Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many matches do you shoot per month?

garbanzo

I have only been shooting for about one year after taking 25 ish years off.

But I now shoot 6 times a month 

(Was 7, but it's just too much ammo)

The 1st Sunday - USPSA 

The 2nd Tuesday - action pistol league 

The 3rd Tuesday - tactical carry 

The 4th Tuesday - 2 gun

The 3rd Wednesday - steel plate races

The 2nd Thursday - regular steel shoot

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just started this month (just joined USPSA and shot my first matches) but for the next 4 months schedules I have minimum 2-4 a month.

if personal time allows I can easily shoot 2 a week for the next few months.

Edited by kmanick

I try to do 3 local matches a month. The 3 matches I like to shoot are all about a hour to a hour and a fifteen miunte drive for me. The one weekend a month I don't shoot a match is because the clubs that host the match are 2 to 3 hours away. They club that is 3 hours away is lucky to have 30 people show up. The club that is 2 hours away usually had 90+ people show up and takes forever to shoot.

• 1 month later...

I try to make a match every weekend so usually three or four a month. I shoot USPSA, steel challenge, and GSSF so usually there isn’t a problem finding s match around me 

Shoot both IDPA and USPA.

Recently divorced ( not because of shooting Ha Ha) so I embraced my new Freedom and shoot a match just about every weekend.

Pretty lucky in my area, have a pretty good selection of both IDPA and USPSA matches.

I rejoined USPSA in the beginning of November last year after a six or seven year break.  I've shot 46 matches in the meantime so that's not quite 6 per month.

Total stage time was 1 hour 12 minutes with ~4700 rounds fired.  My classification improved 12% in the same time period.

Thinking of this another way:

Regular dry fire (15min/day) can earn you a whole year's worth of gun handling experience in just one week.

2 per month right now because of the long summer days and a local range that does a really nice 6-stage, Tuesday afternoon/evening match that fits my schedule perfectly.

Probably just 1 per month during the rest of the year....mostly just because of my work schedule. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2016 at 12:36 PM, pointerman1967 said:

On average 1.5 per month. Kids need my time so I can't just indulge in my hobbies liberally.

I heard that! I have 2 little rascals , I go maybe twice a month and Im fortunate enough that the matches are only an hour away.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've been shooting USPSA fairly serious for past 22 months.  In 2017 I was trying to shoot 1-2 matches per month but ran into some medical problems with my eyes (dry-eye syndrome, plus allergies that impacted my vision) which forced me to cease all shooting activity for 3-4 months.  Have been coming back strong in 2018, shooting 2 matches per month when my schedule allows.  Started getting really serious trying to bump up to B class in Carry Optics, so in July I increased dry-firing to 30 minutes per day/6 days per week and increased local matches to 4 per month leading up to NC State Sectional match in mid-September.  The increase in training and match activity came about after reading a couple of books about mastering the mental aspects of the shooting sports.  After the State Sectional I may drop my pace down a notch or two to have some downtime and get ready for next year.  Also, I have a training class scheduled in the fall with one of the top USPSA shooters to help me up my game a notch or two.  So, in summary I think the number of matches you shoot will and should fluctuate over the course of a year depending on your goals, training, time available, medical issues, and other stuff that life throws your way!

• 1 month later...

I used to shoot about 3 locals a month.  Just about a year ago I found that this was a waste of time to truly progress.  I went to these matches to of course, have fun but I truly thought that I was improving by going to them.

This past year I only shot on average one match a year (usually a major)

I substituted this lack of matches with 3-4 practice sessions.  This helped me immensely, reaching my shooting goals this summer. (make gm and win an area match)

• 4 weeks later...

Shooting a bunch of locals don't help too much after a point.

I recommend for every 3 practice sessions shooting one match.  (Something around that)

Go train a bunch, then see the match improvements.  Practice over everyyyyyything.  

And....of course go shoot majors.

On 2/22/2016 at 1:15 AM, garbanzo said:

Just wondering how many matches the average shooter attends each month. I currently go to a first saturday of the month match so only once a month, however, I'm planning to attend a weekly USPSA match in Norco. As of right now, the fiance seems okay with this but we'll see what happens in a few months/years...

I shoot four to five pistol matches a month and two to three tactical shotgun matches.  Looking at attending rimfire matches, too!

I shoot 1-2 per month. I was shooting a few more but it cut into my practice too much. Now I practice every weekend and shoot my local and work in a few majors. I found that 300 rounds of practice helps my shooting a lot more than a 5 stage local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk