Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 92FS Rear Sight Opinions

ericjhuber

So I have a mid-1990s era Italian made Beretta 92FS that is my baby. I went through the police academy with it and it was with me during all of my patrol days. I have more than a little bit of soft spot for it and I'll never sell it.

I want to use it for USPSA and after consulting with Ben Stoeger, I sent it off to Dave Olhasso for him to do some trigger work on it. Dave did a fantastic job with it so the last piece of the puzzle is getting the rear sight right.

I tried the LPA adjustable sight and while it's a really good sight, it just doesn't work well with the 92FS since it's a fixed sight and I don't have an option to make it higher.

I'm thinking the best option is going to be a Wilson 92FS Battle sight and then I also have to figure out a sight pusher. It looks like the MGW sight pusher is the same thing as the official Beretta sight pusher, but thirty dollars less, but I can't tell for sure.

So I'm looking for advice on the best option for a rear sight given that I have that fixed front sight and also a suggestion on a reasonably priced sight pusher. I didn't find anything on the MGW vs. Beretta Official sight pusher when searching the forums, but I could have missed something.

• 2 weeks later...

The trouble with the LPA sight is that the Beretta pusher won't actually fit around it... You have to use the B&J tool pusher for it...

Hell, if you want, I'd can push the sight off for you and install the new one - shipping the slide shouldn't be too bad.

(Hell - I was up there last month... I had the pushers with me too... Too bad we missed that boat!)

Edited by Less

Thanks, Les. That's very kind of you. I've actually got the sights off the slide so I'm trying to noodle my way through what sights I should put on it.

It looked like you were using stock sights on yours when we spoke at that WAC match before FLOP.

My "burrito" is my baby even though I'm a single stack nerd so the last piece of the puzzle is figuring out what is the best rear sight for it.

Thanks, Les. That's very kind of you. I've actually got the sights off the slide so I'm trying to noodle my way through what sights I should put on it.

It looked like you were using stock sights on yours when we spoke at that WAC match before FLOP.

My "burrito" is my baby even though I'm a single stack nerd so the last piece of the puzzle is figuring out what is the best rear sight for it.

I really like Novak sights... First thing I do to all pistols when I get 'em is change out the rear for a Novak and the front for a Dawson.

Their website is still down, but they have a phone# to call on there: http://www.novaksights.com

WilsonCombat also has sights, but I find the "U-Notch" a touch distracting.

You're a gentleman and a scholar, Less. I'll likely just nab my own sight pusher so that I have one on hand, but you just answered my question on which one to snag.

Cheer man! Hit me up if you have any questions!

• 1 month later...

Just got off the phone with Novak today. They told me they're discontinuing their all black .125 notch rear sight. Anybody know where I can find one in .278 height?

This is not cool

For those with enough experience, if you could by any sight pusher to work on 92's and PX4's primarily which would you get? Fully committed to the 92/PX4 for the foreseeable future, would love to get a good pusher and stop using the vice/punches to change/adjust sights.

For those with enough experience, if you could by any sight pusher to work on 92's and PX4's primarily which would you get? Fully committed to the 92/PX4 for the foreseeable future, would love to get a good pusher and stop using the vice/punches to change/adjust sights.

I have the MGW 92 sight pusher. It is pretty good, but you have trouble with Kensight-style sights (doesn't fit)...

I think MGW makes a Universal took that you buys specific inserts for - I've heard that version is pretty awesome.

I also have the B&J 500: It is good for the tight front sights on Brig slides, is adjustable, but, is a PITA to use, actually.

• 2 months later...

Working on T&Eing a new rear sight from Wilson Combat now...

With Nationals coming fast, and work kicking my ass, I don't have time to take detailed pictures, etc...

The notch is a .150" wide, square. Various heights (.270, .290, .305) for regulating the various slide types.

bsight2.png

I'm working on my old school Italian-made Beretta 92FS also this month getting the rear slide situation figured out now. I went with the MGW 92 sight pusher also and it works just great.

The .270 Wilson Combat rear sight is billed as the factory replacement height and once I got it on the slide, it brought the point of aim to where I remember it being both when I've used it for USPSA and back in the day when it went through the police academy and any number of training/qualification shoots. I always shot/shoot just a bit low and just a tad to the left with it, but still with very tight groups at 25'. I've always assumed it was just the typical shooter induced low/left issue.

I'm actually going to try putting the .280 on it next and pushing the sights just a little bit to the side for windage and see what that gets me. I could run with these .270 sights and I'd be just fine, but now I have to know what the .280 will do for me.

Question for Less: Are you having to do any fitting for these Wilson Combat rear sights to get them on your Beretta(s)? I had to do just a tab bit of fitting on mine and everything was fine, but I wasn't sure it that was unique or not.

Edited by ericjhuber

I'm working on my old school Italian-made Beretta 92FS also this month getting the rear slide situation figured out now. I went with the MGW 92 sight pusher also and it works just great.

The .270 Wilson Combat rear sight is billed as the factory replacement height and once I got it on the slide, it brought the point of aim to where I remember it being both when I've used it for USPSA and back in the day when it went through the police academy and any number of training/qualification shoots. I always shot/shoot just a bit low and just a tad to the left with it, but still with very tight groups at 25'. I've always assumed it was just the typical shooter induced low/left issue.

I'm actually going to try putting the .280 on it next and pushing the sights just a little bit to the side for windage and see what that gets me. I could run with these .270 sights and I'd be just fine, but now I have to know what the .280 will do for me.

Question for Less: Are you having to do any fitting for these Wilson Combat rear sights to get them on your Beretta(s)? I had to do just a tab bit of fitting on mine and everything was fine, but I wasn't sure it that was unique or not.

I have not needed to fit a WC sight as of yet... YMMV, tho (as it did?)

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2016 at 4:41 AM, Less said:

Working on T&Eing a new rear sight from Wilson Combat now...

With Nationals coming fast, and work kicking my ass, I don't have time to take detailed pictures, etc...

The notch is a .150" wide, square. Various heights (.270, .290, .305) for regulating the various slide types.

bsight2.png

Less, any updates you could share on the progress of this sight? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2016 at 9:51 PM, Aggie said:

Less, any updates you could share on the progress of this sight? Thanks

Sorry - took a trip to Italy to visit Beretta and have been trying to catch up ...

I'm very happy with the way these things have turned out: Sight is, apparently, going to go into production at Wilson Combat. I don't think they've setup a SKU for the item as of yet.

I'll chime back when I know more.

• 2 weeks later...