Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm PCC Comp

JAF1680

I am looking at building a 9mm AR for PCC and am trying to find a good comp without buying the wrong one. I have heard that the comps on a 9mm AR are pointless. Hoping to hear for a person who has tried one. I am looking at either of the JP options.

Suppressor :)

I have several suppressors and LOVE them for shooting.

When it comes to shooting matches tho, make sure the RO takes you to dinner before the match, because he will be uncomfortably close to you in order to get the shots to register on the timer. I considered therapy after the last time I shot with a silencer on the gun the last time at a match.

Two ways this could play out for me. If there is a "barrel length" limit, I'm going to run the suppressor with my Production loads. they should still be supersonic (115gr/1150fps) and should create just enough noise to be picked up by a good timer.

2. I use a suppressor for classifiers :P

Suppressor :)

I have several suppressors and LOVE them for shooting.

When it comes to shooting matches tho, make sure the RO takes you to dinner before the match, because he will be uncomfortably close to you in order to get the shots to register on the timer. I considered therapy after the last time I shot with a silencer on the gun the last time at a match.

Not to mention a thousand bucks more than most comps!

I shot my 9mm equipped with a form 1 can at a match this weekend and the timer did prove to be a challenge. On stages with tighter bays or walls it picked up shots, but on a couple of wide open courses it couldn't pick up the shots. Could use supersonic ammo, but no point in using the can then.

I'm going to put together a barrel with a pinned/welded brake combo for shooting matches to eliminate that issue.

Edited by mscott

Not to mention.......most who have the silencers to use, had them before the PCC or want them regardless. Very few intelligent people are going to buy a pistol silencer and wait 3-9 months for a Form 4 to come back with an approval so that they can have a slightly better 9mm comp.

• 2 weeks later...

You just need to train the RO better. Shooters have been running suppressors at subgun matches for years with no issues.

Keep in mind, the timer really only needs to pick up the last round fired. The RO usually knows about when / where this is going to take place. When the shooter is nearly done with the stage, they just need to get the timer close to the ejection port. Some ROs will even try to position so the brass hits the timer as it ejects, as that will usually register.

I find a silencer usually helps with recoil on a PCC or subgun, and does a better job than a traditional comp. However, it may just be the added length & weight at the end of the barrel doing most of the recoil reduction. And then there is the added length & weight you have to deal with when negotiating the stage. So like everything else, it's a trade-off.

Of course this is all moot, now that the PCC rules have been posted at the USPSA website (http://uspsa.org/document_library/2016/PCC%20Appendix%20for%20USPSA_D8_DNROI_posting3116.pdf), and they specifically disallow silencers. I'd be curious as to their reasoning.

You have been looking at some seriously expensive 9mm cans thats for sure...

What are they about $500? Then the stamp cost for cutting to SBR and the comp? Then having the cut and threading done?

What are they about $500? Then the stamp cost for cutting to SBR and the comp? Then having the cut and threading done?

Most people wouldn't buy a 16" barrel to cut to SBR length and then thread it. There are numerous 8.5-10.5" barrels out there for $100-$200 (that are already threaded) if someone wants a shorter barrel.

Most people wouldn't buy a 16" barrel to cut to SBR length and then thread it. There are numerous 8.5-10.5" barrels out there for $100-$200 (that are already threaded) if someone wants a shorter barrel.

Unless you already gave the gun in stock configuration.:)