Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heaviest Guide Rod?

jkrispies

My tungsten guide rod broke awhile ago, so I'm back in the market. One of my shooting buddies said that he's heard of a material out there that's heavier than tungsten, but I haven't been able to find one if there is. Any info or suggestions on the heaviest rods I can consider? Thanks, J

Hello: Tungston guide rods break that is what they do after a while. I would try a Stainless EGW guide rod and a Briley aluminum one also. You may actually like the lighter guide rods. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Why not a tungsten guide rod again?

BTW, how did it broke and how long before it broke?

It was pretty old... I'm guessing about 8 years-ish. I know that they have a propensity for breaking, so I always kept the stock stainless one on hand. The rod screws into the head (probably stainless?) and it snapped at the threads where it thinned down. Did a nice little swan dive out the front of the gun, luckilly during practice rather than a match.

Why not a tungsten guide rod again?

BTW, how did it broke and how long before it broke?

It was pretty old... I'm guessing about 8 years-ish. I know that they have a propensity for breaking, so I always kept the stock stainless one on hand. The rod screws into the head (probably stainless?) and it snapped at the threads where it thinned down. Did a nice little swan dive out the front of the gun, luckilly during practice rather than a match.

Out of curiosity, did your gun stop running when your guide rod broke?

Ross Carter got the rights to the Wilson guide rod, Ross is on this forum. They weigh under 5 ounces, I modified one of mine to use in a 6" pistol and it came in at 5 ounces with the extra inch in length. Before the weight restriction for the Single Stack Classic I ran them in all of mine. There is plenty of spring weights available, as to rod availability you will have to get a hold of Ross. I should get a few more if he is still making them.

Rich

I have one of the Wilson tungsten guide rods, about 20 years old. @ 5 1/4 oz, they are quite heavy. They take a special proprietary recoil spring that is larger in diameter than the standard. As far as I know Wilson no longer carries that guide rod. I think Wolff made the special springs for Wilson, 17,15,13,and 11 lbs. My LGS said there was only about a $4 markup between dealer and retail on these guide rods, so he wasn't going to carry them any longer.

It would be nice if Ross Carter would reintroduce them.

Edited by GBertolet

Wilson used to make a heavy tungsten guide rod that took a special wolff spring , I think it weight was 5 oz.

I have one of these and still using it in my .40 They had a tendency to break in the first hundred rounds or so, but if they didn't break, they were good to go. But, too many broke so Wilson stopped making them.

• 3 weeks later...