Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most versatile caliber?

Hawkster

I am trying to decide on the caliber to shoot steel, ipsc and idpa events. Basically I wish to stream line my reloading from multiple calibers to maybe a couple.  Also if in anyone could recomend a good progessive reloader.

Hawkster

If you want to shoot MAJOR power factor in USPSA then you will need a 40 or 45.

What kind of gun do you prefer?  (Glock, 1911,...?)

The 40 can be downloaded for to a lower power factor for those wimpy Steel and IDPA matches.    It is a little bit cheaper to reload for than a 45.

Really, though, you could go many different ways.  Kinda depends on your tastes and what you have available to shoot.  You could even go the 9mm route and shoot in the Production class for USPSA (with the right gun).

(Edited by Flexmoney at 4:03 pm on Mar. 20, 2002)

I have always been partial to the .45 after all it is the true man's gun

I started out with one and most likely will always shoot one, cause it's the one I can play with on the weekends and go to work with Monday through Friday!  

Next in line would be .40 then 10MM and last the lowly 9MM.  

Just one mans opinion.

Thanx to for the replies.    Currently I shoot the 1911 in .45 acp. I was lucky to meet a 1911 guru once who showed me the path.  

My goal is to try to get a culb here in Maine to hold USPSA and maybe steel matches.  Being a newbie to this action sport doesn't help matters.  

Feed me thy knowledge..

Hawkster    

Hawkster,

That makes it real easy.  Shoot your 1911 in 45.  Take the money you save from NOT buying a new gun and get your butt into a Dillon press as soon as possible.

Our host sells the Dillon line of reloading equipment.  Don't wait another day.  

Ron, life is simplier shooting the 45.  I think.   It just easier with powders, bullets,accuracy,reliablity and mags.   No its not  the ultimate for steel but you can get buy with it.

My only regret is the brass.   I pay more about 45 dollars for thousand OFB.   But if I stay focused, practice and not get caught up in the equipment race I do well with it at matches.   Keep it simply.  Thats my motto.

Another vote for .45 - you have your choice of L-10 or limited class in USPSA - though its tough to be competitive on some limited stages against .40s starting with 20+ rounds. .45 is also VERY forgiving of reloading mistakes, which is why I chose it to start over the .40. Buy a Dillon 550 and some plated bullets in 200 gr. or less (westcoast makes a Roundnose 200), 4 lbs of Clays or N320, forget about ever cleaning your bore and go shoot a bunch. Welcome to the sport!

It would seem so far I have a real good direction to proceede.  

My thanx to all.

Noe fot the all important choice of gear..

Hawkster

Hawkster

I'm a .45 shooter, and I'll be one for a while.  As far as the cost of brass, I've never paid a cent for brass and I have more than I could shoot all year.  I started saving my brass almost a year before I got into reloading, and I can pick up an extra hundred or so every time I go to the range (and some times many hundreds).  

I'm not going to comment on powder, I may like what I use, but so do most people, and there are many posts on that topic through out the forums.

I have a Lee 1000 that some day I will smash in to very small pieces (soon a 550 should be on my door step in a few days).  Unless you are on a tight budget, or have a borderline masochistic streak don't buy a LEE.  I wish I had listen to the guys in Florida who told me to get a Dillon three years ago.  Mom all ways said I was stubborn.....

My budget is, no holds barred at this time. I just retired and got a nice profit sharing check to play with.  My wallet keeps telling no to join the gun of the week club..

Hawkster

To me it would depend on where your focus is.  If it's USPSA, I'd go with a .40 double stack.  You make major and hold more BBs than a .45.  If IDPA and steel are your focus get a 9mm or .38 Super.   With a no holds barred budget, I would get both!  And a Dillon 1050.

Of course you could simply rely on your .45

Focus, I would say is a shotgun approuch. My intrest is Steel, USPSA.  Perhaps I am just seeing those super balsters and having tunnel vision.  I have a very good idea for my 9x23 open choice, and steel my pick is .38 super.  The more reading I do and posting here on the site is some pushing my thoughts toward USPSA to start with.

Hawkster

Hellllllooo !!:)

The 10mm is the most versitile of the ones mentioned.  It equals the mag capacity of the .40SW, while having better feeding characteristics (long/skinny).  It makes major at only 80% of its max allowable pressure, it has plenty of room for slow powder to drive a comp in open guns and you can easily distinguish between your brass and that puny-weak .40S&W stuff on the ground.  So finding "your" brass is easy.  Stuff lasts forever......