Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much practise is too much?

Chris1911

I know we are are all different and there is no definitive answer but I am interested to know opinions about how much practice one can one do over an extended time before the brain simply won't try?

Whats "normal" for best performance? One session per week? Two?, once per month?

Burnout worries.

PS Sorry about the spelling of practice in the heading, should have been a c not an s as I have used practice as a noun. Forum won't allow me to edit it.

Edited by Chris1911

Keep a balance in life. Practice as much as you feel compelled to do. If it starts getting boring or you don't feel like doing it, back off for a while.

For one day of practice, go until you start getting tired or losing focus. If you keep going after that you will develop bad habits. Shooting 100 or 200 rounds highly focused is way better than 400 or 500 rounds just to put ammo downrange.

Keep a balance in life. Practice as much as you feel compelled to do. If it starts getting boring or you don't feel like doing it, back off for a while.

For one day of practice, go until you start getting tired or losing focus. If you keep going after that you will develop bad habits. Shooting 100 or 200 rounds highly focused is way better than 400 or 500 rounds just to put ammo downrange.

+1

Coach Lengyel used to tell us that 'Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.'

People learn better and retain more from short and regular training sessions. The mindset should be to make dry fire and practice perfect, the match is for determining the direction for future training. For motivated competitors I normally recommend a dry fire session of 40 minutes undertaken at least 4 times a week with a live fire session one per week. For everyone else, a review of goals, resources and commitment is needed before jumping in.

Distant Thunder has captured the mantra perfectly.

That might be good after you have been shooting for 30yrs and live on a range. But I always see and feel like I get the most improvements with at least 300 to 400 rounds in a few hours. I shoot with a friend so total is about 600 to 800 rounds in 3 or so hours.

You just need to find what works best for you because we have no right way just what you can do to deliver the most bang for your practice buck. Get that with time and a training log never hurt. Good luck.

Edited by a matt

That might be good after you have been shooting for 30yrs and live on a range. But I always see and feel like I get the most improvements with at least 300 to 400 rounds in a few hours. I shoot with a friend so total is about 600 to 800 rounds in 3 or so hours.

You just need to find what works best for you because we have no right way just what you can do to deliver the most bang for your practice buck. Get that with time and a training log never hurt. Good luck.

This is a really good point. It depends on the level you're at.

If you're completely new to the match, you'll probably need to put more time into reaching a level than someone experienced maintaining that level.

The way you approach your practice will also have a huge effect on the outcomes. Set clear goals for what you're trying to achieve and track your progress.

As a point of reference, my practice for Bianchi used to consist of a week of intensive shooting (cica 5000 rounds) then the match itself. Although this probably wasn't ideal, it worked for me in that it gave me something to focus on and psychologically, I was prepared and "up for it".

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ok, dont know where I got this, maybe Bashaam, but practice is pretty simple. Think of the following not in terms of practice, but in terms of just doing the activity.

1 time a week,......almost no gain, might even get worse over time.

2 times a week.......very little gain over 1 a week, development very slow.

3 times a week........very good and substantial gain over 2 times a week, optimal for most people.

4 times a week........this gain is not as much as moving from 2 times a week to 3 times a week, but is a big enough gain that some will find this worthwhile, some not.

5 times a week........the additional gains over 4 times a week are so small, we have to question the additional time.

From 5 times and up, we are either ELITE athletes or professionals in our field of endeavor. Of course the gains are there, but they are so small with the additional effort only the most committed professionals practice much more than 4 or 5 times a week. These people are the elites.

Edited to add: This held true for me whether I was making B class, or pushing for Master. 3-4 times a week was optimal. So that was like 2 or 3 practice sessions a week and 1 match.

Hope that helps

Edited by Chris iliff

Approaching Bianchi I shoot at least one event, 4-6 times a week for 2-3 months. I have a range at home, which helps a LOT, as I shoot nearly every day. Once I have achieved near-mastery of an event, I go back and focus predominately on where I'm dropping points. For me lately it's been left side barricade at the long-line (POI shift), tossing an 8 or two at 10 yards weak hand, and for some reason I keep tossing an 8 or two at 25 on Practical. So I'll then shoot that COF over and over until I figure out a technique that consistently works.

It's not just shooting. Practicing drawstroke, dry firing, etc is a constant process, every day nearly.