Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC: DO NOT MIX Carbine Buffers & RIFLE Buffer Tubes

This is a public service announcement for those who are currently looking to build 9MM Pistol Caliber Carbines for USPSA. Carbine buffers & Rifle buffer tubes/springs do not mix. The combination can wreak havoc on components and break stuff. It won't cycle properly, if at all.

post-25517-0-34583900-1457494142_thumb.j

We recently had a customer build up a 9MM carbine and mix a 9MM buffer/BCG combo with a Rifle buffer/spring combo which didn't function properly and he got upset with us for the assembly not working properly. We refused to take the damaged product back for a refund. In emails he stated:

"If there is a specific combination REQUIRED to make a system work correctly, it would be best to specify it rather than use it as an excuse not to stand by the products you sell.

We thought it was common knowledge (or at least searchable knowledge) not to mix Rifle/Carbine buttstock components. However, for those who haven't built many AR-15s they may not realize there is a difference. For those building 9MM carbines for the first time: Stick to Carbine buffers and buffer tubes and you will be far better off.

buffercomparisonsmall.jpg

This image gives some datapoints to go off of as far as lengths, but doesn't mention 9MM buffers weigh typically weigh in the 5oz range.

There are a couple of companies making spacers for those that want to use carbine buffers in rifle buffer tubes. Not the store's fault the guy building the rifle didn't know what he was doing, though.

The top most buffer is the one from my 6951:

http://s603.photobucket.com/user/gryphon1994/media/20150607_011832_zpsfynyuz9j.jpg.html?sort=3&o=72

It has a spacer off to the far left.

In other places, I have heard of the $1.75 solution...which is 7 quarters stacked in the end of the buffer tube, then the spring, and then the buffer.

Edited by Chills1994

Man, nowadays with the internet and walmart and whatnot, people think they don't have to pay for their own ignorance anymore.

When you are building something that can explode in your face: please have at least some idea of what you are doing, mmmkay?

I put an AR-10 spring into my 9mm, and it was like PEW PEW PEW, but when I put a AR-15 spring in it it was like PEW PEW PEW, so I put a spring from a screen door into it and it was so much more PEW PEW PEW. Who wants to buy some PEW PEW PEW? I got lots to sell!

I put an AR-10 spring into my 9mm, and it was like PEW PEW PEW, but when I put a AR-15 spring in it it was like PEW PEW PEW, so I put a spring from a screen door into it and it was so much more PEW PEW PEW. Who wants to buy some PEW PEW PEW? I got lots to sell!

Just don't use pieces of cut-up tshirt as a carbine buffer spacer in lieu of 6 quarters or the correct 9MM buffer. Trust me.

Edited by JoeBoboutfitters

AR-10 springs are actually recommended by some manufacturers for 9mm builds, JP for example. As long is it is the correct size for your buffer tube (Rifle of Carbine), it should be good to go.

I'm going to check with Clandestine, too. Do you still need the super heavy buffer even with the bigger spring?

AR-10 springs are actually recommended by some manufacturers for 9mm builds, JP for example. As long is it is the correct size for your buffer tube (Rifle of Carbine), it should be good to go.

I'm going to check with Clandestine, too. Do you still need the super heavy buffer even with the bigger spring?

Was that the gunsmith that dressed up like a woman and always professed his love for 40S&W 1911s? I may be thinking of the wrong guy.

Ideally you want a LONGER & HEAVIER 9MM buffer. OR, you could get by with a standard carbine buffer & a 9MM spacer/6quarters stacked up in your buffer tube. You may be able to get away with running a standard carbine buffer, but YMMV.

Was that the gunsmith that dressed up like a woman and always professed his love for 40S&W 1911s? I may be thinking of the wrong guy.

Ideally you want a LONGER & HEAVIER 9MM buffer. OR, you could get by with a standard carbine buffer & a 9MM spacer/6quarters stacked up in your buffer tube. You may be able to get away with running a standard carbine buffer, but YMMV.

He's also a big Miltec fan and has a six sided throwing star :lol: