Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA with the 454 Casull

Alaskan454

You brought up a few good points. I might have better hearing protection than some people as magnum handguns don't bother me at all. Even .45 and .475 at 50k psi aren't uncomfortable to shoot or stand near. High powered rifles will catch me by surprise though, I use plugs and muffs on the rifle bays. I talked with our MD last year and he was fine with a 454 snubbie, I shoot with the same group of guys and none of them seemed to care but I will be sure to ask beforehand. If anyone isn't cool 454 I'll have some 45 +P in my range bag, it's only loaded to 30k psi and if that bothers anyone's hearing they are standing too close to the shooter, several 9mm loads run into the 30s to make minor. As for steel I'm running these at around 1300 fps and all of our steel is rated for 1,400 fps or more. I've checked these loads in the past to make sure they won't cause any damage as well. I only shoot paper at matches so I make sure all of my ammo is safe for our targets at the range, steel is expensive and I won't be the reason we spend our club money replacing or repairing it. One thing I'll need to look into is the black powder idea, that would be A LOT of fun but I've never loaded it myself.

I don't really believe this, I shoot a fair amount of 454 and I use the same howard leight earmufs I use for uspsa. I find the 38supers from open guns to still be louder/sharper than the 454. None of it is causing hearing damage through the muffs.

Maybe if your hunting buddies didn't have any ear protection but ear and eye protection are required at any match I have been to in the past 10 years.

Someone could end up with hearing damage from insufficient ear plugs.

Maybe you don't shoot in any kind of confined space. Buses, shoot houses, covered positions,etc. I have RO'd AR's and .38 supercomps in all those places. Maybe you are right, but I definitely think the idea should be announced ahead of time. Especially since it's idpa and folks are expecting mouse fart loads. I'd double plug if I were going to run a boomer on the clock. I'm not as brave as you are apparently and as I age there is less and less that I don't protect my hearing while doing. If it were a surprise to me as an RO, I'd stop the shooter on suspicion of unsafe ammunition and let someone else run him for his reshoot later.

The .460 is an awesome, by the original definition, cartridge in that you can see the shockwave. I have had occasion to fire a .454 without plugs one time. I missed the deer I was shooting at and had the correction information right there, but it physically hurt enough that I let the deer go.

Match was a lot of fun today, 400 PF loads were actually pretty pleasant with a Hogue tamer grip. None of the shooters in my squad had any issue with the 454 and there was no issue with pasters blowing off. I had so much fun I think I'll do it again next match. I was about 45% slower in overall time, no surprise there! The best part is one guy I normally shoot really similar times with ran a 41 Mag BUG revolver today and we finished right next to each other in total time. I have a new respect for all of you speedloader guys, I spent a lot of time reloading compared to the moonclips.

I have a .45 Colt Redhawk and I can load 265s at over 1400 from it. The Casull would have to be unbearable.

I was thinking about getting it machined for moons. I could still load it all ridiculous, but I would also be able to shoot .45 ACP in it and if I really did want to shoot a match with it, I could.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have a holster for it that meets the USPSA rules because when I do carry it, I carry it in a DOH type holster so it doesn't interfere with whatever's on my back.

I have a .45 Colt Redhawk and I can load 265s at over 1400 from it. The Casull would have to be unbearable.

I was thinking about getting it machined for moons. I could still load it all ridiculous, but I would also be able to shoot .45 ACP in it and if I really did want to shoot a match with it, I could.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have a holster for it that meets the USPSA rules because when I do carry it, I carry it in a DOH type holster so it doesn't interfere with whatever's on my back.

I sent my Redhawk out for a moonclip conversion about one year ago and have been very happy with it. I much prefer moonclips to speedloaders and the added versatility with ACP is nice. I always bring mine as a backup for the 625 at matches. For what it's worth I feel the Redhawk is far more abusive to shoot with it's metal backstrap, I don't like to do more than 50-60 rounds of the hot stuff in one sitting. If you put those same loads in a Super Redhawk with a cushioned Hogue grip it's night and day.

Edited by Alaskan454

I sent my Redhawk out for a moonclip conversion about one year ago and have been very happy with it. I much prefer moonclips to speedloaders and the added versatility with ACP is nice. I always bring mine as a backup for the 625 at matches. For what it's worth I feel the Redhawk is far more abusive to shoot with it's metal backstrap, I don't like to do more than 50-60 rounds of the hot stuff in one sitting. If you put those same loads in a Super Redhawk with a cushioned Hogue grip it's night and day.

Does getting it cut for moonclips affect the distance between the firing pin and the ammunition when using .45 Colt. I would presume that the Redhawk that was released for 45 ACP & 45 Colt took that into consideration, but having the work done on a "Standard" Redhawk that was chambered in 45 Colt would require a good bit of work?

Blueridge, when you convert a standard Redhawk for moonclips the cylinder is recessed just enough for the moonclip itself and leaves a bit of space for the rim to sit on if you wanted to shoot loose rounds. These are usually turned on a lathe and the process is pretty straightforward. It only requires you send off the cylinder itself, not the whole gun, and I think I paid $85 for mine. Here's an example from Pinnacle's website to show the edge that's left for loose rounds:

http://pinnaclehighperformance.com/

image34.jpg

When you mentioned the new factory 45 ACP/Colt Redhawk there's something else you might want to consider. They are shipping these with a proprietary thickness for the moonclip and last I checked they were the only supplier at $5 a piece. So if you plan to buy a lot of moonclips it's about the same price to convert one to use the standard S&W 625 thickness clips, I got 100 standard ACP clips for $45 for example. Just something to consider.

Edited by Alaskan454

Just finished shooting the 454 Alaskan at an indoor IDPA match! It was crazy! Was using some old promag hubting rounds that liked to stick in the cylinder. Luckly there were baricades to "assist" in my reloads :D

Oh, and a 6 round low light stage I'll try to post video of later.

Blueridge, when you convert a standard Redhawk for moonclips the cylinder is recessed just enough for the moonclip itself and leaves a bit of space for the rim to sit on if you wanted to shoot loose rounds. These are usually turned on a lathe and the process is pretty straightforward. It only requires you send off the cylinder itself, not the whole gun, and I think I paid $85 for mine. Here's an example from Pinnacle's website to show the edge that's left for loose rounds:

http://pinnaclehighperformance.com/

image34.jpg

When you mentioned the new factory 45 ACP/Colt Redhawk there's something else you might want to consider. They are shipping these with a proprietary thickness for the moonclip and last I checked they were the only supplier at $5 a piece. So if you plan to buy a lot of moonclips it's about the same price to convert one to use the standard S&W 625 thickness clips, I got 100 standard ACP clips for $45 for example. Just something to consider.

Good to know :)

• 4 weeks later...

Years ago I started to give pins out for the ".357 and up club" for West Houston IDPA. Shoot a match with full load .357 or up and you got one of my pins. I have done it with .357 and full load .44 Mag but not at what you are shooting. My best was a Sanction IDPA match in North Texas last year shooting Revolver and did the whole match (180+ scored rounds) with full load .44 Mags.

My hats off to you. Let me know when you do it and will send you one of my pins <G> Contact me via my private email: solari@prodigy.net

Garry Newton

Was that Wichita Falls?

I'm in FW and shoot locally, but Cowtown isn't very revolver friendly. One of these days I'll make the trip to Houston for ICORE and IHMSA.

They need some grizzly threats for that cannon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk