Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many matches do you shoot per month?

garbanzo

4-5 for me. We have about 5 ranges that run different matches every weekend. Can shoot all disciplines in the same month at the same range or chase the same discipline by driving to another range each weekend.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to get back into shooting after about a 9 year hiatus.  Currently lucky to get 2 IDPA matches in a month. Used to shoot plates and bowling pin comps once a week with a monthly IPSC match or two mixed in.  I'm hoping to get back to shooting at least 4 times a month in something.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently only one per month (Steel Challenge). For a number of years was doing eight matches per month - a mix of USPSA, Steel Challenge, Cowboy and IDPA. There are 10 matches per month available in my tri-city area; if I was willing to drive 60 miles per match (one way), I could add another 8 per month at a nearby city.

• 2 weeks later...

Every other week, local club, different disciplines every time. Rimfire, centerfire, pistol, rifle, benchrest, bullseye, silhouette, and action shooting. I feel like it makes for a well rounded individual. Me and my dad took 3rd and 4th place for the season last year. That was special.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here in NC, I can shoot a match every weekend if I wanted, but I have found that matches don’t replace practice so 2 matches a month and 2 practice sessions a month for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Part_time_redneck said:

I try to shoot for 3-4 a month ( pun intended ). But here in south MS I think a witch doctor has put a hex on us. Mon-Fri is beautiful and then it storms every weekend. @ 3 a month is where I would like to be though plus maybe a SC match. 

Weather in North MS hasn't been dry either.  Our range owner is however a die hard, so we have been shooting.  We are lucky to have a shooting shed where we can get out of the heavy rain while shooting and just get wet taping and scoring though.  Shooting in the rain is way better than a fair weather day at work. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Just wondering how many matches the average shooter attends each month. I currently go to a first saturday of the month match so only once a month, however, I'm planning to attend a weekly USPSA match in Norco. As of right now, the fiance seems okay with this but we'll see what happens in a few months/years...

If you’re worried about your fiancé now, wait till she’s your wife and you have kids! Set the routine before it’s too late! Ask me how I know!

I try for at least 2 per month, I’m lucky if I get a 3rd, and i start really pushing my luck with the wife if I do 4...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Miggz55 said:

If you’re worried about your fiancé now, wait till she’s your wife and you have kids! Set the routine before it’s too late! Ask me how I know!

I try for at least 2 per month, I’m lucky if I get a 3rd, and i start really pushing my luck with the wife if I do 4...

My son shoots, so momma doesn't mind.  After the first couple level 2s she attended she actually started liking it.  We are about to head to Area 6 Championship in a few days and she is excited.   Taking your significant other along to local matches may not be fun for them, but traveling to other places and making it a mini vacation will be, or has been for those I know.

My son shoots, so momma doesn't mind.  After the first couple level 2s she attended she actually started liking it.  We are about to head to Area 6 Championship in a few days and she is excited.   Taking your significant other along to local matches may not be fun for them, but traveling to other places and making it a mini vacation will be, or has been for those I know.

Good thinkin!
May be a good way to get my wife/kids on board... my daughters are too young to shoot with me just yet, but hopefully in a few years they will join the fun!

16 minutes ago, Miggz55 said:

Good thinkin!
May be a good way to get my wife/kids on board... my daughters are too young to shoot with me just yet, but hopefully in a few years they will join the fun!

My son stated at 10.  We however have a unique 6 year old who shoots .22 S&W compact.  He is moving into pcc now, but is a very safe shooter.  My son was taught with the same .22, he went to all my matches, learned how to keep score, attended RO training with me, talked to Jesse Duff sho asked why he wasn't shooting and 2 months later I bought him a 5.25 competition Springfield Armory to shoot production with.  Rest is history.   My daughter attends with my wife to the level 2s and 3s, both like to shoot, but are just too shy to do it in front of people.(kinda glad, fun tickets would be stretched really thin). Good luck with getting your bunch to follow along.  It is good quality family time. You may even get them into rim fire steel challenge if those happen close to you.

My son stated at 10.  We however have a unique 6 year old who shoots .22 S&W compact.  He is moving into pcc now, but is a very safe shooter.  My son was taught with the same .22, he went to all my matches, learned how to keep score, attended RO training with me, talked to Jesse Duff sho asked why he wasn't shooting and 2 months later I bought him a 5.25 competition Springfield Armory to shoot production with.  Rest is history.   My daughter attends with my wife to the level 2s and 3s, both like to shoot, but are just too shy to do it in front of people.(kinda glad, fun tickets would be stretched really thin). Good luck with getting your bunch to follow along.  It is good quality family time. You may even get them into rim fire steel challenge if those happen close to you.

Awesome! I just picked up a Ruger SR22 to see if they show any interest! My oldest is 8, and her younger sister is 5. Will probably get the 8yo to the range at some point this year!

Just now, Miggz55 said:

Awesome! I just picked up a Ruger SR22 to see if they show any interest! My oldest is 8, and her younger sister is 5. Will probably get the 8yo to the range at some point this year!

Awesome!!  Buy a spinning target at the walmart, she will like making it spin I bet.  Hats off to you for sharing your time with your kids.  Life gets way too busy and complicated on its own, it's awesome hearing about people who take time to slow it down and spend one on one time with their kids and spouses!

Just 1-2 a month unfortunately. Usually just one cause that’s all there is in near driving distance  from where I live. If your goal is to get better, shooting matches definitely helps but I feel once you start to get the lay of the land you’re better served with dry fire and live fire practice where you can refine the skills demanded to shoot stages successfully . 

On 2/21/2016 at 10:15 PM, garbanzo said:

Just wondering how many matches the average shooter attends each month. I currently go to a first saturday of the month match so only once a month, however, I'm planning to attend a weekly USPSA match in Norco. As of right now, the fiance seems okay with this but we'll see what happens in a few months/years...

I've only been competing for about 9 months now in USPSA and Steel Challenge. But I'm usually shooting about 3-4 level USPSA and Steel Challenge matches every month! I'm hooked!