Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
casey

holster, Safariland 012 or Limcat?

Double post, whoops.... see below.

By the way, my Race holster is a CR Speed - quick & secure.

For Limited I use an Uncle Mikes Kydex. ($16 and faster than you'd think  

(Edited by shooter40 at 7:47 am on Feb. 27, 2002)

Don't know your experience or skill level... but....

For a newer IPSC shoter, I'd recommend something similar to a Safariland 012, 011, or even an older 008 (if limited) for safety and retention.... the new Limcats (and Ghosts, Hogues, etc) are very fast, but I just feel  (IMHO) that they take a certain "experience level" to use safely.... some of the Safariland designs seem more forgiving, and have some muzzle cover and retention, which might be nice "warm fuzzy" for new shooters.

Its jusy SO easy to lose your gun out of the newer designs unless you are VERY disciplined in the manual of arms of your holster.

And, you could always sell your holster later and try a different one if you just gotta have the "latest" thing.

As far as which holster is "fastest"? Which ever one you've practiced for and done thousands of dry fire draws from! There are guys out there who draw faster out of Kydex than most of us can out of "Race" holsters!

(Limcat and Ghost lovers, please don't flame me! Just my opinion.)

I agree with Shooter40.  The new designs take a lot of attention.  I use a Lim right now, and have used just about everything in the past.  The lim is great - absolutely nothing jabbing you in the leg while you're running or shooting low ports, etc.  It feels "free."

BUT, it is very easy to pop the gun out of the holster if you aren't locking it in.  The locking lever is painless to use, but if you don't use it (which I usually don't when starting in a box standing), and you sit down into a chair, all you have to do is TOUCH the muzzle on the chair and your loaded gun will pop out.  (not to scare you away from a lim or ghost, but I saw this happen I think twice at last years Area One with loaded guns, resulting in DQ's)

You absolutely must pay attention - however, it is a dream to draw from and run field courses with !!   I personally wouldn't go back to a regular holster at this point, but it's definitely another thing to be conscious of.

One other thing with the Lim, you can switch from your open to limited gun without doing any holster adjustments whatsoever.  Johnny Lim is pretty slick!!

Bret

I had (still have actually...) a Safariland 011 (older version of the 012). I'm now using a Limcat which is what I recommend to anybody looking for a race holster. I don't think the Limcat's any faster but it's a little easier to adjust and much more secure when not on the COF.

I, of course, prefer the LimCat - but wanted Casey to tell us what s/he considered the pros and cons.  I usually use this technique when I can't decide something.  By the time I've figured out the benefits/disappointments of each and write them down, it's pretty much a no-brainer :-)

One disadvantage to the 012 is making adjustments.  Like if you want to go from open to limited, you have to remove the muzzle piece, move it, reattach it.....

forget it if you want to make any other adjustments.....you have to loosen every dagum screw on the thing!  I only use it 'cause I don't like the feeling of my gun hanging by the trigger guard.....old school....I like it to feel like a holster.  LimCat is probably a better way to go....

I just got done playing with my new Safariland 012.  It's probably a secure holster when using a walkthrough strap, but the integral lock on the LimCat is more attractive.  The Safariland does seem superior as far as getting your gun positioned exactly the same way each time, so I can understand why a lot of the big dogs are using it.  

With a walkthrough strap I think it's 6 one way, half-a-dozen the other...  I don't think you'll be disappointed with either.

Eric

A walkthrough strap always seemed to border on a rule violation to me.  It seems that if you need to strap the gun to the holster, then it probably wouldn't pass a holster test.

Then again, I haven't faced a holster test for 11 years or something, so it probably doesn't matter.

I agree with Eric, though, about the 012.  That's what I like about it; the adjustability.  It's nice to be able to position the gun EXACTLY where you want it.

I just got a Ghost tonight and I like it better than my Limcat. The lever on the Limcat gets in the way on a scooping draw that I do. It slowed me down just a little from my 011 with Arrendando platform. ( probably.05 on average) I almost clipped it off til I read about a shooter that ruined his. The Ghost is a pain to set up but seems good for me. It also rests against your leg at the bottom of the holster,  like a 012,  so it really is more stable than a Limcat on draws.  I was also dissappointed at Johnny Lims service as I emailed him twice with no response. Anybody want a good deal on a Limcat less than a year old.

(Edited by BSeevers at 8:42 pm on Mar. 28, 2002)