Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 help... primer issues and crushed cases

Hey Enos, been a few since I was over here... Well, like anything place with solid members who are willing to give sound advice, I am back...

I recently bought a 1050!! I am very new to this press and am learning everyday that passes... I will say, from what I am seeing, caliber conversions, primer change, etc... are very easy! I am not sure what the big hoopla was or why I was worried about the while changing calibers...

In saying that, I have hit some some road blocks that I do not 100% know how to fix or even understand why they are happening... I called Dillon and sadly enough, they gave me some pretty lame guidance which was really zero help at all (no offense to them, they are always awesome)... Just has not worked out these last few calls...

I bought a Super 1050 with many additional options... without getting into all of them, I want to talk about where I am right now, and the issues I am having....

The press is currently set up in 9mm with a Mr. Bulletfeeder on it.... LOVE IT!!! But, its not running correctly right now.

I am having two issues...

First, the primers seem to be seating a little bit to deep... Because I am new to the press, I do not fully understand how to change both the swagging station or how to adjust the primer seat depth? I am getting a lot of funky seated primers, and some seem to be seated very deep (they shoot fine, just do not look 100% correct). I need some help and thoughts with this.

The second and more important part is when the case leaves the primer seat station,the cases are being "pushed" up on and "tilting" the case a little bit... this is causing the Mr. Bullet Feeder powder funnel to crush cases walls regularly... its getting a bit annoying as this is happening every 6-7 case. I literally have no idea what adjustment needs to be tweaked to fix the issue.

Lastly, my detent ball that the shell plate indexes on gets stuck in a compressed way? I have absolutely no idea why this happens? Usually I can grab an allen wrench and push on the underside of the press and it pops back up, however there have been a few times I literally had to take off the shell plate to get it loose.

Everything else seems to be going great... just not sure exactly how to fix these issues... I am really looking forward to advise, suggestions, tips on "how to" fix/tweak the press so I am not breaking down every few rounds.

Thanks Enos crew for all the help in advance!

Bobby

To adjust the primer seating depth, there is an allen screw between the first and second (IIRC) station on top of the toolhead. Turn counter clockwise until you're seating the primers between .002" to .004" below flush.

If the primer seating depth is set too deep, that can actually push up on the case hard enough to deform the brass rim and could lead to the cases 'tilting.'

Try adjusting the seating depth and see if that fixes that issue.

On the ball, take the shellplate off and check for burrs or anything that would cause the ball to get stuck. See if the spring is damaged and has enough power to push it back up.