Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To dimple or not to dimple.

e5young

I've always had the luxury of having gas blocks with a cross pin or buying predimpled barrels. But I recently bought a cheapy/beater barrel which does not have dimples nor drilled for a gas block with a cross pin (geissele/daniel defense style).

I have watched different ways of installing a gas block from start to finish, even with a jig. Question now is, should I invest in a jig? And are there any other ways other than pencil marking and guesstimating the gas block position?

• 1 month later...

I have learned about gas blocks here lately. Measure the distance off the barrel shoulder to center of gas hole should be .295 to the center of the hole and the hole size fit a 3/32 drill bit easy if its rifle length system

some blocks need to be set away from the shoulder in order to measure up over the hole correctly this is done by adding a feeler gauge between the shoulder and the block when tightening.

as for dimpling you will need to first find out if the block fits over the gas hole correctly before you dimple (I see I am late to the party here but its important)

and then I recommended using a dimple Jig insuring it fits the same way your gas block measured to fit. (using a jig that is not the same size as the block just wont work)

I got this information from Superlative Arms who is making an amazing new block that bleeds gas out the front of the gun allowing the action to run cooler and cleaner. I have it on a 18" Black Hole 5.56 and it works

but I learned this the hard way and cost me 25 positions in a match recently but after correct installation its pretty sweet

Remember when firing you want to see brass ejecting to 3-4 O'clock off the gun (brass landing at 1-2 O'clock is over gassed.

set the rifle with the least power/pressure round you will shoot and make sure it locks back on an empty mag and check it off of fully loaded mags from the prone position to insure function is 100%

hope this makes sense. Good Shooting

Dimpling is fairly simple. There are some nice jigs available that make it even easier. SLR and parallax are a few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an adjustable SLR block and used their jig to dimple two barrels. Had no issues, was easy to use, didn't take long - provided you have the correct bits (or buy the ones they sell).

It's pretty easy to do without a jig IMHO. Get your gas block set up where it needs to be and the rifle is functioning properly. Take one screw out and use a transfer punch to mark your dimple location. Tighten that screw back up, and repeat on your second screw. Remove GB and dimple barrel on drill press. Please note I said transfer punch, not center punch. There's a big difference.

That said I prefer to use clamp on blocks.