Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

waterproof targets and 'stick when wet' tape

motosapiens

So guys from norway say they don't bag targets in the rain, they use coated targets that repel water and tape that sticks to them even in the rain. Why can't we do the same thing and make america great again? Is there a source for this stuff in america?

I don't mind shooting in the rain, but I HATE resetting in the rain because nothing actually works.

You could try this..http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-NeverWet-18-oz-NeverWet-Multi-Purpose-Spray-Kit-274232/204216476. If you cut up gorilla tape into squares, it should stick even to a damp surface. You could also give the treated target a quick wipe before taping. I never tried this, but just food for thought.

where these "Norway shooters" posting on the Internet or did you just happen to be there and see it ....? Far be it for me to suggest that something from the Internet could be less than accurate?

where these "Norway shooters" posting on the Internet or did you just happen to be there and see it ....? Far be it for me to suggest that something from the Internet could be less than accurate?

good point, I took the word of a norwegian shooter. He could be trolling us for fun. We need to corroborate this report.

I agree dry clean bags present a VERY different accuracy challenge vs the no rain days, Slow stage reset at least 200% slower and people get free hits and screwed outta hits.

There was a guy that tested all kinds of poly..varnish..paint and came up with a great way. used regular pastors and he could hit target with garden hose. Pretty sure he wrote a FS article but EVERYBODY ignored him cause he was an Horses Azz

This exists: http://www.professionalplastics.com/COROPLASTSHEETwhich is basically plastic corrugate. I bet the current targets are die-cut using a (cheap) steel rule die (SRD). The converter would just need to use the coroplast. I don't know if the SRD would need to be redesigned or not, maybe different ejection rubber.

i would guess that pasters are processed on a rotatry machine with a kiss-cut die. A more aggressive adhesive might be needed to stick in the rain. But current designs might work well enough with the non absorbent stuff I linked to above.

This exists: http://www.professionalplastics.com/COROPLASTSHEETwhich is basically plastic corrugate. I bet the current targets are die-cut using a (cheap) steel rule die (SRD). The converter would just need to use the coroplast. I don't know if the SRD would need to be redesigned or not, maybe different ejection rubber.

i would guess that pasters are processed on a rotatry machine with a kiss-cut die. A more aggressive adhesive might be needed to stick in the rain. But current designs might work well enough with the non absorbent stuff I linked to above.

That's smart. I have a bunch of that at work, I will try getting it wet and then sticking tape to it haha. I didn't see it on that website, but do they offer it in brown? Wouldn't USPSA rules pretty much dictate that they have to be brown?

::ETA:: I found the rule: 4.1.2.1 The scoring area of scoring paper targets must be of a typical

cardboard color.

Edited by Gooldylocks

That was the first link I pasted, but I'm sure that some shade of brown is available.

Zebra targets may prove difficult, maybe that's black cut outs attached over top of brown. Or visa versa.

I'm sure someone could start a small business doing this for matches...

That was the first link I pasted, but I'm sure that some shade of brown is available.

Zebra targets may prove difficult, maybe that's black cut outs attached over top of brown. Or visa versa.

I'm sure someone could start a small business doing this for matches...

Yea they do make brown. The gold looks to my eye to be closer to cardboard color, but either way. I am surprised at how expensive it is though

Rain on match day is a constant problem for us and we sometimes shooting in pouring rain. We use clear bags, "waterproofed" (sprayed with urethane) targets, BBQ skewers inserted through the corrugations to prevent the target from sagging, sticks stapled onto the back of the "head/neck" and/or taping the top edge to keep the water out of the corrugations and they all work to a degree.

The paster with the best sticking power in wet conditions is the kraft paper pasters from Alco Targets http://www.alcotarget.com/tape-and-pasters-alco-target/tm-1-kraft.html. They stick better than any other paster we've tried and does not melt like the thin square pasters from other sources.

good point, I took the word of a norwegian shooter. He could be trolling us for fun. We need to corroborate this report.

It would appear a '1st person' report is in order to verify this Internet claim. I volunteer to go .. I will send a 'request for funds' to our new Pres and provide a complete report with pics, in triplicate for the next issue of Font Sight ...

First person report here. Every year I hit Norway 2 or 3 times for matches and have shot the waterproof targets many times. The first year I went, 2010, they had two displayed at the entrance to the Kongsvinger range, one shot to shit the other virgin. Both had been up for 3 weeks and had seen rain, snow, wind, hail and lots of sun. Both looked nearly new. The shot target had some patched holes on it and the tape was still there. Initially the tape was a bit too see through, but the new tape they use is much more opaque. The targets don't cost much more than normal ones and are thinner than what I'm used to here in BC. We use a type of corrugated cardboard, and the Norway targets are more of a pressed cardboard. The tape sticks in the rain and sticks to other tape on the targets. Basically they are made from fish packaging cardboard and the tape comes from the same industry. Best targets every made in my opinion. Eric G also sells a similar target, but it's more money. I brought back a nice pile of them a few years ago, full size and mini, in the hopes of finding a similar product here, but my IPSC section was all "meh" about it. Apparently replacing targets numerous times during a match is more cost effective than using a slightly more expensive one that lasts pretty much until it's completely shot to pieces, regardless of weather.

ihd4KM3.jpg

BOBejSg.jpg

yeah sorry, ipsc only as far as I know, but if one could source the material no reason it couldn't be done in Metric targets (god I hate that name for the USPSA target, it should be the classic target)

I'm going to assume that since this was IPSC they didn't have any metric targets? If true, these Tragets won't help us much here in the US even though they look pretty cool

The classic target is a legal one in our rule book. Can always just populate more of our stages with these types in the wet months.

Of course it is ... But we hardly ever see them so I wouldn't expect them to start showing up to address a problem that doesn't occur that often ... Realistically, how often are matches shot in the rain? Since starting this sport in 2012 and shooting matches every month since I have only had to shoot a match in the rain twice ...

Edited by Nimitz

Of course it is ... But we hardly ever see them so I wouldn't expect them to start showing up to address a problem that doesn't occur that often ... Realistically, how often are matches shot in the rain? Since starting this sport in 2012 and shooting matches every month since I have only had to shoot a match in the rain twice ...

You are either out of your mind ,or don't go on rainy days. I have shot at least 5 majors in weather I hope never to see again while going to have some fun....

Especially in Florida I've been to at least 5 majors where it's a torrential downpour one day while being beautiful the next. And I started in 13 but have ROed a few of the big matches in the area.