Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Rangemaster vs Tactical 9mm

EasyTargetRN

Looking for input on both. On the surface the only difference is the rail. Considering adding a 9mm SS as my go- to in local USPSA competition. Being in NY doesn't allow the benefit of standard capacity mags. Brazos Customs has the Rangemaster for 1499, local dealer can get the Tactical 5" from STI for the same.

Appreciate your thoughts personal experience...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Looking for input on both. On the surface the only difference is the rail. Considering adding a 9mm SS as my go- to in local USPSA competition. Being in NY doesn't allow the benefit of standard capacity mags. Brazos Customs has the Rangemaster for 1499, local dealer can get the Tactical 5" from STI for the same.

Appreciate your thoughts personal experience...

Adjustable vs fixed sights

Wood vs G10 grips

Blued vs Cerakote

Square trigger guard vs round

I don't have any experience with either, but those are what I see as the main differences. I expect most people would prefer the Bomar style sights over fixed novak for USPSA, but I personally kinda like fixed sights that you don't have to worry about breaking or losing zero.

Are you shooting Single stack?

Things to consider:

Weight limit - 43oz

Bull barrel (not legal)

Dust cover no longer than 3.25" from the slide stop pin

So neither of the 2 guns would SS legal.

Edited by Quack

Trojan is a sweet ss setup. Throw some good grips on it and a few small parts and itll run like a scalded cat

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I second that. I have three Trojans that I got from Dawson Precision with their CRP package and they all run great.

Trojan is a sweet ss setup. Throw some good grips on it and a few small parts and itll run like a scalded cat

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I second that. I have three Trojans that I got from Dawson Precision with their CRP package and they all run great.
Budget is about 1500.

Didn't he specifically say he is looking for an L10 gun? Sounds to me like a FLDC would be the smart choice, except for the one reason that a Trojan is cheaper to get set up for racing.

No, I don't think so.

A hard chrome Trojan is right at $1500 with CRP package from Dawson.

Didn't he specifically say he is looking for an L10 gun? Sounds to me like a FLDC would be the smart choice, except for the one reason that a Trojan is cheaper to get set up for racing.

No, I don't think so.

thinking L10 for the STI

No, I don't think so.

thinking L10 for the STI

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

L10 minor seems goofy. What would be the point in not being competitive in a division almost no one shoots (although maybe people in NY do shoot L10).

10 is our legal limit which forces us to work on accuracy. 9mm enforces that

L10 minor seems goofy. What would be the point in not being competitive in a division almost no one shoots (although maybe people in NY do shoot L10).

but if 10 is your legal limit, you can still shoot L10 major, and you can still shoot accurately, you just don't lose as many points for the charlies and occasional delta.

shooting L10 minor to enforce accuracy makes as much sense as shooting L9 to enforce accuracy. Why intentionally disadvantage yourself?

• 2 weeks later...

but if 10 is your legal limit, you can still shoot L10 major, and you can still shoot accurately, you just don't lose as many points for the charlies and occasional delta.

shooting L10 minor to enforce accuracy makes as much sense as shooting L9 to enforce accuracy. Why intentionally disadvantage yourself?

I use my G22 and P16-40 in L10. Was.looking ton get into 9mm and prefer the 19/2011 trigger

+1

Shoot 40 major out of the rangemaster, but focus only on accuracy. Then when you accidentally have bad hits (which is bound to happen) you don't get hurt so badly.