Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Postmortem on DAA / CED Backpack

SpankYa

In 2014 I created a post discussing my experience with the medium size range backpack.

After some discussion, CED replaced my pack in Sept 2014 as a courtesy. They were very clear that this deformation was to be expected. In the meanwhile, I purchased a Shooters Connection bag and used it. I finally put the replacement DAA backpack into service at the beginning of 2015 so have used it for 15 months now.

Summary: they were right. The deformation should be expected since it's happened again. Additionally, I have three broken zippers. Great bag in concept, poor longevity. I don't recommend spending $160 (plus $25 for shipping) because it just doesn't last long enough. My typical load is one 2011 or a 1911, plus 250 rounds of 40SW. Some misc like a timer, glasses, earplugs, some replacement parts like safety, slide stop...

Lester

post-34695-0-00441000-1457928190_thumb.j

post-34695-0-74877400-1457928194_thumb.j

post-34695-0-35718700-1457928199_thumb.j

post-34695-0-52682100-1457928204_thumb.j

Im happy with my Large CED backpack however i just use for Lvl2 or Higher matches. Local matches i use a medium size rangebag from Midway and it serves me well. I also purchased the cart which is a great concept but i never could get the tires to stay inflated so i switched it to 8" solid rubber wheels problem solved

I've been using mine for over 2 years and it started to deform after the first year but it's still usable. Luckily, I only have one broken zipper (top left pocket)

I'll probably give the shooters connection backpack a shot after this one dies.

I think they are good ONLY if you use their cart as well. all the ones I've seen fail were used as backpacks (which is fair enough since that's what it is!). I have the large version and use it with the DAA cart. I've used it once a week for about a year and probably 6 X 2 day matches. All of those uses were on the cart. I generally carry at least 200 rounds of ammo and usually 2 handguns, plus a tool kit, various spares, all the usual ear and eye pro and a bunch of crap I don't need. the bag basically looks new. no broken zippers and no sagging.

it's a shame though that they can't stand up to being used as a backpack for any length of time. but my small sample of 1 on a cart does work nicely.

I have one the medium size and i do use it as a backpack , i have it for more than two years now and it stil looks like new .

I usually carry two guns ( open and standard ) toolbag , and 300 + ammo .

I have one the medium size and i do use it as a backpack , i have it for more than two years now and it stil looks like new .

I usually carry two guns ( open and standard ) toolbag , and 300 + ammo .

How many times a month do you use it? All of the ones I've seen start looking pretty rough after a year of 3 times monthly use (faded, bottom section collapsing, broken zippers, etc.)

4 to 8 times a month , i have one gun in the bottom compartment and my ammo in the bottom side pockets ( not all the weight in te bottom compartment ).

But i don't throw him around , the one in the picture above looks like he survived a HALO dropping .

Edited by Tino2212

I've been using mine for over 2 years and it started to deform after the first year but it's still usable. Luckily, I only have one broken zipper (top left pocket)

I'll probably give the shooters connection backpack a shot after this one dies.

4 to 8 times a month , i have one gun in the bottom compartment and my ammo in the bottom side pockets ( not all the weight in te bottom compartment ).

But i don't throw him around , the one in the picture above looks like he survived a HALO dropping .

Spank just carries the backpack from the parking lot to tables at each stage. He is meticulous in the way he handles his gear. It is not a handling problem...

Im happy with my Large CED backpack however i just use for Lvl2 or Higher matches. Local matches i use a medium size rangebag from Midway and it serves me well. I also purchased the cart which is a great concept but i never could get the tires to stay inflated so i switched it to 8" solid rubber wheels problem solved

I've been looking for a solid rubber wheel with an axle OD that fits this cart, but no luck. Where did you buy your wheels?

• 3 weeks later...

In 2014 I created a post discussing my experience with the medium size range backpack.

After some discussion, CED replaced my pack in Sept 2014 as a courtesy. They were very clear that this deformation was to be expected. In the meanwhile, I purchased a Shooters Connection bag and used it. I finally put the replacement DAA backpack into service at the beginning of 2015 so have used it for 15 months now.

Summary: they were right. The deformation should be expected since it's happened again. Additionally, I have three broken zippers. Great bag in concept, poor longevity. I don't recommend spending $160 (plus $25 for shipping) because it just doesn't last long enough. My typical load is one 2011 or a 1911, plus 250 rounds of 40SW. Some misc like a timer, glasses, earplugs, some replacement parts like safety, slide stop...

Lester

I was gonna get a daa pack the big one at the end of 15 when my academy cart crapped out. I just couldn't bring myself to buying in after I saw one in person. Don't think they are worth the money. Went with the camo cart from academy. Love it and he price. Last one lasted me years.

I think they are good ONLY if you use their cart as well. all the ones I've seen fail were used as backpacks (which is fair enough since that's what it is!). I have the large version and use it with the DAA cart. I've used it once a week for about a year and probably 6 X 2 day matches. All of those uses were on the cart. I generally carry at least 200 rounds of ammo and usually 2 handguns, plus a tool kit, various spares, all the usual ear and eye pro and a bunch of crap I don't need. the bag basically looks new. no broken zippers and no sagging.

it's a shame though that they can't stand up to being used as a backpack for any length of time. but my small sample of 1 on a cart does work nicely.

It then becomes a cart pack and not a backpack. :goof:

I went through 2 big and one small DAA backpack. All zippers broke, and interior deteriorated quickly as well.

Nice design and looks, but as with most DAA products - rather poor quality, paired with fairly high price.

I now use regular civilian bags (samsonite etc.).

• 1 month later...

Mine started deforming after a few months and the top wont hold as much as it use to.. I do put a lot of stuff in the top though. Zipper on the right side of the bottom compartment is busted. I wont buy another, I'll find something else.

It's weird. Mine is going on a year of use now. I use it once a week for a day match/practice and say once every 6 weeks for a 2 day match.

Mine is the big one. I've removed the water bladder.

Side pockets are stuffed with tools, various bits and pieces.

Bottom compartment always has 2 or 3 pistols in there plus my daa cleaning kit.

Top compartment always has at least 200 rounds in 100 round boxes but for a match it'll be 300+ in there each day plus 2 sets of eye pro, ear muffs, daa knee pads, a few key tools (squib rod, hammer, pliers, hex keys) and at least 8 mags in the mag slots. Plus a hat and other miscellaneous gear.

It's held up just fine. I did break off some stitching for part of the webbing on a side pocket but that was my fault (got caught on the corner of a metal box in my car boot and I yanked it).

I do however always use it on the daa cart. I use the top red strap and bottom/middle black

Strap to secure it to the cart.

I'm really happy with mine. I wonder if it just dorsvt last when used without the cart? Mine is certainly fully loaded. Way more junk than I need really.

I've been looking for a solid rubber wheel with an axle OD that fits this cart, but no luck. Where did you buy your wheels?

PM Sent

I have been happy with the medium AA pack. I carry 2 open guns 400 rounds of 9mm tool kit food and water I shoot 4 or 5 matches a month and take it to the range 2 times a week. It's going on its 2nd year.