Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated Frontier Bullets

ryan45kim

Frontier bullets are sold by rainier, and black hills shooters supply, neither of these companies list them that I have seen (you have to ask for them). The normal bullets that rainier sells are a swaged out of lead wire (pure soft lead) then copper plated, the frontier bullets are hard cast and then copper plated. Both types of bullets are supposedly made in South Africa by the same company. Rainier sizes their name brand bullets a second time to make them more consistent and the frontiers are not. This is what I “have heard” and wanted to see if anyone else has been using them.

"The normal bullets that rainier sells are a swaged out of lead wire (pure soft lead) then copper plated,"

Correct! That is one of the problems & the benefits of US made electroplated bullets like the Speer TMJ & Speer Gold Dot; the lead is soft & expands as well as the old 158 grn Lead Hollow Point .38 Special +P load of yester-year. But the bullets easily deform in loading & if over crimped, the plating will tear.

"the frontier bullets are hard cast and then copper plated."

Also correct. Every box of Frontiers have a quality lable in with the bullets that states "Cast".

"Both types of bullets are supposedly made in South Africa by the same company."

Batting 1000%. Made by Frontier Metal Processing (PTY) Ltd., Stilfontein, South Africa.

Available in the USA through T&T Reloading - do a search here on the be.com forum for T&T's new web address. They come to all the gun shows & will deliver Frontiers to you for free. While my shooting at the SC sectional sucked, the Frontier 180 rounded flat point 180s functioned flawlessly & accurately.

D.C. Johnson

www.shootersparadise.com

"now what powder WST,WSF, or Tight group? "

I use N330 or N320. Of the powders mentioned, I like Titegroup.

" How do they work at ~1100 fps?"

Not sure about the 158s, but the 124s WILL stand up to Major (which they are not supposed to be able to withstand, but they do). Try it & see. I bet the 158s will easily take 1100. DO NOT OVER CRIMP!!! Very light crimp w/ plated so as to not tear the jacket.

D.

I tried Frontier 124's in a super. Bad JuJu. Bullets tumbled and the weight was very inconsistent. Crimp was @ .378 and OAL was 1.250. 1345 FPS. Of course this was out of MY gun.

Can't beat the price though.

DaG

Thats what I wanted to hear, just ordered 16000 180gr 40s now what powder WST,WSF, or Tight group?

Not to be obtuse here but.........You order 16K unknown quality bullets and then inquire about them. Just what was the plan if you got some negative feed back from the many knowledgable ones here......not to mention you apparantly have not function or accuracy checked them in your guns.........

Pretty Bold....hope it works out.

TR

No I got a sample order first before I placed the big order.

My Bar-Sto barrel likes them just fine (not one hole at 50 yards but good enough for USPSA) but my stock para barrel does not.

Just wanted to know if anyone else had tried them.

In my P9 I have used the 124gr flat point CMJ and the 138gr CMJ RN, and the 124 on top of my same load for a Win. FMJ shoots excellent, accuracy was really good, if not the same as with the FMJ. The heavier 138gr was very accurate, kicked a little harder, but built up lots of pressure to work the comp. I use HS6 and the loads are around 165PF. I have had good luck with Frontier so far, I like them.

I`m using the frontier bullets in 180grain and 200grain (both bullets are plated, RN with a little flat top) in IPSC/Europe as .40 major loads.

180grain with N320 powder and 200grain with N340 powder, both runnig excellent out of my Tanfoglio Custom Limited HC and my STI with bull barrel.

Had never problems, loads are very accurate and consistend

A lot of reloaders here in Austria using this bullets and are happy with

DVC

Christian

No I got a sample order first before I placed the big order.

My Bar-Sto barrel likes them just fine (not one hole at 50 yards but good enough for USPSA) but my stock para barrel does not.

Just wanted to know if anyone else had tried them.

Very well....bad assumption on my part.

TR

I used them in 40SW with the Round Nose Flat Point (RNFP) 180gr, work's great, also use the 124 gr 9mm RN in 9x19 Major (Stinger) they are very good grouping is good don't tumble and stayed together around 1450 fps (max I went), but I use only MG or Hornady for match...th weight of the Frontier vary a lot like all plated bullet I have tried.

Daniel D.

• 4 weeks later...

I have stumbled upon this forum by change,

For a list of suppliers in the USA, contact Kent Munden at Black Hills Shooters Supplies, kent@bhshooters.com.

Our website is www.frontierbullets.co.za

Our e-mail is frontier@gds.co.za

tel +27 18 4841846 (you may reach us after hours because of the time difference, we have had a couple of sleepy answers; but you are welcome to call any time!)

I see that some of the writers on this forum have experienced problems; though we cannot answer any questions on US powders, we should be able to help anybody who have problems or questions on reloading of our bullets, please feel free to send us an e-mail. Our bullets are used in IPSC every day and are "torture tested" on our factory ranges. We should be able to solve any possible problem experienced by reloaders. It is a pleasure for us to deal with the end-users of our products, since we work through distributors world-wide and often feel out of touch with the real users.

Susan Economakis, Frontier Metal Processing, South Africa.

I have had good luck with the frontier 124 FP in my 9mm Berretta and in my 45(230 RN).They shoot as well as jacketed and are only slightly more expensive than lead around here.

I cant say the same about my open gun(38S PF 168).Ive tried both the 124 and 115 gr,and the grouping was terrible,difficult to keep all the shots on an IPSC target at 25m.I get the impression that the bullets were too soft at that velocity to engage the rifling properly.Im sure there are others who have been OK with this.

Ill continue to use them in my 9mm and 45 as they are otherwise a good product

• 1 month later...

I love to find a cheaper alternative to MG bullets, but these frontier bullets aren't. I just just a note that there's a dist on the westcoast (US) now, but the prices wouldn't even temp me to switch from MG.

45-230gr RN $98/1000 (Montanagold $92/1000)

40-180gr RNFP $83/1000 (Montanagold $87/1000)

Are these the prices everyone else is paying?

I love to find a cheaper alternative to MG bullets, but these frontier bullets aren't.  I just just a note that there's a dist on the westcoast (US) now, but the prices wouldn't even temp me to switch from MG.

45-230gr RN $98/1000 (Montanagold $92/1000)

40-180gr RNFP $83/1000 (Montanagold $87/1000)

Are these the prices everyone else is paying?

In Europe the price is 53€/1000 :P

• 1 month later...

I'm paying

$53 for 230gr RN 45acp

$46 for 180gr RNFP 40S&W

$36 for 125gr RN 9mm

for frontier bullets.

That includes shipping.

Almost double the bullets sounds like a good reason to switch to me.

I shot my first 16,000 and just got 15,000 more (now I just have to load them).