Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Ice magwell question

galt11

So I am thinking of installing a Dawson Ice magwell on one of my 2011s but I see they make a regular version and a "big hands" version. While I realize the feel of each will be subjective, I would like to hear from those that may have tried one or better both to see if there is a big difference. It looks like the cuts just allow you're hand to sit a bit lower on the magwell. Thanks

Adam

I've used both and have come to like the Big Hands version.

I used the standard one for a long time and felt like it pushed my hand up, which was nice. Then I bought a new gun and it had the Big Hands magwell on it. At first I didn't like it because it didn't push my hand up and I felt like I had a little bit of wiggle room for my left hand position. I left it on anyway and got used to it and now swapping back and forth between guns I think I get more of the meat of my hand on the grip on the Big Hands version whereas the standard one seems to push my hand out away from the gun some. I've been shooting the Big Hands version for the last 1.5 years and have really gotten used to it, so much that I'm trying to trade/buy them to swap out on a couple of my other guns.

I wear large gloves and have decently large meaty hands. I'd say try both if you can find someone near by who might have one to try.

I have medium to smallish hands and use the regular ICE mag well, I like the way it helps me keep a higher grip.

My son has freakish gorilla sized hands and switched to the large hand ICE and likes it better. Says his hands don't feel squeezed between the magwell and the beaver tail.

I have medium size hands and agree with some others posting that I like the feel of the standard magwell pushing my hand up. This gives me more of a "locked" feel and helps me to index the gun in my right hand the same way every time I draw and grip it.

Your best bet is to try both, if you can. I prefer the big hand version. My hand is about 3 3/4" across at the knuckles. It still guides and holds my hand in place without feeling crammed in.

Thanks for the info. The measurement idea was great. Based on that I am guessing I may want to get the larger one. Thanks

Your best bet is to try both, if you can. I prefer the big hand version. My hand is about 3 3/4" across at the knuckles. It still guides and holds my hand in place without feeling crammed in.

Thanks for the info. The measurement idea was great. Based on that I am guessing I may want to get the larger one. Thanks

The edge of my hand falls into the cutout on the side of the magwell. I will try to take a picture when I get home. Working right now.

I'm very happy with the switch to the "Big Hands" magwell, it allows me to get my hand flatter against the grip/gun, my hand measures 4.25 inches across my palm.

As others have stated, trying them for yourself is the best option. I was lucky enough to have a guy that let me try a Cape as well the Big hands before I ordered one