Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Mo Zee

Turning down a bull barrel

I am unable to find a 0.936" gas block and most if not all of the dealers in South Africa have some from of a 0.750" gas block. Other than selling the bull barrel for an alternative, can someone shed advice with regards to turning the barrel down, up until the gas ports to accommodate the run of the mill gas blocks that I can find here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mo Zee

What sort of advice are you looking for? The barrel needs to be done in a lathe, the person running the lathe should be knowledgeable enough to figure the speeds and feeds. Turing only the front of the barrel for the gas block is an easy modification.

Advice as in if it can be done, and things to look out for.

Thanks for the input you've provided. The gunsmith that will work on it is pretty knowledgeable and I have confidence in his ability.

Open up a .750 gas block, would be much cheaper.

I haven't considered this option as yet. I will look into it.

Turn the barrel .750 from the chamber tapper all the way to the end! Great profile and works with any gas block!

Edited by kurtm

Open up a .750 gas block, would be much cheaper.

Do you think there is enough to remove to do that ?

Depends on the gas block. If the gas block is a low profile, it may not work. Use your calipers, it does not need a lot to wrap the barrel.

I would open the gas block. there is a possibility, and i dont think you are going to see much difference in an AR, that if you turn down the barrel you will relieve some stress on the barrel. I dont think you will see much effects on the target. Either option is easy, here in the USA gas blocks come in all shapes and sizes and are availible with a click of a button and an Amazon drone brings it in hours....well...almost.....not yet...we do have easy access to parts here..