Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady bullet feeder die

I've seen the Dillon video on the Hornady bullet feeder die system on a 650XL and it looks very workable. But it isn't not supposed to be used w/ cast lead bullets. Who is going to come up with a workable solution to using this die for cast bullets?

One of the reviews, on Midway, said he tried it w/'cast bullets and it didn't work.

Come on, I know there's a Mensa member out there somewhere! Get cracking!

Howard

Well, let's see, Hornady bullet feeder die, $27, MBF feeder die, $95. Hmmmm, 4 caliber's with Hornady, $108, 4 calibers with MBF $380.

I have succesfully loaded lead bullets with Hornady bullet dies. But; I was loadning tumble lubed, no lube groove, rather than cast with a lubed, lube groove.

Jim:

I found the MBF feeder die on their site, but it was more than that.

I also found the RCBS feeder die, which claims to work w/all bullet types. Most customer reviews were good+; one guy had trouble with lead. This was not on their site but on Midway's. RCBS doesn't have any reference to feeder dies.

Somebody will find the answer, and I bet sooner than later.

Howard

Don't know about cast lead but I was able to get mine (Hornady dies) to work great with coated lead.

You have to remove a little material from inside of the collet an also spread the fingers carefully - it is very easy to snap one off if you're not careful.

FYI - I run 9's and 45' from the Blue Bullets in mine.

Edited by techj

I've searched the net and there are videos on how to make them work with cast bullets. In the case of the .45 ACP's, it seems that the problem is with the usual .452" diam., as opposed to a jacketed diam.of .451". It would appear that a little bit of careful Dremel work on the collets will solve the problem. I would think/hope that they would make a suitable set of collets. There are a lot of .45 shooters using cast bullets.

Also, I use Rooster Jacket to tumble lube and I imagine that would help eliminate the problem of greasy lube making things sticky.

The Mr. Bullet die uses 3 balls and would seem like a good way to go as well.

Howard

PS: Rooster Jacket is GREAT stuff and Midway has it available. JMHO.

Actually the $95 includes drop tube etc. just the die and dropper insert is about $30. To change calibre you remove the pin and change 3 balls. Each set costs a few bucks.

Thanks, BB, was not aware of that.

Having said that, I would not want to move my bullet die every time I changed calibers. I would more likely get a die for each tool head.

I did this with the Hornady, same die for 9MM and .380. One for each tool head.

Actually the $95 includes drop tube etc. just the die and dropper insert is about $30. To change calibre you remove the pin and change 3 balls. Each set costs a few bucks.

Thanks, BB, was not aware of that.

Having said that, I would not want to move my bullet die every time I changed calibers. I would more likely get a die for each tool head.

I did this with the Hornady, same die for 9MM and .380. One for each tool head.

No prob. The die is $36 from daa. Very easy to change cals. You can also buy just the outer die body for $12. Then you can leave it setup in each cal and just move the inner and the balls.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/mr-bulletfeeder-die-assembly

http://www.doublealpha.biz/mr-bulletfeeder-dropper-die-threaded-body

For $107 you get the 6 tube fed version. Die, 6 tube magazine and their powder funnel. Considering the powder funnel alone is $30 it's about $80 for die and tube feed system. Not too bad.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/mini-mr-bulletfeeder

With the mr bullet feeder die from DAA you need a different die for each calliber it is not just change the balls .

The diameter of the inner die is different for example you can not use the same inner die for .38 cal and .40 .