Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New glass for backup / loaner gun?

Nebwake

I got a smoking deal on an older Savage 110FP .308 wearing a choate tactical (McMillian A5 clone style) stock. Now I need a new optic for it. For a lower end gun, I am considering putting a Vortex PST 6-24 EBR2c on it. But I don't really want to throw a sub-par optic on it as it may be repurposed down the road to a 6.5cm build. My other picks are a Bushnell 3.5-21 DMR G2 or a Vortex Razor gen1 5-20. Here is my conundrum; I fully know the bushy and razor are far better than the PST in nearly every aspect, but with 2 kids in daycare, it all comes down to price. I can get really good deals from my supplier, but I am prohibited from listing prices so I will just list the difference.

The Bushy costs $367 more than the PST

The Razor costs $550 more that the PST

The Razor costs $183 more than the Bushnell

So is the Razor worth the $183 over the bushy? is the Bushy worth the $367 over the PST?

This gun will not really be used for PRS matches so much as it will be a loaner / rental gun for Police marksman training/ LR Hunting classes and occasional coyote gun.

Also keep in mind this gun will be a loaner /rental for Police marksman training and I fully expect it to get beat on. I need it to be rock solid in a tactical training environment. I would love to throw a NF or razor 2 on it, but for a loaner I just cant put that much cash into it :)

Lots of positive reviews about the scope and the company on snipers hide. Have not personally used them. They are new on the scene but look promising at the price point of their various lines. Great warranty as well.

Pat and dtilley, I do really like the Burris XTR 2 a lot. My only grip is the reticle. The SCR is pretty decent, and probably better in some ways than the G2 or EBR 2c but... I really like windage holds (Christmas tree reticle) for PRS style shooting on the clock. I have no problem dialing for most shooting, but follow up shots are sure nice with the Christmas tree style reticles.

So Burris just released a H59 reticle XTRII 4-20. Decisions, decisions. That said, Bushnell is back ordered till june on the DMR so it looks like the HDMR (horus 59 reticle) is what I am looking at now. Here is where it gets tricky.

The Burris 4-20 h59, Bushnell HDMR and Vortex Razor HD 1 are all within the same exact price +/- $50 with the Burris being the most, followed by the Razor then the Bushnell.

I have taken the PST out of the equation.

There really is not a shop here locally that has any of these scopes for me to look is the problem.

In that case I would just pick up the Gen1 razor.

Yea that is what I am leaning towards. how are the turrets with the 10mil rev? I know in some of the other scopes 10mil rev can be a little mushy since they are so close.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why you aren't going with the PST. For a back up, beater, loaner, it would work great. It's affordable, has a great reticle, the warranty is fantastic. If your other scope is a Razor, the reticle will be the same, so no confusion when going back and forth. Seems like a no brainier to me, and I'm saying this as a Bushy fan.

We just got in Tango 6 sig scopes the other day, the 1-6 version really clear glass but FFP. I work at night so no idea if its going to be daylight bright but the price point kind of set me back, 1800 smackers... Even at dealer price for SIG master dealer is a bit high.

We just got in Tango 6 sig scopes the other day, the 1-6 version really clear glass but FFP. I work at night so no idea if its going to be daylight bright but the price point kind of set me back, 1800 smackers... Even at dealer price for SIG master dealer is a bit high.

You can get them for $1350 or $1260 depending on the model from optics planet. Where is your pricing coming from?

I have some demo sigs coming in. Pretty much everything but the 1-6 are backordered, but I should see that one here shortly. And shooter steve, i do like the PST logic. They have been pretty decent from what i have seen. It just seems that the glass gets much better if you throw a few hundred at it :)