Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two optic questions - Vortex Strikefire 2 specifically

ruffinit

I am using my AR in close quarters matches locally. I started out with the Bushnell 1xMP (cost issues at the time) and have found that the T-dot reticle is too "busy" for my eye shooting on the clock. My decision, after much research, is to go to the Vortex Strikefire 2.

My first question is have any of you used the red dot only model? I was leaning in that direction as I have never found the situation where the green reticle on my Bushnell looked like the way to go and I couldn't see a need for it on the Vortex. The longer battery life and brighter options sound positive to me, but I haven't been able to compare the two (red/green and red only) side by side to see if that holds up in actual use. I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Secondly, for any of you that use red dot optics on your competition ARs, what range are you zeroing them to? I had my Bushnell dialed in for 100 yards and had to aim low in the CQ matches. The matches I shoot aren't scored by zone, just hit/miss, so exact precision isn't really the issue. My concern is that my rifle is set up for competition as well as defense and I don't want to hamstring myself for either use.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Ruffy

50yd zero IMO. You'll hit within offset of the optic anywhere closer than 50yds, which means typically within 2.5" of POA. So, on headshots, aim top edge of target to drop it right in the head at close ranges (0-25yds). For full target presentations (0-100yds), just put the dot center mass.

For smaller targets if they have them out at 100yds, just put the dot a couple inches lower than you want to hit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk