Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CED M2 - not many BE reports, bad reviews at Midway

I'm doing my due diligence prior to purchasing a chronograph. When thinking more about which features I really want up front, the CED is coming to the top of the list. However, Midway has a relatively sub-par rating and there isn't much recent talk about the CED M2 on these forums.

Any compelling (technical) reason not to get one? For someone interested in PC connectivity without relying on a smart phone or tablet, it seems like the most convenient option.

After many frustrations with my Chrony, I finally shot the dam thing, at the time Oehler wasn't making 35p's, I did my research and a friend who has a CED M2 let me try his, so I bought one, spent the extra 35 bucks for the soft case(which I highly recommend) that was 5-6 years ago, I like this chronograph for load development, the ease of knowing what my average speed SD and ES with a push of the button for each, I bought a MS v3 which I use for ballistics, shot through the M2 v3 and a 35p to check the accuracy of my 2, I completely trust both my chronographs, and for 235 bucks(soft case) the CED M2 IMHO is a good chronograph. The Labradar is a cool unit, but it doesn't work like I think it should, the readings are delayed by almost 2 seconds, and I don't like scrolling for information, but it's ease of set up and cool factor are no like other. I have the rail adapter for my MS v3 but have never used for pistol shooting, the CED M2 flat out works with pistol, but the PF button is useless, and my friend hasn't used his Labradar for pistol rounds yet.

Thanks 427Cobra. I'm curious why you say the 'PF button is useless' - does it not calculate PF, and/or does the calculator work?

I'm only interested in the chrono for pistol - comparing charges, OAL, primers, etc. and am interested in storing and comparing data on my desktop computer.

For my needs I'm going to choose between the CED M2 and Pro Chrono (not wanting to spend more than the cost of the CED). Pro Chrono is probably a little less expensive, but looks like it sacrifices user interface, bulk (when in my office uploading data), and requires purchasing/making a connector cable which is a little ridiculous.

Is there other software to work with Pro Chrono (aftermarket, shared, etc)?

Remember when we used my pro chronic digital at the range? How simple it was? How easy it was to set up and use?

Remember me saying I tried an M2 and found it way too much work for just a single user trying to chrono a few dozen rounds?

But hey, if you think taking the unit home and scrolling through the strings and getting info to punch in the phone is not automated enough then by all means get an M2.

And don't kid yourself. The M2 is not just a little more expensive than a pro chrono digital.

You'll need a battery pack and a carry case at a minimum in addition to the unit

Remember me saying I tried an M2 and found it way too much work for just a single user trying to chrono a few dozen rounds?

I forgot about that part. It makes sense - I didn't realize the M2 is more pieces than just an external control.

The M2 is not just a little more expensive than a pro chrono digital. You'll need a battery pack and a carry case at a minimum in addition to the unit

Good point. In addition I'm seeing how easy and inexpensive the DIY USB cable is. I was considering the MSRP on Competition Electronics' website.

With all the support (especially locally) for the Pro Chrono it seems like right choice. I really like the display, package (the brain that you bring to the computer), and user interface for the M2, but apparently it comes with extra baggage and cost.

So I thought the Pro Chrono needed the remote in order to hook up to a PC. Once I realized that wasn't the case and that the PC interface isn't so bad afterall, it became final.

$100 shipped from Red's Trading for the PC Digital, $6.00 for the DIY USB kit, and $25 tripod from Amazon - not too bad after all.

So I thought the Pro Chrono needed the remote in order to hook up to a PC. Once I realized that wasn't the case and that the PC interface isn't so bad afterall, it became final.

$100 shipped from Red's Trading for the PC Digital, $6.00 for the DIY USB kit, and $25 tripod from Amazon - not too bad after all.

Smart cookie!

• 5 months later...

I have 2 PACT Mk3's that work one shot in 10, even with new screens, they used to be great but for some reason their foo is weak. My CED M2 works every shot, every time. The 3 are pretty close in velocity readings when the PACT units decide to play the game.

• 10 months later...

the only thing I don't like about my M2 is the fact that I've replaced the eyes twice so far from going BO.   427cobra, when you are figuring the power factor, you hit the average button after you shoot a string, then PF button, enter the weight, then enter button.