Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Freedom Munitions 69gr 223 - Anyone using past 300 yards?

logiztix

Long story short, I have two new rifle builds that really don't like my existing stash of 55 grain ammo (in their 1:7 twist 18" barrels) and I don't want to burn $1 per round for every target beyond 50 yards in every 3-Gun match I shoot in 2016.

I thought I had solved my problem by ordering a case of 69gr HPBT from Freedom Munitions. They chronograph consistent and the rifle is happy with them from a short-range accuracy standpoint, but zero information (despite attempts to obtain from FM) on what bullet they are loaded with leaves me unable to work up accurate trajectory for their load.

For the Limited gun, a 2-3" difference at 400 yards isn't going to be a 'game changer' for me, but with a new Vortex 1-6x on the Tac Ops gun, I *may* notice the 10" difference at 600 yards. With today's winds at 30+ MPH, my Ballistic Coefficient Reverse Engineering System is officially on the fritz.

:ph34r:

Anyone know the bullet data for Freedom Munitions 69gr .223 load, or perhaps a suggestion for a reasonably priced 69gr or heavier .223 load from a manufacturer that has the BC data readily available?

Thanks!

William

Hornady and Nosler list BC info for every bullet they sell on the websites, and I am confident that similar bullet manufacturers have this info available also. Midway USA has BC listed for nearly every bullet that I have investigated for use in my 223/308 reloads. If you check out these resources, you should be able to get a reasonably accurate estimate for your trajectory.

So, the lowest I find for any 69gr HPBT is the Winchester @ .295 and the highest is a Nosler @ .336, so even with that swing I'm only looking at a 4" window at 600 yards. From the chrono results, it looks like the velocity spread will actually be a bigger factor than the BC range. Good to know the bullet manufacturer is pretty much a non-factor.

Thanks!

William

I reload for pistol on a Dillon 650 and rifle on the RCBS Rock Chucker for my bolt guns. Unfortunately, I've always reloaded rifle for accuracy, not savings and am not set up for the latter. I'm one of those nutters individually weighing brass and bullets, grouping into lots, using only one headstamp, neck sizing fired brass from the same chamber, weighing individual powder charges, etc. The result is rifle ammo for the bolt guns with a 7 FPS spread over 10 rounds at the chronograph. The downside is that every one feels like sending one of my children down range and at 3-Gun round counts I just can't do it.

Maybe some day I will get the 650 set up for .223 and load 'close enough', but I'm on the single stage with .223 for now.

Incidentally, I heard back from Freedom Munitions this afternoon. I don't know if this list is published anywhere else, but this is what they sent:

223-55- VMAX 3160 0.255

223-55-FMJ 3160 0.243

223-60-VMAX 2975 0.265

223-60-PSP 3020 0.264

223-69-HPBT 2825 0.305

223-77-HPBT 2630 0.340

The first number is velocity, while the second is the BC.

The 69gr looks like it might be the Sierra Match King, based on the BC.

William

Edited by logiztix

I've only chronographed them with a single 18" barrel so far, but with their 69gr I averaged 2788 FPS over 10 rounds with a high of 2804 and a low of 2770. I expect to see the stated velocity from my bolt gun with a 26 barrel, but wasn't disappointed with its performance from the 18.

The load should work out perfectly for the new 18" upper with the Strike Eagle on it. As a lefty, at 5.5X power, my Switchview runs into my FastFire III that's on a Warne RAMP mount at 45 degrees. Using Strelok with all the data, I'm less than 5 yards off from a perfect match of the reticle's drop points. Looks like that's my new open gun.

:devil:

Excellent write-up!

Had my Google-foo been using the 55gr VMAX load I might have found your article and saved some hand wringing. I'm also running their new load, not the re-manufactured, which would explain why my velocity spread is tighter with the same case for each round. Definitely up to standard for a 3-gun load.

Thanks!

William

I've had excellent results with the ADI (Australian Outback) ammo with the SMK 69gr bullet. Very consistent velocity regardless of temperature. I even tried their challenge of putting some rounds in my ice chest and leaving some rounds in direct sunlight on a 90 degree day with no real effect on velocity. My rifles like it as much as they like my handloads, it almost exactly matches their average velocity of 2810fps out of my 18" 1 in 8 barrel and at .55 cents a round, I'll use it in a match if I'm short on time to reload for long range ammo.

For some reason I can't post a link, but SGAMMO has them at .55 cents a round.