Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up Limit Pro for IDPA SSP

MilkMyDuds

Currently using a Stock 2 for Production, and trying to set up a backup gun that I can also use for IDPA SSP. Before I buy the Limited Pro, I want to hear others' experiences:

1. Limited Pro official weight data is 41 oz, and IDPA weight limit is 43 oz. Does anyone have data on how much the Limited Pro actually weigh with an empty magazine? Has anyone run into overweight problems when mag basepad is added, grip panels replaced (e.g. Extreme or Henning grip panels)?

2. Since Limited Pro was offered with single-sided safety at some point, it's legal to leave only one side of the safety on just in case the width won't fit into the IDPA box, correct?

3. I have seen someone replaced the slide lock release with a more reachable version. Like this one below. Does anyone know where to get that? Is that SSP legal?

post-32584-0-33304800-1442366823.jpg

1) I have never heard of anyone being over the weight limit w/a stock Lim Pro. Mag base pads can only be 2oz or lighter, so you should be OK

2) CORRECT

3) If the slide lock lever is stock on another SSP Legal gun from Tango, your good, if not, leave it stock.

I run a Limited Pro in IDPA and have it setup to be legal in SSP and ESP. It weighed 42.8 oz at the S&W Indoor Nationals last month with Eric Grauffel Xtreme grips, and a single sided extended safety installed. As for the weight, make sure you use the factory plastic base pads because most aluminum ones I know of, will make the gun overweight. For example, my Limited Pro weighs 43.2 oz, when using the Shock bottle base pads from Ben Stoeger's Pro Shop, which is .2 oz overweight.

As for IDPA box fit, make sure you check your gun in an IDPA box of exact dimensions. The Limited Pro is extremely close to not fitting due to the length and I have found slight manufacturing variances in dimensions between the same model Tanfoglio pistols. One Limited Pro might fit and another might not. IDPA allows test boxes to be 1/16" oversize but that doesn't mean the box has to be so although your gun may fit in one test box, it might not fit another. My Limited Pro just barely fit the box at Indoor Nationals and they used a plastic official test box from IDPA which has exact dimensions. The other area of concern besides length, is the width of the Gold Custom extended ambi-safety. This safety setup is way too wide to fit in the IDPA box so you must replace it with a single sided safety. Also note that the Witness extended ambi-safety used on the Stock 2 or Stock 3 will not fit the IDPA test box either and would put your gun into ESP anyway. As long as the part you install comes factory installed on another SSP legal gun, your gun will remain legal for SSP. My research has shown 3 options for SSP legal single sided safeties that will fit the IDPA box. They are, the single sided Gold Custom (used to be installed on the Limited Pro), the single sided EAA Witness extended safety (SSP legal Tanfoglio P21L), and the single sided EAA Witness standard safety (SSP legal EAA Witness). You also mentioned if removing your right side safety on the Limited Pro would still keep your gun SSP legal and the answer is no. Removing the roll pin and right side safety would constitute an external modification and you may not visibly modify any external safety in SSP. As for the slide stop, I am not aware if it is factory installed on another SSP legal firearm but if it is, you should be good to go.

Here is the rule regarding external modifications:

8.2.1.4 SSP Excluded Modifications (Non-Inclusive list):

8.2.1.4.1 Externally visible modifications other than those listed in the Permitted Modifications

section.

8.2.1.4.2 Aftermarket or visibly modified magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking

levers, and hammers.

Hope this helps.

That is my gun in the top photo, I have since removed the slide release seen since the gun reliably auto closes with any slide release. The one seen is legal however. My gun was overweight with EG aluminum grips , so I drilled holes partially through the back of the grips to lighten them. Plastic base pads only, and they have been fine since they don't get dropped so often in IDPA. I have 3 pros and all fit the box fine. I now prefer my pro to my stock 2 and use it in IDPA, USPSA and 3 gun

• 2 weeks later...

Great information. Thanks guys!

One more question -

All the frame parts I used to set up Stock 2 can be used for the Limited Pro. For the upper, the only difference between a Stock 2 and Limited Pro is the recoil spring, correct? Firing pin, FPB etc. are all common between Stock 2 and Limited Pro, right?

Thanks.

One more question -

All the frame parts I used to set up Stock 2 can be used for the Limited Pro. For the upper, the only difference between a Stock 2 and Limited Pro is the recoil spring, correct? Firing pin, FPB etc. are all common between Stock 2 and Limited Pro, right?

Thanks.

The parts interchange, but ....not the same.

Lim pro uses a one piece sear, s2 a two piece. The fp block on the lim pro is thus extended to make it work. Obviously, the recoil spring and rod are different too. Having both. Those are what I noted as differences from the factory. (Aside from safety levers!)

If they are both large frame, the same aftermarket goodies are used.

Edited by johnbu

One more question -

Thanks.

The parts interchange, but ....not the same.

Lim pro uses a one piece sear, s2 a two piece. The fp block on the lim pro is thus extended to make it work. Obviously, the recoil spring and rod are different too. Having both. Those are what I noted as differences from the factory. (Aside from safety levers!)

If they are both large frame, the same aftermarket goodies are used.

Thanks.

I put the 1 piece sear into my Stock 2 and it worked well with the Xtreme FP block. Does this mean if I just put the Xtreme FP block into the Limited Pro it would work too?