Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help fixing arm shaking problem

taco2000

Guys, I need some advices on how to solve the arm shaking problem. My friends always tell me that my arms are shaking badly during the match when I was holding/shooting the gun. especially one handed. Is there any physical exercises that we can do to prevent this?

Guys, I need some advices on how to solve the arm shaking problem. My friends always tell me that my arms are shaking badly during the match when I was holding/shooting the gun. especially one handed. Is there any physical exercises that we can do to prevent this?

Not a whole lot to go with here. Consult a doctor first to make sure you are healthy. If that is good, I suggest a workout regimen to strengthen your whole body as well as your hands, forearms,shoulders and chest. Doesn't have done anything big, but it always helps strengthen muscle groups.

I have a very very slight tremor since I was a kid. Because of this, I suck at bullseye shooting. Talk to your dr, if its something new, then for sure get it checked out. Otherwise, perform exercises to strengthen your upper body. Pushups (close adn wide hands), Pullups, dips. Fill up a bag with 10#'s of stuff and lift it straight out in front of you. Fill that same bag with as much as you can push up above your shoulders 10 times. Do 3 set of 8 with that. Strength is your friend in action shooting. Also have you considered that it is nerves from the match? Do you shake when you practice?

I too have that problem and I am scheduled to see a neurologist in two months. Also, might want to check to see if you have high blood pressure. Also, Parkinson's Disease is a possibility.

I have non of these problems.

I had same problem few years ago - started holding the gun out straight for

60 seconds at a time (one handed - first strong, then weak). :surprise:

Problem went away ... :bow:

However, if it is a disease oriented problem, get to a M.D. :cheers:

I am going to try that.

I have a very very slight tremor since I was a kid. Because of this, I suck at bullseye shooting. Talk to your dr, if its something new, then for sure get it checked out. Otherwise, perform exercises to strengthen your upper body. Pushups (close adn wide hands), Pullups, dips. Fill up a bag with 10#'s of stuff and lift it straight out in front of you. Fill that same bag with as much as you can push up above your shoulders 10 times. Do 3 set of 8 with that. Strength is your friend in action shooting. Also have you considered that it is nerves from the match? Do you shake when you practice?

I workout regularly. consider myself a pretty fit. :) I guess it's nerves from the match, because it doesn't happen during my dry fire practice.

At my club is a young fit guy whose whole upper body trembles when he shoots stages. It appears to be a high degree of muscular tension from nerves/adrenalin. I can understand that some shooters get pretty revved up to shoot a stage. I'm sure there a good approaches to address this, if it's what's happening with you.

At my club is a young fit guy whose whole upper body trembles when he shoots stages. It appears to be a high degree of muscular tension from nerves/adrenalin. I can understand that some shooters get pretty revved up to shoot a stage. I'm sure there a good approaches to address this, if it's what's happening with you.

I guess yes. Did that problem go away with that young guy?

I haven't seen the fellow shoot for a while but next time I do, I might bring it up with him in the nicest way possible. He'll thank me after he makes GM. :cheers:

I kind of have the opposite problem. I've always enjoyed the act of shooting a lot and it's something I've done for relaxation and as something entirely different from the cubicle-dwelling technology-immersed professional world I live in. So shooting = relaxation is still part of my mental framework. Which is fine if you're not competitive, but not so fine if you want to place high in a match.

When shooting a longer stage, my shooting can deteriorate toward the end of the stage because I might let go of muscular exertion -- you could even call it tension -- when I should have some of it in the right muscles. In other words, I sometimes allow myself to relax more than I should. This is amplified when I see that, wow, this stage has gone very well so far, so I can let up...when I shouldn't. It's not that I lose the needed physical energy to maintain the right grip or sight picture discipline, or whatever it happens to be. It's a mental thing.

Edited by GunBugBit

• 4 months later...

You could be gripping the gun so hard that you are causing your muscles to tremor. Next time you are training try to relax the grip a bit and see what happens, then grip as hard as you can and see if you start shaking.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

From the fitness side, assuming no other attributes...

Core.  Strengthen and solidify it.  Leave artificial sugars alone...no grain, no salt, carb retention.  No fruit after 3pm, no legumes or any items of food that have more than 5 ingredients.

Walk 4 miles a day.  Sleep from 8pm to 8am.

You will get to 15% body fat mass.  You will stop shaking and be stable.

By the way, just finished my burger and a glass of vino, ...so not saying I am subscriber..... ;)

I know this is an old thread but my shooting/writing/computer mousing hand has a slight shake as opposed to my non-dominant. A lot of mine is from work-related, carpal, etc. Just have to keep on strengthening it and keeping better form on the computer.

• 4 weeks later...

An exercise that I did was hold a broom handle vertically in front of me with the top end touching the ceiling. You will push the handle upwards to build strength.   I'd rotate from SHO to WHO to both hands.

At matches if I notice I'm getting the shakes coming on I know its from low blood sugar.  I keep some fruit filled breakfast bars handy for such occasions.

• 7 months later...