Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Shadow modifications that are still legal in IPSC Production divisi

luketmv

Hi all,

New to the CZ area and am looking to purchase a variation of the shadow, if someone could explain to me the differences between the shadow, shadow line, and shadow orange that would be appreciated, also if someone could tell me what mods can be made to the gun whilst remaining in production division of ipsc. I read other posts but didnt really get a clear cut answer.

You are asking a very wide question;

- an unmodified Shadow is production legal

- Shadowlines are updated versions of older guns and unmodified are production legal

- the Shadow Orange is a higher quality, better fitted version of the Shadow and unmodified is production legal.

Generally in IPSC production you can use any CZ factory part designed for that series of gun and remain production legal.

You can fit these parts but you cannot polish them.

You can also use CZ or third party grips and sights and remain legal. You cannot modify the slide to fit sights.

Appendix D4 of the 'IPSC Handgun Competition Rules' is a good place to start;

"APPENDIX D4: Production Division

1. Minimum power factor for Major - Not applicable
2. Minimum power factor for Minor -125
3. Minimum bullet weight - No
4. Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length - 9 mm (0.354”) / 19 mm (0.748”)
5. Minimum bullet caliber for Major - Not applicable
6. Minimum trigger pull (see Appendix E4a) - 2.27 kg (5 lbs.) for first shot
7. Maximum handgun size Maximum barrel length - 127 mm
8. Maximum magazine length - No
9. Maximum ammunition capacity - Yes, see below
10. Max. distance of handgun and allied equipment from torso - 50 mm (see Rule 5.2.5)
11. Rule 5.2.10 / Appendix E2 applies - Yes
12. Optical/electronic sights - No
13. Compensators, ports, sound and/or flash suppressors - No

Special conditions:
14. Only handguns listed as approved on the IPSC website may be used in Production Division. Note that handguns
deemed by IPSC to be single-action-only are expressly prohibited. The official IPSC protocol used to measure
barrel length is described in Appendix E4b.

15. Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked (see Rule 8.1.2.5), at the Start Signal. First shot
attempted must be double action. Competitors in this Division who, after the issuance of the Start Signal and
prior to attempting the first shot, cock the hammer on a handgun which has a loaded chamber, will incur one
procedural penalty per occurrence. Note that a procedural penalty will not be assessed in respect of courses of
fire where the ready condition requires the competitor to prepare the handgun with an empty chamber. In these
cases, the competitor may fire the first shot single action.

16. Original parts and components offered by the OFM as standard equipment, or as an option, for a specific model
handgun on the IPSC approved handgun list are permitted, subject to the following:
16.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing (the removal of burrs and/or adjustments unavoidably
required in order to fit replacement OFM parts or components), are prohibited. Other prohibited
modifications include those which facilitate faster reloading (e.g. flared, enlarged and/or add-on
magwells, etc.), changing the original color and/or finish of a handgun, and/or adding stripes, stippling or
other embellishments.
16.2 Magazines accessible to a competitor during a COF must not contain more than 15 rounds at the Start
Signal. Identifying marks or decals, internal capacity limiters, bumper pads and additional witness holes,
which add or remove negligible weight to/from magazines, are permitted.
16.3 Sights may be trimmed, adjusted and/or have colors applied. Sights may also be fitted with fiber optic or
similar inserts.

17. Aftermarket parts, components and accessories are prohibited, except as follows:
17.1 Aftermarket magazines are permitted, subject to 16.2 above.
17.2 Aftermarket open sights (see Rule 5.1.3.1) are permitted, provided their installation and/or adjustment
requires no alteration to the handgun.
17.3 Aftermarket grip panels which match the profile and contours of the OFM standard or optional grip
panels for the approved handgun and/or the application of tape on grips (see Appendix E3a) are
permitted. However, rubber sleeves are prohibited."

Edited by BMaus

Ok but regarding parts....

Ive heard of an improved CZ firing pin, is that legal?

The extended base pads whilst keeping 15 rounds, is that legal?

Can the trigger weight be pulled down to 5 lbs with some CZ parts?

Recoil spring can you use any spring made by CZ (11lb spring) ?

basically if you want to go all out on a shadow but still be IPSC compliant you can do the following:

hammer spring - CZ 13lb (they did make an 11lb for a while, if you can find one use that).

recoil spring - CZ 11lb (yes you can use any CZ made recoil spring or hammer spring)

guide rod - choose the plastic one or stainless steel if you like. you can also use the CZ shock buff if you want but personally I take it out for matches (it can fall apart and cause a malfunction)

front and rear sights are totally free as long as you don't need to mill the slide. probably the best combo is a dawson front in the width/height you want along with the CZ UB adjustable rear, or just the regular shadow fixed rear (I like the fixed rear and adjust POI by using the correct height front sight).

use the CZ comp hammer (I prefer the wide version though most seem to sell only the narrow version these days, both work on a shadow)

use the CZ extended firing pin (and the CZ rami firing pin spring which is lighter)

fit the CZ pre-b disconector (removes nearly all the pre-travel in single action)

remove any burrs/high spots on the trigger bar, sides of hammer etc. you cannot mirror polish like you can in USPSA, but 'fitting' and 'de-burring' is ok. you can also do a lot of dry fire which will also help smooth out the action.

bend the factory trigger return spring to lighten it

use the safeties that suit your grip best (can use the shadow safeties, SP01 safeties or the flat CZ safeties)

Grips are also pretty much free as long as the match the profile, I prefer either the factory rubber grips or the SSI scales (with skate tape on front and rear strap of the grip) there are plenty of other grip options too (CZ, CZC, DAA etc)

you can fit the slightly longer aus spec barrel if you like (not much advantage to it, but it gives a few extra mm of barrel and perhaps a few extra FPS at the chrono)

for the trigger use the one that suits your grip best, you can use the old style 85 combat trigger (not as curved and thicker than shadow trigger) or the new style 85 combat trigger which has more curve to it like the shadow trigger.

yes the CZ base pads are legal (the only rule about base pads in production is they cannot add 'significant weight' so no brass pads allowed, the CZ factory ones are ok)

With all that stuff you can get the double action down around 6lb or under (don't want to go any further anyway as it must pass a 5lb double action test at big matches). Single action around 2 to 2.5lb is possible too.

Basically the CZ UB made hop up parts are legal. As are parts from other CZ pistols that are also on the production list.

Is the extended firing pin really legal for IPSC Production? I haven't noticed it in any CZ UB factory made guns and neither is it provided as an CZ upgrade part. CZC is the only place selling it and they are claiming it to be CZ part, but that can be a mistake.

I cannot speak for what they sell but if it's marked as made by CZ UB I've no reason to doubt that. CZ definitely make (or made) extended firing pins for the non firing pin block guns (shadow, 85C etc). They also included them in models like the orange, shadow mate etc.

I cannot speak for what they sell but if it's marked as made by CZ UB I've no reason to doubt that. CZ definitely make (or made) extended firing pins for the non firing pin block guns (shadow, 85C etc). They also included them in models like the orange, shadow mate etc.

Is the extended firing pin really legal for IPSC Production? I haven't noticed it in any CZ UB factory made guns and neither is it provided as an CZ upgrade part. CZC is the only place selling it and they are claiming it to be CZ part, but that can be a mistake.

Agree with beer, they are sold up here in numbers as well. A lot of the other shooters here in production use them when running lightened mainsprings, and its no secret either.

Our local sec coordinator(I think that's his position title) shoots a cz in production and if it was illegal I imagine he would make it known pretty quickly.