Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comps

para man

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: from BigDave on 4:58 pm on May 7, 2002

Has anyone shot a slab side 5" 1911 w/ 6 hole hybrid or Tribred?  Basically like a 5" limited SV/STI with the holes in the top???

I have one like that, 5" in 38 Super and like it's been said it's REALLY LOUD.  It's also a sharp recoil but pretty flat considering how short the barrel is.  You have to use a ton of powder to make major because the fist port is about an inch from the chamber.

Quote: from Singlestack on 3:11 am on May 8, 2002

Whats the advantage?  Weight?  Length?

You get to wear ear plugs and muffs when you shoot. Nice to offer those mouth guards like football players wear to the ROs so they don't get loose teeth.

5" full profile slide with extensive litening cuts. George is designing up something to look real cool, because COOL is always good! In keeping with my anti- authority attitude I'm building it in 9mm just to piss them off. Gives me a reason to keep bugging them to make it major leagal at a OAL of less than the current 1.250".

For those who weren't here, the first Schumann design was a 6 nozzle rib that had to be silver soldered to the barrel, with a front sight on the end.  It sat about a quarter inch over the slide, so you had to use a tall Bomar.  I think someone was asking the advantage, as Wil put it, putting the nozzles over the center of gravity rather than out on the end of the gun was a better way of fighting felt recoil, and you get to stick with a five inch gun.

When asked what if you shortened the nozzles so they were flush with the slide, would that cut down on the recoil reduction, and he said "yes".  Then he started making barrels like that....

I jus put together an SVI with a Schuemann Tribred

the six inch model its an older version of what

wil is making now -Im using 9.5 of 3n38 it shoots

really nice ,we were practiceing tonight and the other

shooters said it really shot flat.

Jim

Sailors Custom Pistols

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chris - I have been playing more with my gun and can offer some insight to this discussion.  My current setup is a slab side 5" gun with the 6" Schuemann tribrid.  The standard tribrid has 3 hybrid ports and 3 barrel comps.  I added a 4th hole through the rib and rifling so I now have 7 total ports aiming up.  The slide was lightened some and the overall gun is VERY light.  And FAST.  And not for the timid as its one LOUD and VIOLENT beast.  I think if I had two more chamber walls for forward gas to hit I would have a softer (better) shooting gun, so I want to experiment with adding a titanium 2 chamber comp with side pair ports to the end (4 more total holes).  But is there enough gas left over to be useful??  I did a test the other day where I wrapped black electrical tape around the last barrel port and tested to see how many "wraps" the last port would blow out with 165PF loads.  Answer = 5.   In other words, there seems to be plenty gas still cooking to make the additional ports work.  Try this yourself one day!!

I also tried at one time to make a comp testing device.  I am with the physicist guy who believes in real testing.  Feel is feel but numbers are facts!!  I took an aluminum mag filler tube and drilled a bolt hole to allow it to rotate on a table stand.  The rotating gun assembly was held down with some springs and I also rigged a pen to the device to record its findings like a richter scale.  Crude...  but you have to admit its a clever idea.  HA!

Perfect timing for this thread: my titanium comp is just starting to come apart (too thin baffles).

I'm currently in the process to selecting a new one, and I can't decide between  the EGW and  the BP tech VA comps.

Jim, you said you tried a BP: anymore info ?

Anyone else can compare both comps ?

Exaclty how thin were those baffles, Jerome?  I have seen .10" used with steel comps, and titanium is supposed to be so much harder.  When you say coming apart, do you mean "eroding"?  Is it eroding at a rate faster than the traditional steel comps?

BamBam,

I have two problems with the comp:

- there are some cracks on (through) the baffles. IMO, this is due to their thiness : 0.035 - 0.04"

- on two spots on the baffles, you can see two starting holes, like littles cratters. IMO, this might come from copper plated bullets, on which the copper comes apart (ie two or more holes in close targets).

Anyone on the BP Tech comp ?

Ive used several of Bp Va comps- on barnys wep sight

http://www.bptech.com he has a lot of info-I do a lot of

experimenting with my guns -a Va comp with a shcuemann two port hybrid barrell works good with about any powder you can push through it I like

7625-3n38 N330.--Hs-7 aND aa-7 WORKS REALLY

good but is dirty as heck if you contact Rick Firebaugh

who makes the VA comp youll get nothing but good

info and service-Right now Im shooting a Schuemann

tribrid 6 inch barrel-Ive tried a set-up like Todd  J

with a 4.3 inch barsto barrel and Dawsons comp

Chris Kelly out in pa is shooting this gun he says

he loves it-A four port hybrid with caspians x comp

works tremendous but is so loud its punishment to

shoot it- I have a guy I shoot with that I built a caspian

for it has a 3 port schuemann hybrid with a caspian x comp he loves it- what it all comes down to like Geo

from egw says theirs a lot of good comps out their

find a good gunsmith and take his advice plus shoot

as many guns as you can -what works for the top

shooters might not work for the  average b class

or lower they are well trained and have developed

mussle control and the comp/gun they use might suck

for someone else.

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom PIstols

• 2 weeks later...

jjangln, how do you like your 6"TriBrid setup?   TeamGE, thinks it a  great way to go with a short overall setup and light mass on the slide?   Are you using it with a 5" slide?    Are there too many ports with this setup?   thanks

Also are the barrels .355 dia?   So if you shoot 115 gr bullets should you find a barrel with a .355 bore?    

JJanglin, what bullets are you shooting with the TriBrid?

Would 115s be too much or loud?   thanks

Dave:

Im shooting 124 zero with 9.4 3n38 and 115

remingtons with 7.4 n330-tribred works good with

both best thing to do is decide what you want

and just shoot it-Im a gunsmith and do a lot more

fiddling around with differant set ups - I think all

of schuemann 9mm/38 super barrels are .355.

My favorite setup is a schuemann three port hybrid

barrel with BP Techs bull comp-3n38 works good

with about everything Ive tried I also like n340

with 124 bullets.

Jim Anglin

SAilors Custom Pistols

• 4 weeks later...

STI -Did a test in switzherland they tested I believe 8

of the top comps theirs did the best (S1 &S2),dawson and egw

close and they did have bp-techs comp in their all

of em except STI,dawson&egw were way off from

from these top three ,they wont give much info

on the test ,they didnt do it to cut down the other

comps-the test was done on an upscale test

platform-ASK STI for more info ya wont get much

this is understandable to me -I just wish id known

about the test  before now it would have saved me

a lot of testing and money.

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom Pistols

jjangle, can you explain which were the top three?   First you said STI,Dawson and EGW.  Then you said they were not in the top three?    Maybe I miss understood.

Where were the TriBrids?    Are they not as good as the others?  thanks

Iam confused.  I going to build a Open gun but i really dont what way to go with comps!  A TridBrid look cool.  But  a tituman comp is cool too!   Jus dont know.    Help someone!   Would I use a bull barrel or not?   and just a cone comp?   thanks

CHI

Guess it does sound a bit confusing (sorry) STI

S1 &S2 tested best out of the eight they tested

Dawson & EGW where close all the others where

way behind .I was really surprised cause Ive been using

the BP-Techs comp and thought it was the really good,

guess not .I dont doubt STI they are a class act-Ive used

primarily SVI stuff for years but its just to hard to get

parts form them to be a reliable source anymore.

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom Pistols