Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics advice. CZ or Glock?

librarian45

So I'm going to start shooting CO and am debating between a glock and (now that the weight limits are raised) a CZ shadow.

I carry a glock 19 w. a RMR daily and I compete in limited with a g35.

Am I giving up anything by staying glock or is the weight/ergo of the shadow enough to validate using it?

I have a shadow and getting the slide milled seems like heresy, but those springer type mounts are just too high.

If I do go glock I've got a g17 and g35 who are both candidates.

I assume the longer sight radius is irrelevant so I should go w/ the 17?

Lastly, am i better of sending it out to get milled or should I just buy a MOS gun?

thanks!

So, I've spent some time in the same boat you're in currently. I picked up a gen 4 glock 34 when I started shooting USPSA because I deployed with glocks regularly and I wanted to stay proficient with the platform. Since then, I've caught my eyes wandering every once in a while towards a CZ or a Tanfoglio or some other new hotness. I keep going back to the glock though. For me, it's about time invested and consistency with platforms across work and play. I recently picked up a Glock 34 MOS and I shot it in my first match this last weekend and I was utterly blown away. I shot production on the first day and I came back the second and shot Carry optics with my MOS set up exactly the same (minus the red dot, of course) and I demolished some of my times that I had put up with a rig that I am VERY familiar with. I was shocked. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I feel like the consistency across divisions outweighs the practical benefits of the heavier CZ as nice as it would be to have one of my own. Also, when I'm shooting production, I have a backup pistol if something were to go catastrophically wrong with my primary production rig. Of course, this is my own opinion and thought process and I'm sure there's plenty to find at fault with it. Good luck with your decision.

I'd worry more about finding an optic that will stand up to the rigors of the division. With your experience competing with and carrying Glocks you should probably stick with the Glock.

Of course, if you have the itch for a different platform go ahead and scratch it. With the popularity of the CZs currently you won't have a problem getting most of your money back if you decide you don't like it.

Pride of Ownership.

When we had the weight limit in CO I was shooting a P-09, now I am back to my Shadow. I know I am an oddball, but I did not care much about my P-09, I have pride of ownership in my Shadow. P-09 (plastic) is a tool, Shadow is a gun to admire, the feel in your hand etc...

Yep, I'm weird

I waited until they changed the weight limit before I started my build. I wanted a metal gun to compete in CO. I'm currently waiting on Cajun Gun Works to finish my SP01.

I'll chime in from the Glock side :).

I've shot two CO matches so far. The first on I shot with my production G17 with the Burris FF3 mounted in the dovetail mount. For my second match I shot it with a 17 MOS. The difference is height of the optic had zero impact for me. Given that you shoot Glocks now I would stick with that. I use the G17 for production, Carry Optics and an Open Glock I use for steel challenge.

Edited by ZackJones

I would say if you carry a g19 with optic and already shoot a g35 in limited then a glock model in CO would be the natural choice. And that's coming from a CZ convert.. Like you'll hear from most people, the gun won't make the shooter. If you like shooting a glock and are confident with it that will likely be the best way to go, same with CZ or Tanfo. Now if you were currently shooting a hi-point then I would probably say yea a new gun will make a BIG difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a JPoint with the JPoint adaptor on my G34 and it seems to me to point pretty close without milling the slide. It has a notch in the JPoint that the FS sits in and the POI is about 8" high and of course where the Dot is. Might give you some frame of reference on how it sits. Not as good a an MOS, but cheaper than buying a new blaster or milling the slide.

Another note you don't have to fit a box, can increase the weight so you can add some heavy base pads to the mags and get the weight up.

I started shooting CO three matches ago. I think you cant go wrong with anything with a slide cut from factory. But you have a Glock 19 with RMR so just use that and see if you like shooting with only a few shooters in CO. I usually see 1-3 CO shooters. Yesterday I was the only one.

Lastly, am i better of sending it out to get milled or should I just buy a MOS gun?

I chose to buy an aftermarket Glock slide and sent it for a milling job. My local club allows shooting multiple guns on the classifier stage. I can shoot Prod or CO for that day and shoot both Prod and CO for a classifier by simply swapping the top. A completed Glock slide top (w/o barrel and guide rod) costs about $300.

But you have a Glock 19 with RMR so just use that and see if you like shooting with only a few shooters in CO. I usually see 1-3 CO shooters. Yesterday I was the only one.

This is the only thing that I'm not looking forward to when I make the switch. Production is really popular in my area so it's great to be able to compare myself to 15-25 shooters each match.

But you have a Glock 19 with RMR so just use that and see if you like shooting with only a few shooters in CO. I usually see 1-3 CO shooters. Yesterday I was the only one.

This is the only thing that I'm not looking forward to when I make the switch. Production is really popular in my area so it's great to be able to compare myself to 15-25 shooters each match.

I think you will find you can still compare your scores, I doubt you will make a dramatic jump with the dot.

Well there were 6 in CO at the Area II, out of 400 plus shooters. TGO shot CO to promote it, but of course it was a Springfield... I don't get the big deal about the Glock MOS anyway, it's hardly lower than my Trijicon Red dots on a standard gun with adapter plate.

Edited by 9x45

I think you will find you can still compare your scores, I doubt you will make a dramatic jump with the dot.

Oh, I know. It'll just require...work...to compare scores instead of simply comparing to production shooters by using Practiscore's drop down menus. :-)

Edited by AEuropa

Oh, I know. It'll just require...work...to compare scores instead of simply comparing to production shooters by using Practiscore's drop down menus. :-)

At the top of the page you can click on the "old style" and you will see combined results

if i carried a glock, I would want to compete with a glock. nils and that other dude showed that a glock is not a competitive disadvantage.

otoh, if I carried a cz (which I do), I would want to compete with a cz........ except that SS is mo betta.