Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistols you can shoot in any sport?

There are a number of them but a Glock 34 would certainly fit; It would work for 3 gun, Production in USPSA ( or Limited minor ) and SSP ( or ESP if you mod the heck out if it ) in IDPA.

That's exactly what I was looking for, just a list of pistols that would work in all 3

Thanks

Can shoot in all the games is probably the wrong question. You CAN shoot just about anything without an optic in all three games. I think you are looking for a list of guns that will be competitive in the three different games in one of the popular divisions in each game.

So assuming multi gun TO, IDPA SSP, and USPSA Production you probably want something like a G34 (or 17) or Smith M+P if you like striker fired guns or a CZ 75 (or variant) or P09 , a Tanfoglio limited pro if you prefer traditional DA pistols.

The Springfield XDm will work for all the but you will end up in ESP

All the above would be 9mm

You can also have a ton of fun shooting a 9mm 2011 in all three games in TO, limited(shooting minor), and ESP you just need to get one with a short dust cover so it's IDPA legal

Edited by bikerburgess

Can shoot in all the games is probably the wrong question. You CAN shoot just about anything without an optic in all three games. I think you are looking for a list of guns that will be competitive in the three different games in one of the popular divisions in each game.

You're right, that's a much better way to put it...

And what is TO?

OP, you can shoot almost any handgun you can think of. The question is what division do you want to shoot in? USPSA for example, Open, Limited, Limited 10, Production, Single Stack, Carry Optics, and even Revolver. There is way, way more going on in any competition than just the gun. Best thing you can do is jump into a match nearest you, with what you have, and see how things work.

OP, what do most shooters run for USPSA? From this months Front Sight, the equipment survey from the Nationals.

Limited: 60% STI, 10% SV, Glock 8%....

Limited 10: STI 48%, Glock 9%, CZ 8% SV 8%, Springfield 6%

Open: STI 72%, SV 12%, Phoenix 9%, CZ 2%

So you can see that STI pretty much rules these divisions, but they start at 4 times as much as a Glock, and go from there for Open.

I'll find the stats for Production and Single Stack somewhere, but generally speaking Production is pretty much Glocks and CZs, and Single Stack can only be 1911 John Moses Browning designs, 9mm, 40S&W or .45acp

You need to decide what division you want to shoot... in the sport you favor:

I expanded from IDPA's Stock Service Pistol (SSP) where the Glock 17/34 and the M&P 9mm / Pro are very competitive... to USPSA Production... and now I'm looking to dabble in 3-gun in a place where those types of firearms aren't a limitation.

If you are primarily attracted to 3-gun, then find a division you want to compete in and we can suggest divisions in USPSA and IDPA where your gun will fit well. Or vice versa if USPSA is your primary lust.

Best suggestion is to go to a match or two before you buy anything and see which guns are running competitively without causing their owners headaches. If you find people with a rifle just like yours are all shooting with a Glock on their hip in 3-gun, then outfit yourself like them after you have a talk with them. If you talk with a shooter for more than ten minutes you WILL get an offer to shoot their gun. Promise. ;)

Oh, and see what divisions your locals shoot: you can often find their scoresheets on the local websites. For example, most of my local USPSA shooters are in Open and Limited. I'm one of the oddball Production guys, and I don't mind that. If I were new however, I'd probably have the most fun in Limited or Open (assuming the new guy has the budget for Open!)... In other parts of the country they have dozens of Production shooters and just a few in Open.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I've always though the Tanfoglio Limited pro, would make a pretty spectacular all around gun. 23 rd mags and a mag well for 3gun, take it off and use regular mags for production, and the short dust cover allows you to shot IDPA. (ESP I think...) Some guns would leave you at a dis advantage for some comps, but I cant see this combo holding you back in any!

STI Eagle in 40. Minor PF for IDPA ESP and 3gun. Major PF for USPSA Limited.

+1 Seems like a good option to me, too.

Get em while you can.

You will loose out on 3-4 rds of capacity for 3 gun though vs 9mm...

Edited by EngineerEli

STI Eagle in 40. Minor PF for IDPA ESP and 3gun. Major PF for USPSA Limited.

+1 Seems like a good option to me, too.

Get em while you can.

You will loose out on 3-4 rds of capacity for 3 gun though vs 9mm...

I carry an extra mag. If I run dry I probably did something horribly wrong.

We have offered up some decent options.

I have heard it said, "fear the man with one gun."

It is just too damn tempting to build up a quiver of options. Perfection is only the next gun away. :devil:

We have offered up some decent options.

I have heard it said, "fear the man with one gun."

It is just too damn tempting to build up a quiver of options. Perfection is only the next gun away. :devil:

My wife has successfully used that saying to remind me that what I really need is ammo for practice, my current small arsenal is more than up to the task of carrying me to a podium finish.

Ive been running a glock 34 for 3 gun and USPSA Limited minor. Granted I favor 3 gun and consider USPSA as 3gun pistol training but Im starting to come around to USPSA a little more as there are more matches in my area. Ill be looking for an STI in .40 soon...

1911 or 2011 with short dust cover and a bushing barrel (Most 1911s; STI Marauder, STI Eagle w/ bushing, or custom 2011)

CZ75 platform - lots of options (I like the CZ75 SA, or the 75 Shadow DA/SA) but you sacrifice capacity especially in .40, or points in 9mm, and sacrifice a little sight radius and barrel length to the 1911 guns.

-If I was starting out I'd choose the Marauder - balances great in the hand, has a light rail for 3-gun in the dark, but 9mm sacrifices points in USPSA.

-If I had some experience, was reloading, and cared about points I'd go with the Eagle in .40 with a bushing barrel, but no light rail and sacrifices capacity in 3-gun

-Being hooked on shooting sports, I'd get a full custom 2011 in .40 and 9mm with a short tac-rail dust cover and a bushing barrel (this is what I personally would do today)

Edited by StraightSh00ter

• 1 month later...

I've always though the Tanfoglio Limited pro, would make a pretty spectacular all around gun. 23 rd mags and a mag well for 3gun, take it off and use regular mags for production, and the short dust cover allows you to shot IDPA. (ESP I think...) Some guns would leave you at a dis advantage for some comps, but I cant see this combo holding you back in any!

SSP and/or ESP.