Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comps

para man

CHI:

I shoot a hybred 3 port with a BP tech comp-

it works really good Im fixing on trying one of Shuemanns hybred barrels  a 1 in 16 twist with

no ports drilled in it -Im going to put the ports

in one at a time and use one  of STI's comps-

Ive also got a tribred one of Schuemanns older

ones its shoots flat but is loud and harsh-If I shoot

it for a long practice session 500 rounds or so my

hand is a little stressed on the other hand if

I shoot the 3 port/BP Tech for the same amount of

rounds I dont notice anything much-.I feel my hits

are better with the 3 port -I use 9.4 grains of 3n38

in the three port  and have to use a little more in

the tribred 9.7 to make major.If I was youI d shoot as many of

your shooting folks guns and try to find out what ya

like-I dont care for a titanium comp -I have made

heavier dust covers on both my open guns and I

use a tungsten guide rod in one and a sprinco

in the other.

Jim

Sailors Custom PIstols

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot the 6" tribrid AET (with gain rifling) on a 5" platform with long dust cover and I use the 115 bullets.  Its pretty flat but violent in sound and rearward shove.  I just added a 2 chamber steel comp to the end of the tribrid barrel (a'la TIG weld).  IT IS AWESOME !!  So flat and soft it will take some learning to shoot it again since there is so little feedback into the hand.  If you want to see a picture to understand the abomination I am talking about just email me and I can fire you a digital photo.  I suppose if STI was the one doing the testing it would still magically appear that both of their comps finished #1, #2.  I would suggest taking into account who is paying for the testing.   Better yet, try a bunch of guns and let your hands decide which is best.  Shoot some video and watch for flip later from the comfort of a couch.

BAM bam

I dont believe STI was the one doing the testing

I think it was and independent testing lab of

some sort-STI is a class act If someone else

was putting out the info I might have some doubts

I finds out when I get my own test platform put together

ala Schuemann Barrel and STI's comp,right now Im

working on customers guns so it'll be a while afor

I can do my stuff .

Jim

Sailors Custom Pistols

Quote: from BamBam on 3:18 am on July 5, 2002

I suppose if STI was the one doing the testing it would still magically appear that both of their comps finished #1, #2.

That statement might have value if they published the results of those test but if they didn't, it may simply be the result of legitimate R&D. If you wanted to make the most efficient comp, wouldn't you do some testing to figure out what works best?

It still comes down to what you as a shooter perceive as the best. The STI, EGW, Dawson may have been the most effective with the load tested. Change the powder or bullet weight and the test could come out totally different. It comes down to the feel of the gun before firing and the feel during recoil. My current gun has the long heavy EGW comp. It is flat and soft but I lose some on the target to target. The new blaster is just being finished by George, it will be light and hopefully faster T to T. I think starting out with a heavy, soft gun is easier to learn to shoot. I'm at the point where I'm willing to give up some of the soft for faster transitions. I still want the flat. I shot Adams tribrid and a couple others and I don't find the recoil to be that big of a deal. I think the tribrid gets beat up because it is loud.

I am not trying to slam STI (I am their biggest fan!).  I was only responding to a prior post that said "STI -Did a test in switzherland they tested I believe 8 of the top comps theirs did the best (S1 &S2)".  I'd like to see that report.  I am always skeptical when someone does a test and their products supposedly finish 1st and 2nd.  The root question of which comp works best should be easy enough to determine... and that is what makes it so unusual that there has never been a published test with empirical data that settles this elusive debate.  Not one that I ever remember seeing, at least!  The test gun should be bolted to an apparatus that measures both recoil impulse and muzzle flip at the same time (since comp design might deliver more or less of each factor).   You would think that ever comp maker would like to declare themselves the true winner in a side by side test and that if it were ever actually proven they would want to tell the world.  

• 3 weeks later...

You will always get a little stuff in your comp even if you don't shoot lead bullets. I don't shoot lead bullets anymore in my compguns but to get the other stuff out I use a tool made by Arredondo, here is there link,http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/A_tool...02ey1437k38z525 I also have found that the spray that Tombstone sells (Carter's Compensator Spray) works pretty damn good in keeping out all the stuff that gets in the comp.

BTW: Be very careful with this tool or your Dremel not to damage the crown of the barrel.

(Edited by Philip Dedmon at 4:49 pm on July 29, 2002)

• 1 year later...