Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Memory stages are hard for me

bigboy69

20 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

That's very true.

I know this first hand.

Absolutely untrue.  We all process information in our own way.  Most of us, if given the time needed (for each individual) could master and shoot a memory stage without difficulty.  This usually requires examination of stages the day before the match, because the 5 minute walk though with other shooters just isn't enough.  

Some shooters are genetically gifted, natural gamers and can see straight though a stage designer's plan on the first walk through.  Some shooters (like me) are cop minded, rule followers who naturally try to stay within the lines.  Gaming, which really means "legal cheating" is not one of our strong points.  

Most ranges I've shot at do NOT approach the difficulty of memorization courses

as some of the courses at Frostproof - an evil presence permeates the atmosphere

in Frostproof    :P

They had a COF that I NEVER figured out - even after an hour    :ph34r:

But, when you finally do figure out a memory COF, it really feels good,

especially if you come out about 15 points higher than normal  (75% vs 60%).    :bow:

New shooter here...what's the difference between a memory stage and a "regular" stage?  Having to do stuff like a mandatory reload at a specific point, or only shoot paper 1x (or 3x), or ???

2 hours ago, dsu96 said:

New shooter here...what's the difference between a memory stage and a "regular" stage?  Having to do stuff like a mandatory reload at a specific point, or only shoot paper 1x (or 3x), or ???

A stage that has vision barriers with targets visible from multiple shooting positions and some targets that are only visible from specific shooting positions is the best way I can describe one.  Very easy to forget a target or shoot one multiple times.

Standing in the start box, you cannot see all the targets ...

You have to remember where they are, and not shoot the same target(s) more than once (or

you'll lose time/ammo).

My one time at the Nat'ls, all COF's had see thru netting so you could see all the targets

all the time.

BUT, some RO's LOVE to hide targets ...   Memory Course.

• 5 months later...

This might help;

Instead of memorizing targets, find positions.

Then decide your priorities and what is important to you; comfort of flow, or efficacy of engagement/movement (sometimes a stage plan can even find that happy median for you).

For me, the answer is rather easy; I'm unmotivated to try hard, so usually go with comfort, even though it may not be the most efficient way to shoot the stage (to some minds), especially if it is a memory stage.
My priority is fun, however.  Some people think fun is  winning.  I think fun is fun.  If I win by executing difficult stage plans, it still might not be fun for me because I didn't feel a nice fluidity in my shooting or what I feel is natural for me.  Yes, I'm weird.  I prioritize fun over winning.  Which is why I'm horrible at USPSA.  
Most of the time I just go and hose and put 2 on paper and as long as I have one in the A, I don't really care.  :D  Don't forget to have fun!  But don't be like me.  I do stupid stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:36 AM, bigboy69 said:

What can I do to overcome this? Brain games?

what works for me is to walk a stage, don't try and get your feet and view perfect, stand back and think about it picture it in your mind, then walk it again then think.  When the shooter in front of you is shooting don't watch that person just think about your plan be ready to go when your time comes.  

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:48 PM, davidb72 said:

That's very true.

I know this first hand.

Ignore all the other people walking around on the stage. They might be right, they might be wrong, you'll confuse yourself trying to figure it out.

Break it down like any other stage, but pay closer attention to what's visible from where. Try to have as few positions and reloads as possible.

If it's a truly confusing memory stage, err on the side of caution. I'd rather be slow and methodical and make sure I get 'em all than fast with a few M's and FTE's.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2017 at 12:44 PM, reverse_edge said:

Ignore all the other people walking around on the stage. They might be right, they might be wrong, you'll confuse yourself trying to figure it out.

Break it down like any other stage, but pay closer attention to what's visible from where. Try to have as few positions and reloads as possible.

If it's a truly confusing memory stage, err on the side of caution. I'd rather be slow and methodical and make sure I get 'em all than fast with a few M's and FTE's.

This is sage advice. 

I'll also add: As soon as you realize it's a "memory stage," (put in quotes because it's situation and person dependent)... walk behind the stage and make sure you know the correct round count and where targets are geographically. It makes it a lot easier to figure out your stage plan from there.

On 3/9/2016 at 6:38 PM, Sarge said:

I can't remember ever liking memory stages. Lol

Not my favorite either. Who thought of these things anyway? Lol! I power through them when I have to, but a mike can really throw things off your plan. I try to build a secondary plan should that or something else happen. Like mentioned earlier, find the shooting positions on the first walk through, track the number of targets/rounds at each spot during the second, look for other options and decide the order of positions after that. If there's still time, find a quiet corner and walk through it in your mind, visualizing the entire stage including reloads.

On 10/12/2017 at 9:32 PM, blueorison said:

My priority is fun, however.  Some people think fun is  winning.  I think fun is fun.  If I win by executing difficult stage plans, it still might not be fun for me because I didn't feel a nice fluidity in my shooting or what I feel is natural for me.  Yes, I'm weird.  I prioritize fun over winning. 

So glad to read that someone else feels that way!

Had a TIA a while back my short term memory is bad, to put it mildly, haven't shot a clean match since.

Still finish fairly well, rarely lower than 10th, the 1-3 missed targets is usually about all the finish spots the cost me. Most of the time it's 1 or 2 places lower.

slow footwork/age costs me more places than missed targets.

Still aggravating .

On 3/9/2016 at 6:29 PM, GrumpyOne said:
On 3/8/2016 at 8:35 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Shooters who have difficulty with memory stages also have difficulty with remembering a stage plan for a normal stage. If you don't put dedicated effort into memorizing the stage plan for every stage then you will always struggle with memory stages. Basically if you are lazy with remembering stage plans the more trouble memory stages will be.

The simple answer is to quit being lazy with your stage planning in general.

This....and don't change your stage plan when you are making ready because you saw someone else do something that you hadn't planned.

+1 on Grumpy's point. I have screwed up many a stage plan trying something someone else did before me. Due to lingering effects of chemo-brain, I too struggle with "memory" stages. My MO is to be very literal and methodical in my movement. Left to right or right to left, clear everything in order. Saving time getting fancy with engagement order doesn't help your score if you have procedural penalties for FTE's.

One of the things that have helped me with memory stages is to start treating all stages like a memory stage. One thing a GM shooter of mine does during make ready is to re-run the entire stage plan from the start position. It's amazing to see the stationary re-run hits all the shooting positions and all the targets. I've started to do this with simpler stages (upping my mental imagery game of a stage design) and it's made memory stages easier to deal with. Practice makes perfect, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Relaxing seems to help a ton. Just being comfortable with shooting. A local club I shoot at is full of pros and it's very technical stuff, tight quarters usually, and memory stages. Last year I had a helluva time remembering, but this year I had to ask the match director if someone new was setting up stages or if I was just getting better. I talked to a buddy of mine, incredible shooter, great dude, asked him how was I supposed to remember everything? Granted a lot came down to being able to develop a stage plan and not just running around shooting everything I saw (although sometimes I still do that, just have to remember where to look), but he said it would eventually just come to me. It did. Not really sure how, and I've improved over the past year, but I think with that came increased confidence and the ability to chill out and trust myself. Then I relaxed, less tension meant more concentration and focus. With that comes better stage plans and better memory. I still mess up here and there, but it's almost always engaging a target twice, and only usually once a match.