because having both I believe would put me over the weight and push me to limited, which I don't want to do. Just need some advice from you guys. Thanks.

The sights are must have, get those done and see where you are ... you'll gain weight with those vs the stock plastic Glock sights. We had a guy here get bumped with an overweight Glock, and while he was clean two majors, the third one no changes he had the over-weight problem. Either variance in scale (or a lot more dirt, LOL), so maybe not worth creeping too close to limit.

FWIW, you don't need extended pads, but some folks like base pads to add a little weight to drop mags. But (clean) Glock mags are pretty slick out the chute.

I thought extended mags aren't allowed in production?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

As long as you only load 10 rounds per mag and the whole shebang fits in the box and makes weight you can change basepads. They are more to add a bit of weight then anything else.

I think they're pretty pointless for Production. I have no issues with mags dropping without any added weight on them. You will want a different guide rod so you can change spring weight and then might as well get a steel one. My G34 Gen 4 with Dawson sights and a Zev extended stainless steel guide rod is 27oz.

After watching videos of matches it seems people reload way before they hit the 15 round mark anyway.

That's because you can only have 10 rounds in the mags for Production ;)

Perfect that answers my question thanks guys. With you changing your guide rod and different spring weights did you have to change your striker spring or is it ok to leave that stock if I have a 13 or 14# recoils spring ?

To answer your question, you don't need to change the striker spring, it doesn't really relate to the recoil spring.

You can change the striker spring to make the trigger pull lighter by using a lighter spring. Don't go too light though or you will get light strikes on your primers.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Edited by andyroth