Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 recoil spring and mainspring weights

Nemesis Lead

14lb Variable recoil spring WOLFF

17lb Mainspring WOLFF

Dawson extended steel firing pin " even with federal primers"

This is with 200g SWC at 169PF, no signs of beating the gun up at all.

So all you guys using 14lb recoil, is that with major power loads? I just put a 16.5 variable in mine w a 19lb main. I read somewhere that you can tell from where your brass is landing if you have the recoil spring weight right but can't remember what the guidelines were.

I'll have to do some more playing. I just put this one in though so I think I'll set my other 1911 up w the 14 and shoot side by side.

Red

I have freinnds that use 12 to 14 pound recoil springs in their 1911. Seeing that the 45 cap generates less pressure than the 40 that a lot of people use 12 pound recoil spring I don't think it's gonna hurt your gun. I have been using a 10 in my 2011 40 and have not seen any issues in 10k rounds I have through it

Does anyone know what factory main spring, recoil spring weights usually are for 9mm?

Hello: Usually around 9-11lb for recoil springs and 19-23lb for mainsprings. Since you are asking about 9mm I use 9lb ISMI recoil spring and a 17lb ISMI mainspring. For 40 I use 17lb mainspring and a 14lb recoil for major and 12.5lb recoil for minor. For 45acp I use a 14lb recoil and a 17ln mainspring. Thanks, Eric