Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where can I practice tactical skills at Rio?

Sigman

I`m brand new to the forum.  I`ve been lurking for a few days and been very impressed with the quality of the information presented here.  I shoot a Sig P229 .40 DAO.   It should be coming back from Teddy Jacobson in a few days.  The first local gunsmith who converted it to DAO did kind of a rough job, so I sent it to Teddy for some cleanup.  He`s got the DAO pull down to 8 lbs.  I can`t wait to get it back!  This leads me to my question:  I live in Chandler and make trips out to Rio Salado Sportsmans Club to shoot.  Where out there can one practice tactical shooting?  Maybe set up some plates and such.  Work on draw and first shot skills and that sort of stuff.  I`ve shot some IDPA matches.  I do need to increase my dry-fire practice.  But I would also like to go shoot at a place that lets you draw and fire.

(Edited by Sigman at 10:57 am on Mar. 20, 2002)

The deal at Rio is: First you have to be a member (of the main club), and then you have to shoot a certain number (I can't remember how many, maybe 3 - 5) of Practical or Tuesday nite matches. Then they'll "punch your card," which will allow you access to the four Practical Pistol bays at any time. (They give you a key to the target shed.)

It's the best deal in the country.

be

That clears it up then.  Thanks Brian!  I`ve been meaning to get out to one of the Tues. night steel matches.  There are so many great shooters out there.  I`ve got a mental "performance anxiety" block I`ve got to clear first.  I think I need to concentrate on just going out and having some fun.   BTW, I see that you`ve read the Carlos Castenanda series of books also.  They`re great stuff.  Kind of like Budhism with a Yaqui indian slant to it.   I enjoyed them a great deal.

Thanks for the quick reply!