Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP powders

Kaldor

ZZT, I concur with your calculations. I entered the wrong weight for the firearm, when I did the calculation. It sounds like I need to build some loads using different powders and run them past a chrono. Step one, buy a chrono....

Great responses, now I understand the real difference in the use of specific powders and the end result. I knew the amount of gas was critical in recoil management in the Open guns and compensators, with the report done on the .38 Super rounds, it now makes sense. In my specific case, the slower impulse is what I am after, whereas for younger shooters I would imagine the faster impulse will be preferred.

As the last post says, the fun is in trying them out. I will bet most shooters here are of the tinkering and figuring the best path to better performance, and if you are like me, there is always something new to try out and observe. Keeps ud out of trouble.....most of the time. thanks for the great replies.

• 3 weeks later...

STEVE RA, what charges and bullet weights are you using and what velocities are you getting? I tried Clays with 200 gr., 225 gr., and 230 gr. cast bullets, and got nice clean target loads, but lost accuracy as velocities moved toward "major" velocities. Also got what I think were pressure signs. Coulda just been my pistol, I guess.

4.8 - 5.0gr Titegroup for the 230gr pills.

According to Hodgdon 4.8 of Titegroup is max pressure...

yes, and the hodgdon data was produced using a COL of 1.20" instead of a more standard COL of 1.26-1.275". Because of this the Hodgdon Max loads for 45acp can wind up being barely ahead of Starting loads from independently produced sources.

From personal experience I can tell you that using Hodgdon data and loading W231 behind a 230gr Berry's RN with a COL of 1.27", the max loads produce lower than expected velocity, a dirty burn, and (in my gun at least) mediocre accuracy. I don't have my notes in front of me but I think I actually got all the way to 6.0grs of 231 before everything settled in and "shot right".

This is why having multiple sources of load data is helpful. Most load manuals seem to simply reprint the factory data from the powder manufacturer. and as noted here that can lead to, let's call it Misleading data, due to some form of wacky condition/spec used by the manufacturer in producing said factory data. but there are a number of other sources producing independent data out there. this is part of why I buy the "Load Book" mini manuals for cartridges I think i'll load often.

• 2 months later...

Tightgroup feels kind of snappy when I get it up to major power factor in 45ACP. I feel it's rattling my bones and will use other powders in 45. I have a jacketed 9mm load that is so accurate I'll live with the snappiness in 9mm. Like others have said it's not ideal but it works.

I've got about 3/4 pound of HS-6. HAs anyone got a good load for 45ACP 200 gr plated x-treme. I'm wanting to try it, I have other powders titegroup , VV 340. Looking in the lee second edition load manual, N-340 and HS-6 are right next to each other, as far as burn rate ,But charge weights are very different .

Has anyone tried HS_6 in 45, I am shooting Springfield loaded 5" no comp!

Thanks for any info!

Edited by ghost21

I don't have the specific load handy, but Titegroup behind an Xtreme 230gr plated bullet easily made Major with a mid-level load. Nothing snappy about the recoil, either. Felt recoil was lighter than standard 230gr FMJ WWB or Federal aluminum case. Yes, I used a chronograph, and it was out of a SA Range Officer.

My favorite is N310. Clean, meters extremely well, minimal standard deviation, low recoil, no smoke with coated and lead bullets, low muzzle blast.

Followed by Clays - meters ok, very soft recoil, no smoke with coated bullets and relatively clean and American Select - training ammo, soft recoil, meters so-so and kinda dirty. Titegroup has pressure spikes, lots of smoke with coated and lead bullets and heats up the gun a lot.

Edited by os2