Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thought experiment: G22 in Limited?

Trebor Snave

Ok, here goes. I shoot a G17 in production and would like to occasionally compete in Limited. I understand that I could just upload my mags and shoot the 17, but I don't want to go minor (read: excuse to buy a new gun!). So I've been looking at all the LE trade in G22's on the market right now and wondering.

Gen3 G22 with 3 mags: $329 + $30 shipping + $10 FFL fees = $370

Dawson sights and magwell: $200

Taylor Freelance +5 basepads: $108

Unless my math is bad, that's $678, add in some for shipping and you're right at $700 for a basic Limited setup. Do a polish job on the internals, stipple/undercut as wanted. Use my production holster and mag pouches, heck just put the belt on and go play.

I know someone out there's been down this road before; anything I'm missing? An extended mag release would be necessary, but those are cheap. Any other unforeseen issues? Stories? Negative waves?

That's the route I took years ago. Started with a Glock 23 in production and then Glock 22 in Limited. I'd like to pick up a Gen 4 22 sometime this year but it'll be while as I just picked up a Gen 4 17 MOS to shoot Carry Optics with.

• 2 months later...

So I decided to put my money where my mouth is and just won a gen3 g22 LE trade-in at Gunbroker for under $300. Already has an extended slide release and mag release, and came with three magazines. Some judicious perusing of the classifieds found a G24-length barrel (I am going to put a Taylor Freelance sight block on it) for a good price. Should be an interesting project.

Ain't no "later" about it. As soon as I have the dough saved up Taylor Freelance will be providing a barrel, sight block, +5 baseplates and a magell unless I can find some used gear on the classifieds. I already have a decent set of fiber optic sights in my parts bin so that's covered. The whole rig should fit on my production setup so I won't need a holster or mag pouches right away.

I already had a threaded g22 barrel so bought a Taylor Freelance shortened sight block. I have been shooting it a little and it handles just fine. It is a hair longer than a g35. It is fun, I think I will upgrade to the g35 barrel and sight block. The only reason I won't run a frame weight is the holster. I already own like 5 glock holsters.

Edited by dogtired

I have looked into a G22 trade in as well. Under $300 is a good buy. I'm just waiting on A SJC frame weight to pop up on classifieds. I'm running a glock 24 barrel in my 35 so I won't have to modify my CR speed holster. I'm wanting the weight pretty bad.

My only problem with a G22 is the recoil is pretty harsh with major power factor ammo. Or at least with Factory ammo it is.....Of course I'm used to and partial to 9mm Glocks....

this, G22 is real snappy. Especially if you normally shoot 9mm

OP....your logic is on the right path...good entry into Limited. G22 is snappy as others stated...BUT, add a Tungsten guide rod and "Seattle Slug" to add weight to the package and it'll dampen the recoil enough....

I went a different route with a Glock 22. I found 4 friends willing to buy one too so we could all get a cut rate for going 5+ from summit and have them mailed to the same shop. They were $289 each (plus receiving fee of $40). I then sold the complete Glock 22 upper for $225, bout a stripped lonewolf glock 24 slide for $174 and a LW barrel for $89. The internal parts to finish put the top end were about $50 from Glock and I already had an extra set of Dawson sights on hand.

Not too much money out for a ghetto glock 24 knockoff, which is pretty much my only option as we can't get them in CA.

Do it. You will gain skill and experience. Summit Gunbroker is an excellent source. You can also buy more magazines at your option after commiting to buy the gun, and at a very low price. Summit Gunbroker is exceptional.

I went a different route with a Glock 22. I found 4 friends willing to buy one too so we could all get a cut rate for going 5+ from summit and have them mailed to the same shop. They were $289 each (plus receiving fee of $40). I then sold the complete Glock 22 upper for $225, bout a stripped lonewolf glock 24 slide for $174 and a LW barrel for $89. The internal parts to finish put the top end were about $50 from Glock and I already had an extra set of Dawson sights on hand.

Not too much money out for a ghetto glock 24 knockoff, which is pretty much my only option as we can't get them in CA.

How was the quality on the lonewolf glock 24 side? Does it run 100%?

I have a police trade-in Glock 22 here gathering dust ...

I've run about 1500 rounds so far through the lonewolf top end with no issues. Factory UMC 165 grain TMJ. To be honest though I own a 34 I use in production and am thinking the 35 top end woulda been just as good. I used all glock internals not lone wolf.

Just put a TTI 3.25# kit in but haven't shot it yet. Got a match on the 22nd.

I started in Limited with a basic G35. Same as the G22, but with ~3/4 inch more barrel/sight length. So...not really any different.

I also used to shoot it (when I started) with 190pf ammo. So...not sure what this snappiness is that has been mentioned. ;)

Seriously, after learning recoil control, I would get accused of using minor ammo fairly often.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...